I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
36 Hole Medal Comp yesterday, 82 in the morning found some form with the driver & irons but short game & putting have gone to pot. 92 in the afternoon looked worse than it was couple of trebles an and a quadruple killed the card.

38 putts both rounds ?, but the 82 resulted in 0.1 cut.

Best round drops off next week so the HI should go up by ~1.8 just in time for the winter knockouts?
Ooh, naughty. No it shouldn't! Don't be saying that in print. Think it maybe, but don't say it.
You should equal that best score so your handicap stays the same. ;)

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ooh, naughty. No it shouldn't! Don't be saying that in print. Think it maybe, but don't say it.
You should equal that best score so your handicap stays the same. ;)
Nothing sinister here I’d love to equal it, but when one score affects your HI but that amount it is clearly unlikely it will happen again.

1631444116412.jpeg

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the day off for a birthday round, and as my wife has started playing recently I went with her and my dad to the 18 hole par 3 course at Wycombe Heights. The third hole was missing though so we played the 18th twice to make up for it. ? It was good fun though, holes between 80 and 150 yards, but some of the greens were hellish, and some of them had run off areas where you miss the green by a yard and your ball is off down the hill! I played quite well, no birdies sadly but only 3s and 4s on the card, 8 pars 10 bogeys. My dad played well too and even my wife got one par and one bogey, so we all enjoyed it.

My new shoes were very comfortable, and the new putter felt good too, although it was tough to judge on these greens. Mostly I'm really enjoying playing these extra rounds on short courses now that my wife has taken it up, my short game is definitely improving, I played a handful of good chips today.

What were the greens like? We used to land on them and add two to the score and walk on. LOL.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
@HampshireHog

Wow! Did you win a comp? By how many shots ahead of second place? When was it?
Won by 8 Shots on the day, this was back in July last year, so pre-WHS.

I’ve been a member at my club for 10 years and it was 6 shots better than anything I’d ever done before or since.

Really chuffed I managed to get the HI down further but it was always inevitable it was going to bounce when that round dropped off.

Your scores are very impressive, I’d love to play at that level. But I will always have that one standout round.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I might have met a sombrero wearer today. Not too sure though. Strangely when he was in trouble he hit the green every time. I did not think about it too deeply at the time, but in retrospect I have my doubts. When he got level with me he started beaming it at the flags which is not what your average mid teen handicapper does. There were a few comments that made me think a bit.
But if getting on the board is that important then so be it, I have been quite circumspect about my handicap and my integrity. I was worried I was taking the mik too much but when I play at my best and I am 2 under my handicap.. I haven’t bettered that this year and I haven’t done it regularly.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Played today, 14 handicap. Wike Ridge in West Yorkshire.

Par 72.

Greens had a disease which was unfortunate. Tee boxes a bit worse for wear.

Out in 40. (+5)
Back in 50. (+13)
8 pars
5 bogeys
4 doubles
1 triple
6 GIR

Had a 9 on par on the par 4 last hole (chipped two forty yard pitches in the lake after a 260 yard drive.

Golf eh?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played today, 14 handicap. Wike Ridge in West Yorkshire.

Par 72.

Greens had a disease which was unfortunate. Tee boxes a bit worse for wear.

Out in 40. (+5)
Back in 50. (+13)
8 pars
5 bogeys
4 doubles
1 triple
6 GIR

Had a 9 on par on the par 4 last hole (chipped two forty yard pitches in the lake after a 260 yard drive.

Golf eh?
Bit of a Van de Velde moment was it? :confused:
Still, look on the bright side. You know you can get down in two from 40 yards on the last. :)

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Bit of a Van de Velde moment was it? :confused:
Still, look on the bright side. You know you can get down in two from 40 yards on the last. :)

Yeah lol. Great drive which landed in the rough about 5 yards from the lake (I actually thought it had gone in). Had loads of green to aim for but just didn't hit both hard enough. Schoolboy errors.

Frustrating, but not as frustrating as last year when I needed a four on the last at Cookridge for a 79 and hit two sh@nks.

Still not broken 80, but I'm otherwise playing some great golf so it will come. A few rounds ago my last 72 hole scores were

+44 for 64 holes?
+50 for 8 holes ?

