I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from a Sunday driver deal at Forest Pines. We haven't been for about 5/6 years and all 3 of us couldn't really remember much about the trip - the course, hotel, food etc.

Massively impressed. I'd read about the forum meet and the slow service etc but we didn't have any of the that, the food was good, not brilliant but good enough. The bar prices are cheaper than most hotel bars and bars in town (about £4 a pint) and most importantly the 3 courses were fantastic. Each 9 different, all very playable and in very good condition.

I played rubbish!! Lol. I played ok on Beeches, thought Forest was the best 9 but the toughest too. Got round yesterday in under 4 hours.

Back out this morning on Forest and Pines. Horrendous 6 holes (tired/slightly hungover) but then put a few good holes together. Unfortunately at Pines we got stuck behind 3 slow 4balls and it took around 4.30but still better other resort style courses.

My distance was shocking on my driver and hybrid, short game very average and just off with my putting. Unfortunately one of them rounds were it kind of all goes but we were there to have a couple of rounds, beers, food and a catch up. Which we did.

We'll definitely be back, very impressed, the par 5 5th on Forest is a stunning hole, really enjoyed it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Went out late yesterday for 5 holes…just because I can and I felt like it…? And on the 2nd I hit a couple of 5i approach shots that made me catch my breath and mutter Wow! And likewise on our par 3 3rd, hit a couple more onto the green. Four shots very close, if not spot on, to what I have been working on to achieve with new approach to hitting the ball. Joys!

Of course two holes later in the gathering gloom as I played my final hole of the evening I hit a couple of real messy ones…total duffs tbh - but that’s ok cos that’s golf ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Very frustrating day.

Driving was exceptional, but struggled with my irons and wedges. Pulled a lot of irons left for some reason - been hitting them straight for a while now, but something went wrong. Knock on result was i found myself in lots of bunkers. Low point was on 200 yard par 3 4th, hit a decent hybrid off the tee, it landed on the green, crept into a bunker, and I just couldn't get it out in 3 attempts. Totally did my head in for a few holes, stewing about that.

Managed to scramble 30 points, but not a good day.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shot 102 at Burley in the New Forest. Took 14 (!) on the 107 yard, par 3 second. Had some serious travails in the huge, deep bunker in front of the green. Other than that, played pretty well!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Went out late yesterday for 5 holes…just because I can and I felt like it…? And on the 2nd I hit a couple of 5i approach shots that made me catch my breath and mutter Wow! And likewise on our par 3 3rd, hit a couple more onto the green. Four shots very close, if not spot on, to what I have been working on to achieve with new approach to hitting the ball. Joys!

Of course two holes later in the gathering gloom as I played my final hole of the evening I hit a couple of real messy ones…total duffs tbh - but that’s ok cos that’s golf ?
Isn't that what it really is all about?
A long double breaking putt that you read correctly, never deviates from the line and goes in plumb centre. The drive that splits the fairway or the chip that is flushed and runs perfectly up to the hole. It's what makes this game and has us all returning.
But that all pales into insignificance when considered against the flushed long iron. The barely inaudible click, the perfect trajectory and the fact that the ball just seems to soar forever before coming to a stop, dancing around the hole. Delightful and enduring.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Just back from a couple of days trip to East Lothian where we played Gullane number 2 on Monday and North Berwick yesterday. Loved them both. The new practice facility and refurbished visitors clubhouse at Gullane are both great - I've been in the members clubhouse there and preferred the visitors one.

Some lovely holes on both courses and the views of the Firth of Forth are great from both too.

IMG_6094.jpg
Par three 11th at Gullane #2 with Craigielaw and Kilspindie across the bay

IMG_6102.jpg
7th green and guarding burn at North Berwick

IMG_6103.jpg
'Don't mess with the wall it's older than you' - tricky approach on the 13th 'Pit' at North Berwick

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think my putter spen the night in the freezer - ice cold today, didn't hole a thing over 3 feet...
Managed a measly 26 points without losing a ball or any penalty shots..so many 1 point holes...
Pathetic...

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Started really well today, only dropped a couple of shots after the first six holes and then one of my playing partners said those words you don't want to hear......."You're playing really, really well. You could win this"...... Thanks mate
????

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
15 holes before sun down .. nice and relaxed , one birdie, one double, a few bogeys here and there and some pars. Getting to grip with it all and hitting the ball okay … but short game is atrocious dunno why just seem to be really non committed and playing dread strokes. Putting is fine starting to get to terms with the greens and I know I have been there 5/6 years but this year is the most consistent year of play

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played thr quarter final of one of the club knock outs today, played garbage and got beat, giving away 15 shots. I'd have had to played out of my skin to have had a chance,he was pretty steady and didn't miss a fairway. Played the same guy 2 years ago and he was off 12 then.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I should have had my best score ever today, I certainly played well enough sadly once again my putting let me down, 4 three putts and another couple of putting misses after chipping close, I did finish 10 over which is bang on handicap but it really should have been several shots less. I just cannot stop looking for putts to drop instead of keeping my head down and listening.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Played 9 holes tonight after work with just 5 clubs. Played awful, my swing didn't feel like it belonged to me.
Started with a triple then a pair of bogies. Made a nice birdie on four and a par on six, then bogies in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driving range with the missus. I'm slicing all my woods and hybrids quite a lot at the moment. Didn't find the solution, just sliced them some more. She hit some tops until she warmed up, then some decent ones. 7 iron going 80-90 yards maybe. She thinks it's pathetic but I just try and keep her positive and tell her when she's striking it consistently she can start adding a bit of speed and try and get the distance up later. The main thing that impressed me was her decent ones were all dead straight as well. A few hooky ones with the three wood though.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shot 103 at Meon Valley. Hit 10 fairways and wasnt far off on the other drives but continually wasted good opportunities. Chipped really poorly. Officially frustrated. :mad:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played Ellesmere just outside of Manchester as I'd been for a putter fitting at Trafford golf. Nice little track!

Mixed to say the least. Didn't bother scoring but my approach play and putting was absolutely dire.

Plenty to work on.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Northwood, decent course well presented. To many blind tee shots for my liking. Couple BS par 4‘s that annoyed me.

Probably need to a play it a couple of times to know where to put it on a few holes.