I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 17920

Great 3 days of golf on the East Lothian coastline.

1st up Gullane number 1.

What a very strong course, really didn't know what to expect as it had mixed reviews but after a weak 1st hole it really gets going, thought it was a tough test with the wind we had, greens for the time of year were superb, great variety of holes, didn't really get the 17th hole, even I had a drive of over 300 yards on that hole :ROFLMAO:

Very nice club and would easily go back but would like to play No 2 next time as the members said thats as good as 1.

2nd up was Dunbar.

Well talk about hidden gems that are not in the top 100, 1st hole a par 5 that really you should par and not chunk the 3rd into the ditch :mad:then a gentle 2nd par 5 should set you off for a decent round, thought the course really got going from the 4th hole, really nice and enjoyable course and again the course for March was superb considering how much traffic it clearly gets, like the variety of holes and could easily see myself back there on a summers evening playing, very impressed.

Defo would return.

3rd and final day, the big one Muirfield.

Now for Gullane 1 and Dunbar it was very windy but Muirfield was another level of wind.

Turned up expecting it to be a tad stuffy, how wrong, the meeter and greeter/ starter was superb and very helpful, went into the clubhouse and to the locker rooms and again all staff nice and polite.

Went to the practice area to wack a few balls and all very good quality balls on the range and to chip with on the putting green.

1st hole into a 55 club wind, several million shots later I walked off without scoring and that set the tone for my entire front 9, now I knew it would be tough but by hell I got absolutely beasted by the bunkers, every time I hit one I was right against the face with no shots, I admit I did let out a few naughty words and @Jimaroid looked at me like he was worried for my sanity at one point :eek:

Thought again for the time of year the course was in excellent condition. Back 9 I did redeem myself but what a day.

Didnt really get the chance to appreciate the course like I wanted to as the wind pounded me and I didnt hit it great at all but after been told it was flat and featureless by several people I can tell you all that you are all wrong. Its not flat or featureless and you know nothing about course :censored:

So to sum up what a 3 days, wind was brutal but considering how wet its been the courses have stood up incredibly well, all in superb condition and the members at all 3 are lucky they have it so good.

Would I go back, hell yes but one thing, to miss the most enjoyable course in the world North Berwick is just criminal. Its a good job I am coming back this summer :)

Oh and finally, well done @Liverbirdie for organising, about time as you have had a few years off!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Didnt really get the chance to appreciate the course like I wanted to as the wind pounded me and I didnt hit it great at all but after been told it was flat and featureless by several people I can tell you all that you are all wrong. Its not flat or featureless and you know nothing about course :censored:

Yep Muirfield is a top quality track.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
1st hole into a 55 club wind, several million shots later I walked off without scoring and that set the tone for my entire front 9, now I knew it would be tough but by hell I got absolutely beasted by the bunkers, every time I hit one I was right against the face with no shots, I admit I did let out a few naughty words and @Jimaroid looked at me like he was worried for my sanity at one point :eek:

JEEZ! A wind like that would make any course a bit tough. ;)

D

Deleted member 17920

I played in a similar (although I believe we were only a 49 club wind) at West Kilbride and watched in horror (also peeing myself with laughter) as my playing partner began chasing after his golf bag which was tumbling down the fairway!!!
Bag went over at one point and I thought my driver shaft was a gonner. Thankfully it survived.

Visit site
Mullered a 3i (on average goes 225) from 170 on our last to 9ft and a birdie for a 3 under. Howling a hoolie all the way round and shoot that!!! Head scratcher.

carldudley

Visit site
Should've been in New York this weekend but event was canned so decided not to go.

Couldn't waste a day off work when the sun was supposed to be out, so I hit the course. Lovely day to start, but a little breezy, then came the rain and hail before clearing up again.

Played a blinder, 3 shots off my best but the driver was on fire (first time I've said that). Made 9/13 fairways, and only one was a big slice on the long par 4, 13th. The 2iron also played well. Especially when I'd just been allowed to play through - couple of spectators, took out the 2i which I usually fat.....and it goes 200yds down the middle (thank god for that). Good round, I definitely play better alone.

That was my third card so Handicap coming soon.