I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played with the hickories in preparation for a couple of games coming up over the weekend.

Not too bad although the whipping came undone on my driving club so I had to use a 2 iron off the tee for most of the round.
(Just re-whipped it and put a bit of varnish on and it's drying in the garage now)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Putting was absolutely terrible today. Had no feel at all, missed a load of short ones, then from nowhere, roll one in from 15 yards past the pin for a birdie 3 on the last. Funny old game ....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
First game after getting back from a 3 week holiday was round 2 of the Club Challenge - the annual summer matchplay knock-out. I knew the oppo reasonably well although not played with him much. He had to give me 4 shots. Say it myself but I played pretty well (for me) and he didn't have good day so I ended up winning 6&5. The killer blow was a remarkable par on the 7th. (Drive behind trees way right, chip sideways went too far left, stunning 9iron from under trees to back fringe, 25ft putt into hole). That drew his only expletive of the morning when he got an inkling that looked like it wasn't going to be his day.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First game after getting back from a 3 week holiday was round 2 of the Club Challenge - the annual summer matchplay knock-out. I knew the oppo reasonably well although not played with him much. He had to give me 4 shots. Say it myself but I played pretty well (for me) and he didn't have good day so I ended up winning 6&5. The killer blow was a remarkable par on the 7th. (Drive behind trees way right, chip sideways went too far left, stunning 9iron from under trees to back fringe, 25ft putt into hole). That drew his only expletive of the morning when he got an inkling that looked like it wasn't going to be his day.
I love those “dirty” pars, unless of course my opponent does it against me in a match play competition. ?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Went round the local 9 hole par 3 (with 1 par 4) earlier. Been working on my irons recently so thought it was worth a pop.

Round in 7 over with 4 pars. Went through the back of the only par 4 too, which was a big surprise... Driver has been awful lately! Hopefully be out again on Monday and I'm absolutely sure everything will go wrong!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played at dartford. Hit the ball well off the tee but my short game was infraction worthy!

Had 4 holes where I was within 60 yards of the green in regulation and blobbed the hole

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at dartford. Hit the ball well off the tee but my short game was infraction worthy!

Had 4 holes where I was within 60 yards of the green in regulation and blobbed the hole

Welcome to my world of pain!
I'm having a sneaky ½hr lesson tomorrow before I jet of to Spain next Friday. ;)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Hickory foursomes Stableford from yellow tees at Hoylake yesterday, a bit of a breeze made it tricky and we were fairly happy with 28 points after 16 but then bunkers on 17 and 18 scuppered us and we finished on 28 points.
Hickory niblicks are almost useless in a deep bunker.
Winners had 33 points.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Another shocker in the comp today. Hit the ball ok , but due to the strong wind and firm greens kocked a fair few through the back, mostly due to using a softer ball. Had a 9 on the 10th as was plugged in the face of the fairway bunker and took 3 too get out then in the greenside and fid the same. Was very unlucky on a few bounces too, but if I hadn't had bad luck I'd have had no luck. Played the last 4 holes well though, stuck it stone dead on 15 but lipped out, birdies 16 and 17 then Eagled 18. For a 80 gross?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Betterball match today. Was hoping my great form would continue, looked like it might when I hit a cracking 7 wood straight onto the green on the first, winning the hole with a par. Unfortunately we then lost the next two holes and we were never in front again for the rest of the match. Worst was the 7th where me and my partner both missed two or three foot bogey putts that would have got a half. The greens were randomly awful for some reason, kind of spikey and slow, couldn't get the ball to roll nicely and we didn't hole a putt all day. Went two down on the 10th to a birdie, won the 11th, then lost the 12th to the same player who hooked an awful drive, then sliced his fairway wood, but somehow pitched it on and sank a 12 footer for par. We kept it 2 down for a few holes, until the 16th where both of us were getting a shot on both of them, so we took advantage to win that win one. Unfortunately the 17th and 18th were both holed in pars so we lost by 1 in the end.

