I Despair

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The biggest problem with the kids IMHO is that although they may get taught well there is an overiding problem.

How, as a race/species, do we learn??

Answer :- We copy. Simple as that.

The kids see their dads, taxi drivers, Jonny from down the road who passed his test a year ago and looks sooooo coool in his beaten up 205 GTI, all doing stupid things in the name of getting there quicker. So they copy them, thinking that if they can do it, why can't I?

The Police did a test a year or 2 ago. They took 2 identical cars and 2 of their best drivers on a route over various roads for about 40 miles. The first car was not allowed to break a speed limit at all and the other was - as long as he was not endangering life(?). Anyway, they left at the same time.

How much quicker did the speeding car cover the 40 miles?

97 seconds is the answer. Ok its not a truly scientific test but it gives a picture. The second car was at times going 25 mph over the limit. All that risk and all that petrol for 97 seconds on an hours journey.

Trouble is, as Herb says, once they get their ticket they know it all.

Only way to combat this is to introduce some form of asessment or test. They have the perfect opertunity now. The new photocard licences are begining to run out and need to be replaced (every 10 years). Bring in this assessment so that you need to send confirmation of your ability to DVLA in order to continue to hold a licence.

I put this personally to the CEO of the DRiving Standards Agency 3 months ago. The answer was a definite no. "It would impact on too many lives" was the answer.

So if the DSA (or Double Standards Agency as we like to call them!) don't want to get involved then I ask myself why I'm bothering?

Quite depressing at times - good job I play Golf!!

You are so right about DSA, I have had similar ideas thrown to the floor dashing my spirit on the jagged rocks of despair on a number of occasions. I gave up! I know, defeatest I am, but doesnt a good idea deserve more than dismissal simply because it may upset someone?

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Imurg I understand & apreciate your point of view, however Herb has a point.

A driver has to get into trouble to understand the danger of something, & to loose it on a skid pan, is a quick & relitively safe way of getting something home to a driver, whether novice or experienced.

Its one thing being taught ralley driving techniques, these includes the safe way of getting around a bend in slippy & loose conditions, its another thing to actually ralley drive. Thing is many UK youngsters think they can do this ralleying on the road without any formal training, yet if they had had the informative training they would not attempt it, as they would be fully aware of the dangers...

Or that's certainly the theory... And in Finland obviously a proven one.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get road rage! So much so, that I'm training myself to just let the idiots get on with it. I'd like to make a philosophical comment, but words fail me. As much as I'd like to put speeders and illegal/dangerous parkers in front of a firing squad, I fear that my lack of tolerance is down to getting old and grumpy.

I get my own back in my own special ways. At my local supermarket, some bankers have invented their own parking spaces, basicaly parking on the edge of the disabled spaces on the brick-paved area. This makes turning down the "parking-lane" near impossible and stops disabled folk from having space to one side of their car. A bloke parked here the other day (in a 6 series) and I had to help a disabled lady get out of her space. Once she'd gone, I exacted my revenge!!!
Better not reveal my course of action.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've given road rage up as a sport.

Quite happy to budget a bit more time, sit at 60 mph in the slow lane , rest my head back and let the muppets sort themselves out.

Nearly all of the 'action' takes place in the outside lane and I can't be bothered with it all anymore.

To the OP - recipe for a quiet life:

tesco.com

billyg

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
most times I like to think I'm mellowing on the road. most mornings I'm happy to cruise at 50 - 60 in the inside lane, rarely lose any time doing so, and let's face it - I'm only going to work, what's the rush.

then you get the occasion with the total prats, (as happened today) you're overtaking a string of lorries and up from behind comes some brain dead moron, often in a white van, flat out and with no concept of slowing. I have no where to go but he wants me to drive at his pace so he's not inconvenienced. those are the occasions when I'm inclined to slow further and wish for an illuminating sign in my rear window 'I drive at your braking distance'.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
jon, what do you think is the point of those 'baby on board' signs?

they are never taken out when the kid is not on board and have been so abused and misused (much as disabled stickers are abused) that no one takes any notice of them.

to my mind the only value they ever had was as an indication to emergency services, but again any value they may have had is gone.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I drove for a living and got as frustrated and annoyed as anyone, with a small difference to some, I would never take action to worsen a situation. As I have aged, and the fact that I know what I 'should' be doing, I tend to give more benefit of the doubt than before. I romp on though, I never hang about on open roads but I try never to speed in built ups. If I come across a problem I treat it the way I would teach, then romp on afterwards. Im mellow ok! :mad:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've given road rage up as a sport.

Quite happy to budget a bit more time, sit at 60 mph in the slow lane , rest my head back and let the muppets sort themselves out.

Nearly all of the 'action' takes place in the outside lane and I can't be bothered with it all anymore.

To the OP - recipe for a quiet life:

tesco.com

billyg

Been tempted Bill, but when I see the numpty's picking the stuff in our shop I'm amazed anyone gets what they've ordered.