I think I know the answer but...

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
...just following up on the other rules thread on here (if I swing and miss is it a stroke)?

If I line up to take a tee shot, but tap the ball with my driver accidentally to knock it off the tee, am I correct in assuming it is a stroke?

Or, can the ball be replaced and the shot taken without penalty?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a bounce game, we don't tend to count them as strokes...We just tend to do a resounding "one" stroke count to whoever's on the tee. That joke never gets old. ;)

But in "proper" play, I'd imagine it's a stroke as the ball has moved from it's original resting place.

centuryg5

Head Pro
Visit site
1)If you take your stance,and swing to hit the ball fairly,and you miss it, its a stroke played(known as an airshot) :eek: :eek: :eek:
2) on addressing your ball,and you knock it off its peg,re-tee it,no penalty,.. you will be embarrassed,and some knob will comment "one". :eek: :D

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
1)If you take your stance,and swing to hit the ball fairly,and you miss it, its a stroke played(known as an airshot) :eek: :eek: :eek:
2) on addressing your ball,and you knock it off its peg,re-tee it,no penalty,.. you will be embarrassed,and some knob will comment "one". :eek: :D

I agree

A

Alex1975

LOL! but ye, the joke never gets old.

the key point is if you INTENDED to strike the ball and INTENDED a stroke, if you miss its 1 shot.

On the Tee the ball isnt in play until you make an intended swing ie knocking it off while addressing it is no penalty just embarrassing :eek:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting advice on rules from the forum is all well and good but everyone really should be looking at the r&a rules explorer on line or get the hard copy.

This is such a basic rule of golf, alarming that it's being interpreted incorrectly!?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep, agreed it's not a stroke

Funny enough, if you tee up and take a practice swing and accidently hit the ball it's not a stroke either and you can replace it and play again. This only applies on a tee ground as the ballis not in play as it would be on the rest of the hole

Funny game, golf!

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Getting advice on rules from the forum is all well and good but everyone really should be looking at the r&a rules explorer on line or get the hard copy.

This is such a basic rule of golf, alarming that it's being interpreted incorrectly!?

I blame the way the rules are written for such a wide variety of the way they are interpreted. The way they are written encourages grey area's/

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
on addressing your ball,and you knock it off its peg,re-tee it,no penalty,.. you will be embarrassed,and some knob will comment "one". :eek: :D

Yeah but it would be against the ettiquette of Banter to not say it...!! :D :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
re the old "one" saying, i mortified a newbie saturday when he did this and i said "three off the tee!"

he got all huffy and i explained that the one was the knocking it off the tee, a penilty of one stroke for replacing it on the tee, and the third was he's next stroke at the ball, what was great was the other 2 in the group all knew where i was going and went along with it with a straight face.... fantastic!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
CVG and me do this to Fragger quite a lot - sometimes he falls for it and sometimes we don't get away with it. Making up rules is fun!!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

I blame the way the rules are written for such a wide variety of the way they are interpreted. The way they are written encourages grey area's/

Fair comment to an extent, but they are written to cover a game played on differing "pitches" which cover many square miles. Once you get your head around the use of words should/ can/ must etc they all become fairly straight forward or at least the bulk of them that you will encounter regularly are.

It's amazing that there are so many people who are so "into" the game, swing technique and club technicalities but have not got any real grasp on the rules to play under. Can't think of another sport where someone would play in competition without knowing the rules ( regardless of whether they follow them)

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
re the old "one" saying, i mortified a newbie saturday when he did this and i said "three off the tee!"

he got all huffy and i explained that the one was the knocking it off the tee, a penilty of one stroke for replacing it on the tee, and the third was he's next stroke at the ball, what was great was the other 2 in the group all knew where i was going and went along with it with a straight face.... fantastic!

:D :D :D :D

Brilliant!! :D

You have to say "one", it's pure comedy! :)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got caught out by this one when I started in November. I knocked it off on address and was made take a penalty so dropped 2 shots before I even got on the course properly! I didn't question the person about it because I am new to the game and they are an "old hand". Wish I knew the rule then and I could have challenged it. Know the rules is almost as important to save strokes as the swing in some cases :D

Specific rule on the above is 11-3 Ball Falling off Tee

Another common one which catches people out is accidentally moving the ball while marking on the green. If the movement is directly due to marking then there is no penalty the ball can be replaced on it's original spot and then marked.

Dropping the marker on the ball and causing movement is not directly attributed to marking and therefore is a penalty ans Ian Poulter can tell you. Ball and ball marker are interchangeable under this rule. ie move ball when marking or move marker when replacing ball.

Rule 20-1 and 18-6