I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Mate, I've been kicked in the balls so many times by this game but I still love it.
I can go quite a few rounds /range sessions where I can't hit anything, then the next day I play cracking.

Good luck with what ever you decide mate.

Is this really what it’s like? Forever? Do even scratch players (not expecting I’d ever get to scratch!) have days where they literally swing and only just clip every ball for it to roll six feet, with no solid shots for a full session?

I know it’s hard, but is it really that hard?

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this really what it’s like? Forever? Do even scratch players (not expecting I’d ever get to scratch!) have days where they literally swing and only just clip every ball for it to roll six feet, with no solid shots for a full session?

I can't say about scratch players as I'm a million miles away from that. But even the greatest sportstars have off days. Look at all the pros who have tried to change things and it's gone wrong..
To me golf is a fun hobby.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Last week I had a few good sessions. Before then I was on the brink of giving up as well.

If it was a case of it not going well, but still able to hit the ball, I wouldn’t mind. But when 35 out of 40 trickle forwards onto the gravel, and the other five make it only 10-20 yards, it’s not like it’s just a bad session, it’s just gone completely. Much, much worse than the first day I ever went to the range having never hit a ball before.

Even slowing the swing right down, or reducing to a half swing, or even reducing the back-swing to just 18 inches... I can’t hit the ball!

And understand, I’m not just hammering through a basket of balls like you see many people at the range.

I go through a pre-shot routine on every range ball that involves checking target line, alignment, visualisation etc.

I takes me about 1.5 hours to get through 80 balls, or 2 and a half to three to get through 120, with a break. It is a meditative practice to an extent...except that I am attached to the results, as I am in all sports. Sport isn‘t like yoga or Tai Chi. Sport is for competition and improvement, and for me, golf is a sport, not a pastime or spiritual pursuit.

With respect, there is a world of difference between hitting ball after ball and having no real jeopardy on how well it goes as there is another ball to hit and hitting a shot on the course where there is not really a second chance. It is how you learn to play golf as opposed to learning to hit range balls. Different lies, bunkers, putting and the elements all have to be mastered.

I played shocking in terms of ball striking in the competition on Saturday and it was off the yellow (so forward tees). I had no timing and no idea when I swung where the ball was going. I hit some really crap shots on the front nine for a miserly 12 points. I managed to get 17 coming back but was still 4th from last in my division and no idea how I managed to get that many points on the back nine. Played yesterday and it wasn't right in terms of strike and distance but more playable and I got round in an acceptable 33 points. Point is every day is different and we can turn up on two separate days and be two different players. Stick with it. Ask the pro for more help and get out and play

Zig

Visit site
I live 'Oop North' too... happy to have a knock/range session when the weather warms up a bit if that helps you not give up!!!

It's a silly game, which can make everyone look silly from time to time, whatever their handicap! ... but when it's good, it takes some beating ;)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play off 9 and I’ve went to the range and hit shanks repeatedly. I’ve also gone on numerous occasions and hit the ball consistently from the toe. I’ve also topped them over and over again.

It is a very tough game, even when you think you’ve cracked it, another part of your swing goes or you never get that feeling again.

Keep at it, take some time off and go back with a clear head

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
@RangeMonkey - probably your current woes warrant a thread to itself, but anyway some more thoughts. You mentioned tennis, what would you think about when returning a serve? One of the many challenges with golf is what goes on between our ears. Especially with the ball being stationary so our actions are not reactive. "Grooving" a swing movement is a way to quieten the mental noise, but a seemingly tiny change to the movements can result in terrible shot outcomes.
Short swings with feet together can be a trick to re find some striking.
Alternatively you don't need to search far to find clips of top class pros hitting some dreadful shots which can bring a smile ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not quite but they will do some pretty horrific stuff ..
You need to find a reset, just put your feet together and have a few gentle swings and then put a ball down and swing through it. I assure you it will go further than 30 yards and you will get connection.
Golf punishes over expectation. Relax do all your pre shot routine, then line your club up and hit it ... standing long over a ball creates distraction negative thoughts .. just swing the club and let your body follow. If your not happy something feels uncomfortable step away and reset.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you look at scores from the professional events you'll see, on occasions, high quality players shooting 62 one day and 78 the next
These are the best players in the world and they can have bad days that, in comparison to us, are potentially devastating.
If a tournament pro''s score can vary by 10- 15 shots between rounds, ours can vary by so much more.
As an example I once shot +2 gross on a Saturday, turned up the next day and shot +25.
Golf is hard ..

