I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Had a decent short game going today :eek:
Apart from a couple of double bogeys I played okay for an 81 gross and 41 points Stableford.

Walter Hagen 1, 3 & 4 woods (made by Wilson)
Wilson Staff DynaPower, Turfrider Sole, 2 to PW, plus Wilson DynaPower SW
Wilson 8813 putter
All in a nice Wilson bag.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was our last qualifier of the year last weekend (course work began on Monday to redesign the 9th) and I finished it off in style with a gross 88. :ROFLMAO: Just one of those days were the swing was slightly off and I kept hitting the big ball before the little ball which you can sometimes get away with in summer but not on soft, wet fairways.

Still, been a brilliant year as I was hoping to get down to 4.4 but have managed to get to 3.7 which is better than I could ever have imagined. The tough part now is all psychological and convincing myself that I can actually play to this handicap. I think the fact I've never shot a level par or better round and I have days like Saturday make me think that I'm playing to a false handicap as in my head guys off of 5 and under just don't have rounds like Saturday and have shot level par at least once in their life.

Might be time to read more Bob Rotella books over the winter.

Finished up on 17.0. Was 19.2 at the start of the season, so going in the right direction at least.

I was going to say that I do feel my game has improved a lot this year, but had an absolute car crash 24 points this morning, so will park that thought for a while. Not sure what went wrong as have been playing well recently with 37, 37 and 35 points in the last 3 seniors comps.

Thinking about it, was 5 mins late leaving the house, stupidly took the A19 which was at a standstill for a mile before the roundabout, had to rush round to the par 5 10th, no time for a hit in the net, or a few putts and chips beside the 1st, so was totally cold. Hit a great drive and second to be in the middle of the fairway less than 100 yards out, and proceeded to take 7, that set the tone for the round.

Drove well and hit my hybrids well, irons and short game were shocking.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Struggling to score at the moment - riding the bogey train.

Feels like good golf is in there - it wasn't long ago that I had a run of 6 counting scores in a row - my handicap tumbled and now I'm struggling to play anywhere near it!

If I could just sort out my irons, ill be back in a decent place, but that's easier said than done! My swing feels like its in bits!

Not expecting more than about 25 points from Hayling next week!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Struggling to score at the moment - riding the bogey train.

Feels like good golf is in there - it wasn't long ago that I had a run of 6 counting scores in a row - my handicap tumbled and now I'm struggling to play anywhere near it!

If I could just sort out my irons, ill be back in a decent place, but that's easier said than done! My swing feels like its in bits!

Not expecting more than about 25 points from Hayling next week!
I guess you've gone a similar way to me lately. Personally I find that now I've got to the level I'm at, I sorely miss having shots on some of the par 3s (which are typically the first ones you lose shots on) - seeing as I can't hit the flipping green. I'd much rather lose a shot on a simple par 4 but it doesn't seem to go that way. And even if I hit the green they are tough ones and I don't have the three-putt safety blanket.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I guess you've gone a similar way to me lately. Personally I find that now I've got to the level I'm at, I sorely miss having shots on some of the par 3s (which are typically the first ones you lose shots on) - seeing as I can't hit the flipping green. I'd much rather lose a shot on a simple par 4 but it doesn't seem to go that way. And even if I hit the green they are tough ones and I don't have the three-putt safety blanket.

This in abundance!

From 16-12 every hole I lose a shot on is a par 3.

So pretty much 4 points per round I miss out on there :ROFLMAO: Its a mental barrier I know, but its not an easy one.

In other news - G1Z1 is now off single digits!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This in abundance!

From 16-12 every hole I lose a shot on is a par 3.

So pretty much 4 points per round I miss out on there :ROFLMAO: Its a mental barrier I know, but its not an easy one.
Yeah, it's funny how things change. I remember I used to like par 3s, because they were shorter I guess. Take away my shot and suddenly I don't like par 3s anymore. ?

In other news - G1Z1 is now off single digits!!!
Haha, you know what they say, the 33rd teaching pro is the charm.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah, it's funny how things change. I remember I used to like par 3s, because they were shorter I guess. Take away my shot and suddenly I don't like par 3s anymore. ?

Haha, you know what they say, the 33rd teaching pro is the charm.

Big time!

I'm just not that good, need to go back up again! 15 was nice :ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played a 2 from 3 AM-AM today off front tees. Pretty standard fare from me. 2 over gross front 9, then usual struggle over back 9 dropping 6 to par. So in total 8 over gross which is pretty much to my CH off front tees.