#duckhook

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Another round, another decent score thrown away, as I can’t keep the doubles off the card. Add in the fact I couldn’t hole any of the decent birdie chances I had today, and it wasn’t a good day at the office, made worse that as a 2ball we weren’t being let through, we got the “going to be a slow one today” as they walked off a tee just ahead of us - spoke to the Marshall, but he was only interested in making sure everyone had paid.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Played in a society outing today and finished +15 off of 9 so 6 over for a joint 4th place. Felt like I played well just needed to hit more greens. Can't seem to get up and down for par too many times two putting after short chips. At least I'm eventually learning what I've got to work on to improve. ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing a combined comp this morning. Team AM-AM 2 from 3 best s/Ford counting and individual s/Ford. I can see conflicts of interest arising as there will be occasions when what I should do to best advance the score of the team could be to the detriment of my personal score (Likewise for team partners).

It would be nice to do well in the individual as the trophy has been put up by the wife of the Captain the year my lad and I joined the club. He is no longer with us but was a fine gentleman who made both myself and my lad very welcome - and I and his wife always have nice little chats when we bump into each other.

Anyway. I will put team first and hope that any detrimental impact on my individual score does not matter in the end - which in truth is likely to be the case. We shall see.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played Ashbourne Golf, really enjoyed the course, pretty forgiving and some lovely holes, with interesting green complexes/placements.

Great views, fairly undulating, nice food on terrace. If you are in the area, play it, good food(bigger pictures if you click on pic below, then again on the next pic).

Also played in a club invitational on Sat.sunday, with a friend from Essex. We hacked and playing 18holes friday, 29 holes sat and then 18 holes sunday, meant far to pooped on Sunday for main pairs BB comp.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played the weekend in our club championships - Didn't break 100 either days - shanks and the yips!!!!!! Oh my days I feel like a sadist going back for more! I did stop the shanks on Sunday after 9 holes but the damage was too late. Thank you @bobmac as I remembered that youtube clip of your chipping and the yips began to subside.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Some more tidy golf yesterday! Plenty of shots left out there but very pleased with an 85!

37 points off my new handicap (2 shots less than before)

0.2 cut from my Index! Trending in the right direction!!!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played at Lindrick today in a Golf Collectors Society meeting, options to play hickory, classic or modern clubs.

I played classics using:
  • Titleist Tour Balata 90 balls
  • John Letters 1950s driver
  • 1957 George Nicoll "Henry Cotton" 2 to 10 irons to tie in with the year they held the Ryder Cup at the course
  • Pirie "Eric Brown" putter, Eirc was on the GB&I team and his singles match against Tommy Bolt was a competitive match as this report suggests:
"In the first singles match “Terrible” Tommy Bolt took on hardy Scotsman Eric Brown. In a hostile encounter, Bolt felt the partisan crowd overstepped the mark. “They cheered when I missed a putt and sat on their hands when I hit a good shot,” he said later.
When Brown took the win by 4&3 the pair did not shake hands. Afterwards Bolt told the press he hadn’t enjoyed the match before snapping a wedge in half in the locker room and refusing to attend the presentation."

The field of classic players was small, just the four of us! I was pretty happy with how I played, scoring on all holes except the 5th where my tee shot hit a tree resulting in a lost ball and a 7. Round in 89 for 33 points which was enough to win the classics section and a Ping Pal putter.
My best hole was the 13th where I hit a solid drive then a good 2 iron up to the right edge of the green and two putted for par.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got out for 9 with the vintage set. Really enjoyed myself, worked out my iron distances, basically it’s +2 . The woods, if middled or out the screws are still pretty long. I reckon the graphite shafted persimmon is possibly not too far off a modern club.
The srixon ad333 ball felt okay as well, probably a little heavier than a balata ( those were the days .. used to use a 100 compression Titleist balata) . The main worry was getting the loft or higher flight but I did, needs possibly a little more work on. The Mizuno TP18s felt nice but I did not hit anything longer than a 5 iron. It’s quite odd, your hitting less loft but shorter shafts .. which is quite nice. Ah well could be a honeymoon period and all be a shower of cobblers next time! Bag is very heavy!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another County event today for me interclub final at Bolton Golf Club, team of 4 playing medal, best 3 net scores counting to the team score, I had another good round 9 pars, and just one double bogey, for a gross 83, nett 73 the 3rd best score on the day, sadly the others in our team all scored in the net 80s so not a good team score, but I earned myself small cut, the 3rd 0.2 cut in the last 10 days.