I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
First qualifier of the year, July Medal, pretty windy day. Playing the Titleist persimmon driver, John Letters 2 1/2 wood, Dunlop Sixty Five 3 to SW and the "It-Sits" putter.
First tee nerves, what first tee nerves? Duck hooked my opening tee shot with the John Letters into a small pond about 25 yards in front of the tee. :oops: Played three off the tee and scored a quad bogey 8....

Next hole is a short par three and I somehow found the green and rattled in a long putt that was going like a train for a 2!

Left the Letters on the bench until the 8th where I hit a good tee shot with it. On to the 9th, 192 yard par 3 straight into into the wind, I hit the John Letters again and it was a peach to 18 feet and I holed the putt for another 2!

Had another quad bogey on the short par 3 12th where I ended up on a path with nowhere decent to drop, I won't bore you with the details....

On the 18th tee I worked out that in spite of some car-crash holes I needed a par and the CSS to go up by 1 shot for me to hit buffer, managed a good up and down from the rough 10 yards short of the green for par so now holding on for the CSS to come through.

93 net 79 and 33 points Stableford. I've had worse days, and the two 2s should get me my entry money back plus a bit more. :)

1593965955113.png 1593966175375.png

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Started with a birdie so only one way to go. Granted it was a 40 foot putt from the front of the green and only good for a half as my PP was inches from a hole in one. Actually played well until the 7th which I didn't score on. Out in 17 and given the ferocity of the wind I'd have taken. A few mistakes from 12-15 but stood on 18 level with my handicap. Great drive, decent second and about 150 to the flag but with the wind howling right to left I had to set it out over the pond. Horrid swing and a hurricane wasn't going to move it back to dry land. 34 points and we lost the friendly match 1 down but I'd taken that points total before going out. Really tough going

anji71

Visit site
Driving completey felt apart today. Hooking my new TM M6 driver. However, hitting my old Nike rescue beautifully to compensate. Might have to go back to Ping G400.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Driving completey felt apart today. Hooking my new TM M6 driver. However, hitting my old Nike rescue beautifully to compensate. Might have to go back to Ping G400.

My new G410 (3rd round put) going well. Stick with it I'm sure you'll get the TM working soon. Is there any difference in the set up of your Ping against the TM (loft, weight etc)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Crow, genuine question, do they run your handicap based on playing with that old gear?

I'm imagining you turning up one day with a modern set of clubs and shooting a net 60.

When I first started playing classic clubs it was only in casual play, but then I fancied having a go at a qualifier which got me asking that very question; if I have a bad round with the old clubs then it could be argued that I was deliberately trying to raise my handicap, although I try my utmost to return a competitive score every time.

The only way I could see which worked was to play all my competition golf using classic clubs, which is what I've done since start of 2018.

If I did switch back to modern clubs I think the difference would only be 2 or 3 shots, I play comps with a modern ball.
I can't see me switching back to modern clubs as classics are just so much more fun but if I do then I'll have a discussion with the handicap committee.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Lost our 4bbb semi final on the last hole yesterday. All 4 players gave of their best and there had to be a winner, sadly it wasnt us but it was a good, hard fought match.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Headed out tonight once the torrential rain stopped, pretty much had the course to myself. Was just out to get used to my new putter. Played pretty well with one blow up hole again, this time a 7 on par 3 4th hole.
Dont think im hitting the ball great but im getting around the course and 3rd round in a row with no lost balls, very rarely put myself in real trouble, its just the occasional duff shot or thin through the green that is causing high scores.
Shot 50 (par 33) and pretty happy with the new putter

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Headed out tonight once the torrential rain stopped, pretty much had the course to myself. Was just out to get used to my new putter. Played pretty well with one blow up hole again, this time a 7 on par 3 4th hole.
Dont think im hitting the ball great but im getting around the course and 3rd round in a row with no lost balls, very rarely put myself in real trouble, its just the occasional duff shot or thin through the green that is causing high scores.
Shot 50 (par 33) and pretty happy with the new putter

What putter did you get?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Damn it was windy today. A bit more sheltered on the valley front 9 but was gusting on the back 9. Excellent 39 for for 21 points front 9 but the wind beat me up on the back with 44 for 15 points. On the par 5 2nd in 2 and another nice birdie, double bogeyed 10 and 18. Shot of the day was a tricky little chip on the 8th downhill Loads of break that just rolled and rolled only just missing, although the second shot into the 2nd was decent too. Hindhead is heavenly!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Shot 85 in the first comp of the year this morning. Struggled at the start and end of the round today. Missed a few short ones and short game was a bit hit and miss.

But I just couldn't get my yardage today, have been doing some work on the swing last few weeks and have seen an increase in distance. Had 136 into the 14th and hit 9 that pitched two feet past the pin, so on the 15th I had 129 into green which was above me. So gripped down on a 9 to take a bit off, and air mailed the pin by a good 20 yards. 16th had 132 into pin, so thought right I'll hit a nice normal pitching wedge, no this sailed past the pin by a good ten yards.

Just some silly mistakes cost me today.
Not sure where you’re located but wind was playing havoc with yardages for me today

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out for a hit tonight - played 11 holes and that was plenty in the wind - had a storm pass right over us with pouring rain on the River Tay and on the hills but only a few spots of rain where we were - absolutely glorious sunshine as we finished but as I said blowing a gale, guess a club and hope for the best.

Going to have a couple of days off from golf for first time in several weeks, back out on Wednesday evening.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Played 36 yesterday with Merv79 and 2 other guys. 18 at Broadstone in the morning then 18 at Ferndown in the afternoon, very enjoyable day but it was pretty blustery.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wanted to go back immediately after playing it, which puts it in pretty exclusive company.

A brief rain storm interrupted us on the back 9 so it tainted things a little but that was my overall feeling too. I'd happily go back again right now if my feet weren't screaming stop.

I found it a better routed and more enjoyable course than Kingsbarns and also, I think, Trump Aberdeen. When Dumbarnie get the facilities in place (note when not if) I think it should deservedly take the title of Best East Coast Scotland "Modern Links" that I've made up to labour a point. I have some issues with it however. I think it's a little too engineered and manufactured. It's not a natural Links in any way, some holes are a little plain if you strip away the visual aspect and personally I'd prefer a few tighter fairways, which I concede could be provided by tee placement options that are in abundance. It's nitpicking on what is overall a very spectacular and playable Modern Links that will mature to brilliance.

I need to play it again...