I cant use the 3 wood or driver

Only been playing golf for two weeks i think now. Had 4 lessons so far and another tomorrow and been to the range twice. On the lessons ive only practiced putting and the irons and im really happy with the way im hitting the irons now. Sw, pw and 9 iron i feel bang on with was chipping at the range today and getting very close to my target anywhere from 50 to 100 yards. Even my mate whos played since a child was impressed. Had a little challenge with my mate from 50 yards out and i got about 5/6 inches from the pin and won lol.
Hitting the 3 wood or driver im just terrible, just can’t seem to hit it any distance or even straight, mate was trying to give me pointers but it just wasn’t happening. Think I’ll mention it in my lesson tomorrow, maybe the pro can help me but is there any videos online or tips anyone can recommend? Feel as if thats the only thing holding me back from going out onto a course now.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest, I would forget woods & long irons completely for the moment. Concentrate on your mid & short irons (7 iron down) getting the feeling of your full swing, and really practice your putting & chipping. Don't feel you can't go on the course. You may take more shots to reach the green, but you are a beginner. You'll probably take fewer than if you were topping driver & 3 wood 10 yards a time. Are there any par 3 courses near you? They'd be excellent for getting you out on a course and actually playing golf, rather than golf swing at the range

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get yourself like a 4 hybrid

Use that off the tee

Struck well that can give you nice distance

Think I can push 170 out of mine (I'm not a long hitter) which is decent enough distance

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH if you have only just started these clubs would be the hardest to hit anyway, i know one scratch player that still can't hit a 3 wood to save his life.

give it time

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
If you give up trying with the driver and 3 wood then you will never learn to hit them.

Keep trying. If you can hit a good solid iron then the driver swing doesn't differ too much. The mechanics are virtually identical and main differences are setup.

D

Deleted member 3432

Only been playing golf for two weeks i think now. Had 4 lessons so far and another tomorrow and been to the range twice. On the lessons ive only practiced putting and the irons and im really happy with the way im hitting the irons now. Sw, pw and 9 iron i feel bang on with was chipping at the range today and getting very close to my target anywhere from 50 to 100 yards. Even my mate whos played since a child was impressed. Had a little challenge with my mate from 50 yards out and i got about 5/6 inches from the pin and won lol.
Hitting the 3 wood or driver im just terrible, just can’t seem to hit it any distance or even straight, mate was trying to give me pointers but it just wasn’t happening. Think I’ll mention it in my lesson tomorrow, maybe the pro can help me but is there any videos online or tips anyone can recommend? Feel as if thats the only thing holding me back from going out onto a course now.

A few things here.

Golf is difficult, you have been playing two weeks so I'm not suprised you can't hit good shots with driver and 3 wood, many of us still can't hit them consistantly after years of playing.

If you are having lessons have a discussion with your pro, sounds like he is giving you a grounding in the basics and will be building up to the longer clubs.

At this stage steer clear of online videos, this could be a total minefield without you having much knowledge and a recipe for disaster. Have trust in your pro.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
A few things here.

Golf is difficult, you have been playing two weeks so I'm not suprised you can't hit good shots with driver and 3 wood, many of us still can't hit them consistantly after years of playing.

If you are having lessons have a discussion with your pro, sounds like he is giving you a grounding in the basics and will be building up to the longer clubs.

At this stage steer clear of online videos, this could be a total minefield without you having much knowledge and a recipe for disaster. Have trust in your pro.
100% this - good advice

Reactions: Doh

The Fader

Visit site
If you give up trying with the driver and 3 wood then you will never learn to hit them.

Keep trying. If you can hit a good solid iron then the driver swing doesn't differ too much. The mechanics are virtually identical and main differences are setup.

Sorry, I don't agree with this. You're doing absolutely the right thing in having lessons and I would let the pro be the one to decide
which clubs to learn the basics with and move you up the bag as you improve.

Bashing away with the driver / 3 wood may be counter productive.

In my view there are fundamental differences in swinging the shorter and longer clubs than simply set up.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing 2 weeks? Have you mastered the 2-iron off a downhill lie yet?

