I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Took the skins 5-3-1 in our 9 hole daily knocks shooting only 5 over gross and that was with a double on our 4th, missed a silly short putt also with the old 'I'll just tap this in' mistake we all make now & then.

Very pleased with my game over the last month, much more aggressive play allowing me to hit more GIR, looking forward to Bearwood & Scotland trips.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My birthday yesterday, played at Mill Hill with my dad, and two mates that we'll call 'Ben' and 'Rob' - because that's their names. I set it up as a Stableford match play betterball type of thing, me and my dad (off 36 unofficially) vs Ben(12) and Rob(30). We went 1 up on the first as I was the only player who didn't make a hash of it, and we were up for the whole match then, not much of a contest to be honest. We were 4 up after the 8th when my dad knocked in a 15 foot for par! Opponents won the 9th and 10th to threaten a comeback, but we won the next four to take it 6 & 4. Including my dad holing an even longer putt on the 12th, must have been at least 25 feet and downhill!

As for my round personally, I started off playing really well, I had 18 points after 8 holes. Sadly I still had 18 points after 11 holes. 9th was unlucky, it's a par 5 and I smashed a beautiful five wood down there for my second, but I had absolutely no idea there was a watery ditch which I went into. 10th was just a mess - it's a tough hole with a lake and a bunker to carry for your second, I was only hitting 23° hybrid, but instead of swinging easy I tried to hit it too hard and topped it down to the water's edge, in very long grass, then completed the trick by duffing it in there with a wedge. Nearly holed a chip to rescue the 6 but it lipped out. 11th was a par 3 where I don't get a shot, sadly my tee shot went right into a bunker and I only made a 5 for 0.

Recovered after that and went bogey, par, birdie, par - the birdie being on the 14th which sealed the betterball match. Then it was wheels off again, 200 yard par 3 16th, hitting five wood once again I tried to hit it too hard and duffed into the nearby ditch. Teed up again and hit a nice easy one, made a four with the second ball - why couldn't I just do that the first time? Blobbed the 17th too, after a perfect tee shot the same issue happened for a third time - water to carry over and instead of hitting a nice smooth swing like my practise swing, stupid thought enters my head that I need to give it a whack - again duffed short of the lake, managed to knife it over with an iron just about, but ended up with a 7.

Bogeyed the last for a 90 gross, 32 points. Disappointing as I used to think water didn't get in my head that much, but annoyingly it caused me to try and whack the ball too hard this time, with shocking results. Nobody bettered that points total though, Ben had 28 points (same gross as me), my dad managed 26 points as he got tired and picked up a lot towards the end, and Rob only managed 24 as he had a shocking front nine. So managed the best points and got a birdie on my birthday, can't complain too much.

Was my first time playing Mill Hill, very interesting layout. Weirdly the clubhouse is on one side of the A1, then you have to leave the car park, walk under a subway to cross the road for the actual course. Couple of the early tees had mats out for the yellows which seemed a bit unnecessary at this time of year, but to be honest we just played off the white or the red on those ones, or like a yard behind the mat off the grass, because we didn't fancy playing off mats in September really. The greens had had the chemical treatment sadly, so they stank of sea-sand which they'd put down, and our golf balls and putters got all manky - they still ran pretty quick though so didn't affect the golf too badly. Overall I would go back, if only to conquer the water holes that I buggered this time.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This really is a stupid game...
Played exceedingly average golf for 12 holes...16 points and going nowhere..to suddenly playing the last 6 holes in 1 under par and finishing on a respectable 34.....
Don't ask me..I ain't got a clue...:LOL:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played today with one of my favourite iron sets, the J B Halley Tournament for which I recently picked up a matching putter.

Started with a four putt and couldn't get the feel with the putter until near the end!
Filled out the irons with a 1930s Spalding Henry Cotton 2 iron (coated shaft, dot face) and hit my shot of the day with it, arrow straight about 210 yards, then hit SW to 4 feet and holed for birdie.
Also had a nice MacGregor 1 wood in the bag but only hit one decent drive!
31 points.

118963985_793261264821359_7339789621077543034_n.jpg
1599746583762.png

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out for 18 with the missus after work tonight - nice birdie at the third before getting held up by a trio including a couple of cat one guys - painfully slow for a couple of holes and had we had to stay behind them I'd have had to say something - decided instead to skip from fifth green to 14th tee and play the holes we missed at the end - no hold ups after that but looking across the course later it was obvious that they hadn't sped up at all - slowest play I've seen in years and not because of being over careful, they were just faffing about, walking slowly and standing on tees chatting etc.