I really didn't play my best, shot around 85, big let down after 78 & 76 in my last two rounds. Just couldn't hole a single thing on the greens, it was infuriating. Actually only made two doubles, but only four pars which is a pretty weak contribution. My mate played better than he has done recently, but also didn't manage to hole any putts. One of our opponents absolutely carried his partner by getting a birdie and eight pars (and he was the higher capper of the two). Good that we took it down the last I guess, but also makes it all the more frustrating that we were only a decent putt or two away from a different result. Just wouldn't happen for us. Oh well.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every now and then you are reminded that golf is not just about what you score, your handicap or the shaft in your driver.

I have recently joined a new club and today I played in a Gents Medal with a fellow competitor who has been a member of the club for 72 years. He didn't quite manage to shoot his age but he maintains a playing handicap of 15 and did break 90 on the day.

Was an absolute pleasure to spend 18 holes in his company.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried out a relatives TM M2 driver today, they have upgraded. It's going back tomorrow ?. Didn't really get on with it until towards the end but by that time the damage was done.

Some bad swings today, worst round for a while. Lovely company though, two old guys who I had not met before. Every cloud...........

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Went into today’s round with high expectations after Wednesday’s 9 holes. The weather was perfect, I’d found something in my swing, what could go wrong?

Starting with 3 bogies obvs. However, I wasn’t disheartened. I’d struck the ball well, but was just a fraction out and got of the bogey train with a birdie up the long par 4 4th. Another bogey followed, which was followed with another birdie. On the 7th I finally made a par ?. The 8th was parred having lipped out and a 3 putt bogey finished the front 9 in 39 blows.

The back 9 followed in a similar way, with a sloppy double on 12 the low point. A good birdie followed on 13 to lighten the mood. On the 14th I subconsciously decided that the heel of my driver would be a good spot to use for the remaining holes robbing me of significant distance. A couple of bogies and a couple of pars followed before finally signing off with a birdie on 18 for a round of 77.

It was my first sub 80 round of the season and best round by 5 shots. It could easily have been 3 or 4 shots lower. I also have struck the ball better this year and not scored as well. BUT, I managed my way round better than I have been and other than one silly hole, kept doubles off the card.

Springveldt

Visit site
I tried out a relatives TM M2 driver today, they have upgraded. It's going back tomorrow ?. Didn't really get on with it until towards the end but by that time the damage was done.

Some bad swings today, worst round for a while. Lovely company though, two old guys who I had not met before. Every cloud...........
I noticed on the tee sheet you were playing with Bob and Nigel, was Bob’s short game as deadly as every time I’ve played with him? I gave you a wave as I was leaving, I was the guy with the blindingly green tee shirt. ?

Shot 78 for a net 71 which I was happy with as it was probably the best score I could have posted on the day. Didn’t hit it great but my putter was on fire, don’t think I missed a single putt under 10 foot all day. I honestly may have had my best putting day ever which hid how poorly I hit the ball. Missed all 5 par 3 greens and bogied 2 of the 3 par 5’s.

Had a 78 going off my scores so at least I’m maintaining my handicap.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I noticed on the tee sheet you were playing with Bob and Nigel, was Bob’s short game as deadly as every time I’ve played with him? I gave you a wave as I was leaving, I was the guy with the blindingly green tee shirt. ?

Shot 78 for a net 71 which I was happy with as it was probably the best score I could have posted on the day. Didn’t hit it great but my putter was on fire, don’t think I missed a single putt under 10 foot all day. I honestly may have had my best putting day ever which hid how poorly I hit the ball. Missed all 5 par 3 greens and bogied 2 of the 3 par 5’s.

Had a 78 going off my scores so at least I’m maintaining my handicap.
Miles away I'm afraid, how could I miss a blindingly green shirt ?‍♂️?

Bob and Nigel were two lovely blokes. Bob's short game was off yesterday. He fluffed numerous short chips until the 17th when he finally left one dead. It was a bit of a running theme until that hole. Presumably how he hit the chip on the 17th is the norm for him then?

How much for your putting game? ?. That's good going on those greens. Some of them were really slick, the downhill putts getting very interesting.

I found it hard going with the wind at times yesterday. Mix that with an unknown and unreliable driver, thanks but no thanks Mr M2, and it was not a round to stick in the memory. Pleasant company, pleasant walk, not so pleasant golf. Bring on the stableford next week.