D

Deleted member 21258

Vale da Pinta with HID and another couple today and it was in fantastic nick .Took a while to get the pace of the greens but very pleased with 38 points , 4 birdies including the last ? for those who know it .
Sorry but weather is gorgeous ??

Good scoring :cool:, but nurse nurse he has escaped again, lock his account for a couple of weeks.. Looking forward to hear you are back in rainshire:p

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played at Enville today in a TeeTours event on the Lodge course. Course was wet in places and rain during the first 9 holes meant there was water on some greens but the course played pretty well despite this.

4BBB Stableford, I was playing:
Mizuno White Fang 1, 3, 5 & 7 woods, late 1980s
Dunlop Peter Thomson 3 to SW, approx 1973
Edinburgh Golf "Rapier" putter, 1970ish

We both blobbed the first hole but then hit some good form and scored two points or better on every hole to come in with 44 points for 3rd place. (And I had a 2 winning a bottle of wine)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Played at Enville today in a TeeTours event on the Lodge course. Course was wet in places and rain during the first 9 holes meant there was water on some greens but the course played pretty well despite this.

4BBB Stableford, I was playing:
Mizuno White Fang 1, 3, 5 & 7 woods, late 1980s
Dunlop Peter Thomson 3 to SW, approx 1973
Edinburgh Golf "Rapier" putter, 1970ish

We both blobbed the first hole but then hit some good form and scored two points or better on every hole to come in with 44 points for 3rd place. (And I had a 2 winning a bottle of wine)

I've been playing in some Tee Tour events for a few years now, the early days with Ben (Upsidedown). I'm playing at Hollinwell & Beau Desert in March & April in a pairs BB & AM AM.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Vila Sol yesterday and to appease the forum we had rain to start in ? well for all of 5 mins .
Lovely old course but fairways really struggling , greens in very good nick , too good at times if above the hole ?.
27 points was the best I could muster as did HiD .

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Vila Sol yesterday and to appease the forum we had rain to start in ? well for all of 5 mins .
Lovely old course but fairways really struggling , greens in very good nick , too good at times if above the hole ?.
27 points was the best I could muster as did HiD .

I was there Monday. Was saving the best course on our trip til last. Except it was the worst of the Pestana resorts this trip imo.

Played Silves for 1st time and was really. Impressed.

Managed 152 points over 5 rounds on Gramacho, Pinta, Alto, Silves and Vila Sol. Which considering the state of me most evenings was imo quite impressive ??

D

Deleted member 21258

Work really quiet, so decided to have half a day off and be first out on the course at Beau, light up ebay golf ball to the ready for the first couple of holes.

Played solid, shoot 10 over, was let down by the four par 3s which I was 5 over on, Putted well, hitting the lines and pace that I wanted, but didn't sink a putt all round, greens are tricky little blighters.

Fairly still, Great fun with no rain, millionaires golf, happy days, whats not to like. Won the matchplay 7:4:1 against son/wife. I still had to buy lunch tho:D

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alto today for the first time and an absolute delight . Let 3 balls through early doors then it was millionaires golf . Greens and fairways in excellent condition.
Had 33 points , droped two in first two holes with poor putts as a stiff back but then it eased and played to handicap apart from going for the short 13th and blobbing .
Played with HID today and we came 2nd ?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Alto today for the first time and an absolute delight . Let 3 balls through early doors then it was millionaires golf . Greens and fairways in excellent condition.
Had 33 points , droped two in first two holes with poor putts as a stiff back but then it eased and played to handicap apart from going for the short 13th and blobbing .
Played with HID today and we came 2nd ?
Alto always beats me up!

Love how it’s different to the other courses. It just doesn’t suit me. Think top points from our 8 was 30. So we’ll played.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Mate off 16 played really well with 38 .
Where did you stay , assuming you're back home.now ?
We stayed at gramacho Residences.
Played amendoeira Faldo course Thursday on arrival.
Gramacho, Da Pinta Friday
Alto Saturday.
Silves, Gramacho Sunday.
All 27 at Vila Sol Sunday.

Already planning next year.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We stayed at gramacho Residences.
Played amendoeira Faldo course Thursday on arrival.
Gramacho, Da Pinta Friday
Alto Saturday.
Silves, Gramacho Sunday.
All 27 at Vila Sol Sunday.

Already planning next year.
Wow that's some golf you got in , well done .
Played the Faldo last year and loved it .
Staying at the Pestana Alvor Praia this time as friends first time .
Day off tomorrow then Silves, Gramacho and Vila Sol on Sunday before we fly back ?
And yup will be back next year ??