I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 25172

It finally clicked. Playing medal this morning and shot gross 76, net 63, which is the best round I’ve ever played. Medal comp at our place is played sat-sun so don’t know where I’ll end up, but would be disappointing if I wasn’t up there fighting for the win.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It finally clicked. Playing medal this morning and shot gross 76, net 63, which is the best round I’ve ever played. Medal comp at our place is played sat-sun so don’t know where I’ll end up, but would be disappointing if I wasn’t up there fighting for the win.
Nice little cut before Sunningdale................

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saturday roll up for me. 28 points but felt I hit it much better than that and two bad tee shots killed my round. I'm working on a change which is definitely working but needs to bed in more so I can really trust it but making moves forward. Also managed a chip in again today so short game in decent nick

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Arghh... this getting frustrating!. Another good round spoiled by one poor hole (Off line drive , chip to good position, three duffs, chip & a putt for 7). Ended up with a nett 72, two shots over handicap. The 6th round in buffer on the trot. The cut will come soon!!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A rare foray into the unfamiliar waters of good golf. A couple of dodgy shots offset by five birdies for a net 68 (-2). I’m paying for it today with a heap of joint pain as the pain killers have worn off but don’t care, proved the new swing holds up well under pressure.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
3 days of hickory, started with the Nairn Vs the BGCS against two Swedes, my PP and i played pretty well but holed nothing. We didn't miss a faiway either but the quality of the S ball striking was something to behold, even on a course of 6400 with hickory clubs they knocked it past our sunday best drives with Cleeks and could pretty much get on in regulation with two irons. downside breaking my Niblick the only club i have practiced with and had any control with around the greens.

next was Moray new for the Scottish Hickory Champs, played OK , but started with a 7 which pretty much summed up the day, lashing rain and struggled with shots from inside 100 yards, couldn't get a chip right either short or long. again a lesson in Ball striking with these clubs from another Swede. recovered to shoot an 80 gross, but the winner was the guy who won the British at Rye last year witha 74 gross, very impressive display.

Saturday at Hopeman was better weather, started well 1 under through 8 then the wheels came off, up until then had hit every fairway and green in regulation, but then put a few through the back and took 3 to get up and down, missed a couple of greens and went in a couple of bunkers. just could not get up and down and just haemorrhaged shots. i couldn't putt from the fringe because of the lash grass (my chosen method) tried every club in the bag to get a chip right which i couldn't. very very frustrating to not miss a fairway and then not be able to make the most from it.

Speaking to many of the guys in particular my Swedish playing partners through the week, they don't play modern clubs at all and all their golf is with Hickory clubs. playing hickory is great for your steels game but vise versa isn't from your Hickory :( i just don't play with them enough or have managed to find a way to chip and score from 100 yards and in.

my 3 mates and i had a discussion in the car coming back after the games, we either give up playing modern golf and concentrate on Hickory, or practice a lot more and not play modern clubs the month before any hickory comps or just play as we have been for the pure enjoyment with the matches we have between ourselves and play once in a while and not worry about any of the comps in future.

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Captains Day on Saturday. Whites so far back they were almost OOB !!!! Jesus. Managed to scramble 32 points. Struggled with a violent slice all day. Ladies were playing too. Guess what? They all but cleaned up. Taking 4th/3rd and 2nd places. 8 of them playing. 100 men. Luckilly one stick thin whippersnapper smashed it round with 44 points....there's always the one eh?, to save the mens blushes.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sunday. I'd arranged a knock with the wife. She, for some reason decided to use the hybrid that had been snoozing in her bag for 12 months. She smashed it round. And with a little instruction from me over chipping. Well she was going so well, she just need a little instruction, which, as usual she followed exactly as instructed to great effect. And lining up for driving off, which was going well too. She came in with 112. Huh? no good? Maybe, but 10 shots better then her previous best. She's finally playing proper golf. Not a 9 or 10 to be seen !!!!!!!!!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played a local 9 hole with the new bats. they certainly go a long way!
Had a chip in for par on the 3rd followed by a holed pitch from 30 or so yards on the 5th
Longest club I hit was 4 iron
Got 17 points

Jay-Marie

Medal Winner
Visit site
What a great few days of golf.

Wednesday - lost knock-out match on 19th (ok so not a great start)
Thursday - A team league match won 7&5
Friday - knock-out match won 4&3 which included a hole in one
Saturday - Medal didn't play great 5 over net
Sunday - Mixed Shield my partner and I came in with identical scores of 38 points to win the trophy with a few shots to spare.

Time to rest now as that's a lot of golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
June Medal, opened with a triple bogey, ho-hum, 5 over handicap after 9.
Was puling it back towards a buffer on the inward 9 including a nice 2 but then a lost ball on the 16th near the green and couldn't be bothered to go back to play another so NR'd.
Then when I got into the clubhouse some spoilsport had had a hole in one to take the twos kitty, there'd only been 5 twos as well including the ace so I'd have been looking at around £25.

D

Deleted member 17920

Had a great week.

Tuesday played Royal Birkdale with @Odvan and @Captainron , played quite well for the front 9 then Fell away on the back 9, also witnessed an ace on the 14th which was brilliant.

Then Wednesday played Royal Liverpool again with the 2 clowns. Played ok ish, they are still really suffering from last summer.

Captainron had a blinder.

Then on the way back played at Forest pines, I quite enjoyed it and considering the amount of traffic it gets I thought it was in really good condition.

Playing Stanton on the worlds tomorrow looking forward to it.
Well Played Stanton on the worlds yesterday with @Region3 and AndyK.

Greens fast and true, over 13 on the stimp, very impressive.

On to the comp, didn’t get off to the best start and we recovered well, finished 1 shot away from a net prize and 2 shots from a gross prize.

Quality little club outside of Nottingham, very underated and well worth a visit.

Took 12 Woodhall members who all want to go back and play in it next year as well.

Ended up staying and watching football in the clubhouse and got home at 1.30 this morning.

Top day out and we will be doing it next year.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played at our place in a junior cup qualifier.

Wind blowing a gale and the GUI put us off the back of the back sticks.

Got off to an absolute stinker. Going

Par par bogey quad bogey bogey then fought my way in to finish +12.

Css went as high as I've ever seen it due to the conditions and the amount of cricket scores put in. Par of 71 and css 75.

Managed to make buffer which I'm pleased about as my head was swimming after that start.

Oh and we missed qualifying by 1 shot. Ouch.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at our place in a junior cup qualifier.

Wind blowing a gale and the GUI put us off the back of the back sticks.

Got off to an absolute stinker. Going

Par par bogey quad bogey bogey then fought my way in to finish +12.

Css went as high as I've ever seen it due to the conditions and the amount of cricket scores put in. Par of 71 and css 75.

Managed to make buffer which I'm pleased about as my head was swimming after that start.

Oh and we missed qualifying by 1 shot. Ouch.
It would have gone reductions only if CSS went out more than 3.

Results in from Saturday, new Handicap 2.7.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played this afternoon, could have entered the monthly medal but decided not to bother as I was hungover, just played a practise round with my mate. Promptly went and shot 83 for 42 points. Didn't feel too bad about not entering the comp though as we played most holes from the yellow tees. I hit the ball so well though, no shanks, chipped superbly and putted well. My best round of this year, so chuffed. Good timing with the club champs next week, hopefully I can carry it on.