Very windy tonight, it's been blowy all week but tonight wasn't gusts it was constant 30 odd mph and much colder than it's been in a good while.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a nice day out at portsallon yesterday. We got lucky with the weather as the sun poked his head out for the first time in weeks.

Heres a video of my tee shot on the great driving hole 14th. The big rock in the distance is a good line. Ball feeds down a big hill if you get it right.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Suddenly found my game today!
Just 1 over after five with 15 s/ford points!

Then i suddenly lost my game and finished with just 28 points.
One green in regulation all day, thankfully my putter was behaving.

Off to East Sussex National on Tuesday for three days of golf .......................... I'm just not sure what type!

D

Deleted member 21258

Had a nice day out at portsallon yesterday. We got lucky with the weather as the sun poked his head out for the first time in weeks.

Heres a video of my tee shot on the great driving hole 14th. The big rock in the distance is a good line. Ball feeds down a big hill if you get it right.

We need a shot tracer, bet it was a big hook:p;)

Your swing looks like it has got flatter than previous ( camera angle), thought you were working on getting the club more on the outside/up on lessons (maybe a couple of years ago or so:LOL:), did you give up on that and revert back?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We need a shot tracer, bet it was a big hook:p;)

Your swing looks like it has got flatter than previous ( camera angle), thought you were working on getting the club more on the outside/up on lessons (maybe a couple of years ago or so:LOL:), did you give up on that and revert back?

Gave up on it. Lol. Just weakened the right hand grip a bit and was able to fade it again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Roll up this moring only 4 turned up as it was blowing a gale, as rain was sideways and hammering down, we decided to head out, got to the tee, rain stopped and sun came out.

very tough day on the links again, 4 club wind at least, but played well again, 3 birdies on the front 9, 3 on the back. had two eagle puts from 10 feet one on 10 and 18, missed both, drive and a mid iron on it was so windy.

Took my old 2 iron out and used that a few times, not sure i would bring it out in a comp this weekend but was def good for 3, 8,9 15 and 17 off the tee.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Roll up this moring only 4 turned up as it was blowing a gale, as rain was sideways and hammering down, we decided to head out, got to the tee, rain stopped and sun came out.

very tough day on the links again, 4 club wind at least, but played well again, 3 birdies on the front 9, 3 on the back. had two eagle puts from 10 feet one on 10 and 18, missed both, drive and a mid iron on it was so windy.

Took my old 2 iron out and used that a few times, not sure i would bring it out in a comp this weekend but was def good for 3, 8,9 15 and 17 off the tee.
That just seems insane to me. Four clubs? Was it a hurricane? So if you'd normally hit PW, into the wind you were hitting 6 iron?? I can't get my head around that. :LOL:o_O

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That just seems insane to me. Four clubs? Was it a hurricane? So if you'd normally hit PW, into the wind you were hitting 6 iron?? I can't get my head around that. :LOL:o_O

Patrick’s spot on about the wind, our second par 3 for example is a 7 iron for me but have take a 5 wood sometimes, Links golf can be a pain in the arse sometimes, give me a nice Parkland any day?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
He's spot on - proper golf, imagination and play the shot (6 iron bump and run from 100 yards etc.) that works instead of 'I know my yardages' target fly it through the air stuff.

D

Deleted member 3432

Yes thats links golf for, proper golf....

There is no normally I would hit a PW here, it is how much do I have to add or take away for the wind. Have to factor in the wind chipping and putting especially in a crosswind

Great test of imagination and you learn to hit the ball low.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

There is no normally I would hit a PW here, it is how much do I have to add or take away for the wind. Have to factor in the wind chipping and putting especially in a crosswind

My ball tends to go low anyway. :cautious:

YandaB

Visit site

I've had very little links experience but when we were up in Scotland a few weeks back there were winds of 30mph and I was gobsmacked that a flat, straight 4ft put required 2ft break. I had to imagine that the green was on a massive slope, I was really proud of that putt :) At the end it had turned 90 degress and was accelerating and goodness only knows where it might have ended up if it hadn't gone in the hole!