I really need some advice!!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
good luck hana, have fun.

Eagle i have tried so many times to get him back into it, he could easily go back into greenkeeping or teaching juniors but he just doesnt want to, i guess the stress of skills to pay the bills has took its toll, he was meant to be going to oz to a coaching academy paid by his sponsor, (callaway) but they dropped his funding to 50% last minute so he pulled out. Now he just wants to play for fun.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
You will also have to put up with some spotty teenager who does not know his arse from elbow about golf trying to sell you F.A.S.T irons.
Spot on! Agree entirely but I don't dimiss JJB as lightly as some. As mentioned in an earlier post, I bought Ping G5 driver from JJB, brand new for just under £100 about three months ago but only because I knew what I wanted (9 deg stiff Aldila etc)
Their web site (http://www.jjbgolf.co.uk/formats/00...px&numshow=10&sortnum=1&sortorder=a&pagenum=2) shows the sort of kit my local store sells (Callaway, Ping etc - latest models)and I find it handy to try any I am interested in - quite often my local pro cannot stock a wide range.

hanalav123

Visit site
Hi everyone, back from american golf. They were really helpful, i explained my situation to someone in there who happened to be the assistant manager, and he said lets measure your finger tip to floor measurement and he said that a ladies size is just right for me, a junior would be too small... The cheapest set was £183 which was a little over budget, so he recomended a petron set which is a full set with bag which was reduced to £63. My other half also managed to get a wilson wood secondhand for a good price.
i am going to test them out tomorrow, hope they are ok.

Thanks again for all your help

Hannah

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glad we can help! Hope they work for you, but if they dont, dont kid ya self that they do!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
There seems to be a bit of a downer on JJB but have to say that the one attached to my local range a) had the gear (mostly,and it was only golf gear) and b) the staff seemed to know what's what (but you don't need to know much to know more than me). Only concern I'd have with them is that I've heard the company is financially struggling at moment (presumably why the one at the range has just shut), so after sales etc could be problematic.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
JJB have not been in great shape for a while. Personaly, I'd like to see them stock more mainstream gear. Although I want to protect pros and to a lesser extent golf stores, there is a market for golf gear for folks that would never go to a pro or AG/DG/NB etc. But JJB seem to look at the bottome line with the price and bring in speciality lines (like the Taylor Made stuff (R5XL)) which are ok, but seem lower quality to me. If JJB or Sports World or even Tesco used their buying power, they could pick up a few thousand sets of irons made by a premium manufacturer. Rather than the occasional golfer out there playing slazenger or maxfli, they could be using taylor made/callaway/macgregor. I don't feel it would be lost sales to pro because it's a different market.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My local Tesco is stocking ever more obscure sports equipment and has even been selling own label riding gear and some diving kit. I am sure that it is only a matter of time before Tesco turns its purchasing power to golf. I can just see them doing a roaring trade in grey imports of top name gear as they did with Ralph Lauren shirts a few years ago.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just in case backwoodsman notices my comment about R5XL, I ought to eleborate and say that I thought these clubs were actually rather good and great value as well. But, I think a few state-of-the-art, bang-up-to-date kit on the shelves wouldn't harm, since reputation is important in business; and as good as some of the JJB gear is (some nice balls, some good clubs (R5XL), the odd decent iron and putter, I don't see many regular players recommending these types of store to their mates. Take Tesco as an example; I'd recommend anyone looking here for a dvd player or LCD TV, because they stock cheap, medium and premium lines. Until JJB and Sports World actually hold some stock to rival AG/DG/NB, they are unlikely to get much going with a certain type of buyer.

I think the £5m + fine must have hurt.......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is my understanding that the bloke (something Whelan) who owns JJB and Wigan is experiencing some problems behind the scenes with a power battle and is therefore not looking to invest anymore money until he is certain he can retain power. Given that and the huge fine they had would explain why they haven't got the buying power to invest in better equipment and why some stores are falling by the wayside

hanalav123

Visit site
My local Tesco is stocking ever more obscure sports equipment and has even been selling own label riding gear and some diving kit. I am sure that it is only a matter of time before Tesco turns its purchasing power to golf. I can just see them doing a roaring trade in grey imports of top name gear as they did with Ralph Lauren shirts a few years ago.

Well in my kind of local tesco (the massive type) they are selling golf stuff! from trolleys to bags, i got some tesco value tees for 11p doubt they will be much good.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Tesco is selling Top-flite Z balata balls.....not a bad ball if I remember. The bags and gloves and wood covers are not my style, them again, nor is Tesco.....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just in case backwoodsman notices my comment about R5XL, I ought to eleborate .......

He noticed, he noticed.......

And for info, he has swapped back to using his £6.00 Dunlop driver instead of the R5XL. Spanked some beauties with it yesterday - just a shame about the rest of the rotten performance.