I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played last night, strong wind and the squall that came in made me pack up 2 holes early.
I was also exhausted as well, my hips had given up so I am unfit !
I have a competition at the weekend so I will resort to the electric trolley and take a load off. Also will stretch out all my leg and back muscles. The lack of ACLs causes tight calves and quads which then pull every around .. if I get them loose then all is good

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors Greensome today, course was in better condition than I was expecting although the rain started half way round and was still hammering down when I left the clubhouse.

We played well on the front nine to be 3 under handicap but let it slip on the back nine and finished with a nett one under 71, unlikely to be enough although we were off the white tees and it was windy and wet so who knows...

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played 9 holes in pouring rain with 5 others in the Fiddle. I was keen to go out as wanted to try out contacts for the first time and new waterproof shoes. Contacts worked well but shoes had wetness around the heels but not surprising given the rain and sodden ground . Waterproof trousers leaked through the pockets :(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have not golfed my ball with any authority during the last 2 days....in fact its been downright average to gash.......
Competition tomorrow......expectations akin to a snake's underbelly......
Which means I'll probably roast the course and my mate's son, who is averaging 2 over par for the last 3 rounds, will have a stinker..
More on this tomorrow

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors Greensome today, course was in better condition than I was expecting although the rain started half way round and was still hammering down when I left the clubhouse.

We played well on the front nine to be 3 under handicap but let it slip on the back nine and finished with a nett one under 71, unlikely to be enough although we were off the white tees and it was windy and wet so who knows...

Third place, needed to save two shots to have won.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Played my first round as a nomad today. Enjoyed the course Braehead in Alloa, bit wet in places but better than I was expecting to be honest.
Hit my irons better than I have in ages so my putting goes to crap. Might be I hit a lot of greens I would usually miss so less chips and more long putts.🤷

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a 6600 yard course today with absolutely no run due to the soggy conditions. Not an inch of run on the ball. Playing in a swindle where we all play off scratch. I managed 30 points. It was hard.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1st time this year that our tees have been fully off the grass, what a difference to playing off mats. I was cooking on gas for the first six holes and two under par. Then jumped on the bogey train and fired off four on the trot. Two more birdies and two more bogeys saw me finish at 2 over par for 34 points in the swindle and missed the money by one shot. Course is drying out nicely.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Excellent away day yesterday, played at Barassie Links in Ayr alongside IanM, his mate big Steve, and Jamie, another pal of ours.

Fantastic track with a lot of gorse in bloom, some absolutely stunning looking golf holes. A tad damp in places but that did not detract from the day’s enjoyment. Weather was almost kind, a stiff breeze for most of the day which ultimately delivered a proper soaking over the last 3 holes or so. Very happy with a solid 82 helping me and Steve pocket the bragging rights.

Followed the round with a superb plateful of fish & chips in the clubhouse. 3 of us mortals settled for the regular platter, which was more than enough. Big Steve polished off the large platter with a piece of fish big enough to “batter” you senseless…….

I headed off after eating as had a 2 hour drive and had to navigate through Glasgow’s Friday night rush hour. The other three decided to stay and play the 9 hole course, may have tried that if my clubs weren’t still swimming in my golf bag….

All in a terrific day full of fun and laughs. If you’re ever up Ayr way, Barassie is definitely worth a visit.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Excellent away day yesterday, played at Barassie Links in Ayr alongside IanM, his mate big Steve, and Jamie, another pal of ours.

Fantastic track with a lot of gorse in bloom, some absolutely stunning looking golf holes. A tad damp in places but that did not detract from the day’s enjoyment. Weather was almost kind, a stiff breeze for most of the day which ultimately delivered a proper soaking over the last 3 holes or so. Very happy with a solid 82 helping me and Steve pocket the bragging rights.

Followed the round with a superb plateful of fish & chips in the clubhouse. 3 of us mortals settled for the regular platter, which was more than enough. Big Steve polished off the large platter with a piece of fish big enough to “batter” you senseless…….

I headed off after eating as had a 2 hour drive and had to navigate through Glasgow’s Friday night rush hour. The other three decided to stay and play the 9 hole course, may have tried that if my clubs weren’t still swimming in my golf bag….

All in a terrific day full of fun and laughs. If you’re ever up Ayr way, Barassie is definitely worth a visit.

Absolutely echo the comments. The 9 holer is worth playing too. Really good holes on it.

Stayed dry and windy for that and it dried our stuff off!😉

Abandoned plans for Nairn today as weather filthy. Castle Stuart in a comp tomorrow, so will have to take whatever comes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I flew back from Scotland early while my wife and daughter stayed up there as I'm going to a gig tonight - got off the plane and it was like going on holiday! Except I was in Luton. But it was roasting, almost 20°. I got home at 1pm, immediately got changed and straight out to the course on my own, just played nine holes. Couldn't waste that weather.

Started on 17th, big hook off the tee, but a glorious 7 iron over trees from the wrong hole to 12 feet - two putt par. 18th, huge slice right, pitched one over the trees, then a 30 yard lofted chip to the elevated green and holed an 8 footer for par. Onto the 1st, big heely cut with 7 wood that somehow found the green, two-putt par. Thought I was on way to the scramblyest level par round ever, but the 2nd hole kicked my arse and gave me a snowman instead. Played well for the rest of it, excluding a couple of wayward tee shots, playing down to the 6th and then hopped across to play the 16th to finish. Ended up with 18 points for nine holes, so very nice considering no warm-up or preparation at all. 😁

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Best 2 from 4 AmAm at my club today.
But one player designated on each hole and best 1 from 3 for the other score. Puts one player under pressure each hole.
We had only one zero from a designated player and that was the one hole I birdied - so 3 points on that hole.
We had a good finish with me and designated player both making nett birdies on the 17th (6 points) and a steady par from me on the last as designated player with another chap making nett birdie.
We finished 3rd out of 29 teams with 77 points total. Tiny bit more pro shop credit to start the competitive year.
Course is still very boggy, but tees and greens are OK.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bideford Bay Foursomes on The East Course at Saunton today with HiD..IanM you are one lucky guy to play here, what a fabulous course and setting . 62nd out of 162 for our first outing ,will take that.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Bideford Bay Foursomes on The East Course at Saunton today with HiD..IanM you are one lucky guy to play here, what a fabulous course and setting . 62nd out of 162 for our first outing ,will take that.

Glad you enjoyed it. Don't overlook playing the West at some point. You had decent weather too!

Have fun at RND tomorrow.