But again as usual, I was hugely frustrated with my inability to get an even vaguely decent strike with 7, 6 and 5 irons. 7 perhaps produces passable outcomes, 6 and 5 are just embarrassingly rank. Ah well.

Smoj

Visit site
Went out on my own today and it was lovely. last time I played this course (Christchurch Golf Club) I crumbled and shot my worst ever round 120.. decided to go out on my own today and slay the dragon and went around in 93 (one more than my best at the course)

also had a near hole in one, which would of been typical playing on my own and getting a hole in 1.

but feel good, and back out playing there again on tuesday to try and better today.

Attachments

• 311460334_5472816242787451_1157906166337332927_n.jpg
    311460334_5472816242787451_1157906166337332927_n.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 19.02.47.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 19.02.47.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 8

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Medal day today but my PP couldn't make it.
All the rest of the slots had 3 balls ( no 4 balls before 2.30 on comp days) so nowhere to go. Luckily 1st out.
So I went solo playing it as a medal
Nett 72 (+1) would have me just out of the prizes but I did get a 2.....
No doubles which is always pleasing..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played 27 holes today .
It was like a summer day.
Played very well ,our course looks stunning and has recovered from the hot weather really good.
Had my flu jab after golf and feel a bit crap now

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in a senior open at Trump International and is as good as I remember it the first time I played there, a brilliant course the best I’ve played, lucky with the weather a really good day. Lost a few drives in the dunes, took 3 to get out of a bunker and finished on 29 points, 43 points won and the two guys on 40 points must have thought they had a chance.

They played us off the green tees so it made it shorter, only downside was no tea/coffee bacon roll on arrival.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thinking back about the day now it’s was socially the worst open I’ve played only 2 other players in the clubhouse, it’s the only open I’ve played where everyone didn’t gather for a meal and prize giving afterwards, the clubhouse isn’t that good for such a prestigious course.

But saying that it doesn’t detract from the experience of playing a wonderful golf course.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great day as always. Thanks guys, really enjoyed it. I don't mind funding your pensions :rolleyes:

Pyecombe hosted by Golfmmad, Cooden hosted by Smiffy, Westerham to be hosted by ?????? (not mentioned), and Sundridge to be hosted by Leftie, but Bratty now wimping out as it could be too difficult for his h/cap - sorry, no holidays left :unsure:

It could be a Wednesday in the next 2/3/4/5 weeks, anyone interested?
Possibly interested - but being a bit thick here - not sure what one is interested in. Sundridge? If so, fancied playing there as its sort of just round the corner. Possibly can't reciprocate though - Dulwich likely to develop its usual winter mud before too long and am likely to have moved north before it comes good again next spring. Bear me in mind if a space needs filling?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a friendly one off the yellows. Front nine was a proper mixed bag! Points wise it started 3,1,1,3 and then 4,0,0,4 which was a birdie at the 5th and 8th sandwiching a double and a triple. Ended up 18 points for the first half. Back nine was way more consistent, 21 points with nothing worse than 2-pointer, and including a third birdie of the day. 78 gross for 39 points in the end. Very happy with that.

Still had the occasional left pull with the driver which has been troubling me lately. Irons were struck well on the front nine and badly on the back nine for some reason, but chipping and putting was mostly good throughout hence the good score in the end.

Didn't win though as my bandit mate shot 91 off 29 for 42 points! At least he was putting a card in. ?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Played North Downs off the back tees... 5,800, par 69. Shot a 77 / 38 points, 2 under handicap (off 10 there, as it's 117).
It's a really quirky course, and some rather short par 4s (e.g. 269, 275) but not that easy. Greens were really damp and hadn't been cut recently, but looked lovely. But also slooooow. Left almost every putt short, as I just couldn't convince myself to hit them hard enough!
It's worth a visit if you can get a deal on the green fee for sure.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good shooting around there. Always thought it strange that the 5th is a par 5 at 457 yds, slightly downhill and usually wind assisted while the 6th is a par 4, 458 yds, slightly up hill towards the green and usually wind against.

1st hole is a slicer's nightmare :eek:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Good shooting around there. Always thought it strange that the 5th is a par 5 at 457 yds, slightly downhill and usually wind assisted while the 6th is a par 4, 458 yds, slightly up hill towards the green and usually wind against.

1st hole is a slicer's nightmare :eek:
Cheers. You're not alone: the four of us all said the same thing! On the 6th, I hit the driver well and still had 235 yards to reach the green (managed to put a 3 wood pin high to the right of the green). Into wind.
The trick with the first was to hit 4 iron flush down the middle to leave 58 yards to the pin, rather than carve my driver on to the road and into the parked cars!!