I really don't understand the golf swing!!!

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try as I might, I really can't get my head around the classic parallel stance golf swing.
It just feels all wrong to me, I lose control of the club on the backswing, I can't get any body movement (weight distribution) on the downswing & I cannot create any wrist lag at impact, the whole swing feels awkward & clumsy.

However
If I open up my stance so my feet & left shoulder are pointing way left of the target & align the club face at the target then I can suddenly play really good golf.
I find that all of a sudden, I can get my weight moving forward on the downswing, I get really nice lag on the wrists & the whole movement feels natural & in sync.
I play with a three quarter swing to keep the movement in sync & compact.
I find that playing this way I hit the ball really straight & with power, I drive the ball around 220 - 230 yards usually straight & my irons are also pretty good playing this way, I usually take a small divot after the ball with most clubs.

I was thinking about this the other day whilst on the practice area.
If you were to throw a tennis or cricket ball to someone, you wouldn't align yourself parallel with them, you would adopt an open stance to throw it?
So why should the golf swing be any different?
Or am I barking up completely the wrong tree here?
Is it a question of whatever works for me, then stick with it?

​Your comments would be appreciated.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems pretty sensible to me!

Though not sure about 'way left'. A little (up to 10 degrees) seems to work best for me.

There may be some issues, as this encourages an out to in swing - which can be destructive for Driver.

Golf swing is marginally, but significantly, different from throwing or other ball/bat/stick actions.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you open your stance then the ball tends to creep towards the back foot and/or the upper body too much in front of the ball - this can make your swing path too steep.

It's not the end of the world to play as you describe, Bubba Watson manages.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have my right foot square and flare the left foot open. My pro wants me to do this to give me more room to exit left as we've been working on. I feel I have loads more room to get the club in front of me at impact and hit down. If it feels right and the ball is behaving as you want then go for it

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to play with a straight of slightly closed stance and always felt like I was trapping myself to the point I couldn't release the club properly. A friend noticed this and opened my stance a little but kept everything else on the target line. I now feel freer in my swing, I've slowed the swing down but kept or increased the distance I hit it and most of all I don't slice the ball anywhere near as much. It also help me "move" the ball back in my stance which has helped me get a cleaner strike.
It shouldn't work, in my head anyway, but it's working and I'm sticking with it.