Seriously, it takes time. Develop a decent swing with a mid iron and then transfer it to the 3 wood. Once you can hit that decently, try the driver. Make sure they are suitable for you. Some people play golf their whole lives and never really learn to hit the driver.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I stopped taking my woods out on the course for first 8 months of playing. Bought a 3 hybrid and started hitting that off the tee, saved me a load of shots. Only recently after a lot of work at the range have i started taking driver out.
Still have no idea how to hit a fairway wood.
Dont worry too much about it, if you can hit your 7 iron about 140/150 yards you will get round a course without too much problem.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A few things here.

I would also add that 4 lessons in two weeks is a bit much, you need time to practise what you are told in the lessons. At least a couple of range sessions between each lesson if you don’t get out on the course. Don’t expect things to get easier without practice and things will go backwards as well as forwards

robbeh32

Visit site
I've seen a few of your posts I think you should just slow down and try not to get ahead of yourself. So many lessons in such a short space must be mind bending for you. Maybe one lesson for a basic swing to begin with and taking that to range / course for a good few weeks. Even in a couple of years you'll probably be hitting bad drives and tops and fats you will drive yourself crazy trying to do to much to soon!

Reactions: MrC

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wish I was starting again, I would lessons and build a swing that a pro had worked with me on...

Instead I am self taught. Played golf as a kid, played a few rounds in adulthood socially as played a lot of cricket. Then spent my money on new clubs and a lot gear....

By the time I wanted to play golf more seriously I looked the part but I was stuck with a swing that is unreliable and leaves me struggling to improve!

Take your time, listen and trust your pro (and if you don’t find one that you do) and let them build your swing.

You will be amazed when it all comes together and how good you can get just by consistently hitting it straight and the same distance. I play with a guy who barely hits it 150 yards Rarely uses a driver or 3 wood. but he beats me every time - regular shoting 80. I am dreading the day he starts using the driver....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

If you can’t hit them by now you probably ought to give up. Sell the bats and choose another hobby.

Diamond

Visit site
I am only new to the sport myself but I know the answer to this. Go to American Golf and buy a TR20 Honma Driver For £599. One thing I know about golfers is that buying the best technology is always the answer. :ROFLMAO:

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I started off by only playing my 3 hybrid off the tee and have worked up to regularly using my driver now. I’m more consistent with my hybrid still but I won’t improve with the driver if I don’t use it and I can hit it a good deal further.

Keep practising, maybe use 5 iron or a hybrid off the tee until you’re comfortable and then build it up?

Danny Maude has a good video on YouTube called something along the lines of Iron Swing vs Driver Swing which I found great when deciding to use my driver regularly.

Sekiro

Visit site
4 lessons in 2 weeks? Personally I’d be gapping them lessons a little further apart, you are barely giving yourself enough time to work on any drills or progress your swing between them (obviously this is personal opinion but I’d feel like my head was gonna explode trying to work on/change so much in such a short time - my pro has me taking away 2-3 things to work on and gives three weeks between lessons).

I know where you are with the Driver though, if I pull the Driver from the bag it’s going every which way... long, yes.... but never straight (I’ll be lucky to get 3/10 that are any good). I’ve not had any work on my Driver though and for now I’m happy to leave it in the bag as I feel far more confident with the 3 wood off the tee anyway.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Here's what usually happens; you see the minimal loft on the driver or spoon and subconsciously try to scoop the ball up without realizing it.
Just concentrate on driving the ball forward without trying to lift it off the ground.
The ball goes egg-shaped at the angle of the loft and then jumps up into the air in the process of making itself round again.
But it can't do that if you hit it on the upswing.

D

Deleted member 1147

Here's what usually happens; you see the minimal loft on the driver or spoon and subconsciously try to scoop the ball up without realizing it.
Just concentrate on driving the ball forward without trying to lift it off the ground.
The ball goes egg-shaped at the angle of the loft and then jumps up into the air in the process of making itself round again.
But it can't do that if you hit it on the upswing.
You hit a driver on the upswing, watch Rory hit a driver, it’s exactly what he does