I’ve got a new putter

Newnsy

Visit site
So about 3 months ago I had an absolute shocker of a round with my current putter odyssey #7 stroke lab, and to teach it a lesson I ordered the new Odyssey #10 (Spider).

What I didn’t realise was it was going to take 3 months to arrive. My #7 has now learnt her lesson and behaving herself and even our Pro said I was putting well the other week.

Question is do I keep playing the #7 and wait for it to stop behaving or do I make the switch?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I thought the spider was a taylormade putter?

Anyway, as above but I think i'd be leaning towards the 10 just to see what you're capable of with it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To a large extent it's the person not the tools.
Not sure that's wholly true, if you find the putter with the perfect weight, perfect face balance, perfect length, then you will certainly putt better than you do with a putter that meets none of those.

To the OP - you'll have to test both of the putters side by side to see which is best suited to you. Maybe play a round where you use one putter for all the odd numbered holes, and the other putter for all the even numbered holes, then keep notes on your scorecard of (a) how many putts taken with each and (b) distance from the pin so you can quantify that number. You should have an idea which one is better for you after that.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Not sure that's wholly true, if you find the putter with the perfect weight, perfect face balance, perfect length, then you will certainly putt better than you do with a putter that meets none of those.

This makes total sense, but I bought my present putter online without ever having touched one like it.
Also true of my driving iron, and my numbered irons.

My sand wedge probably predates the internet. I've been playing it since I had a full (or near-full) head of hair. Now it has a graphite shaft and I have to wear a hat.

My driver, both fairway woods, and two other wedges were just loose clubs for sale in our pro shop.

Quite the way to configure a set, right?
So much for custom fitting.

If putting weren't the most comical part of my game for my entire life, I'd probably take getting fitted for a putter more seriously.
You can't teach an old dog--or an old Italian-American--new tricks.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not quite a few More to try with the Callaway Apex leading the way
My son has a set of those. Beautiful looking, he sends them high in the air, lands them softly, go a good distance, sound is lovely off the face. I can't hit them for love nor money :LOL:. I try every so often but they are a real ball strikers club and that rules me out :cry:. I'll stick with my chunky Pings.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
All my clubs were bought untested.
Not found one yet that I can't hit to some degree of satisfaction.

Club fitting for club golfers is a load of bull. (IMHO :))

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My son has a set of those. Beautiful looking, he sends them high in the air, lands them softly, go a good distance, sound is lovely off the face. I can't hit them for love nor money :LOL:. I try every so often but they are a real ball strikers club and that rules me out :cry:. I'll stick with my chunky Pings.

In truth that does concern me Lovely looking iron, but with less offset smaller head I wonder if they'll be too hard for me

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In truth that does concern me Lovely looking iron, but with less offset smaller head I wonder if they'll be too hard for me
It is one of those where you have to be honest with yourself. My BiL gave me a set of old Mizuno blades a number of years ago. When I hit the middle it was a thing of beauty but I soon realised that happened all too infrequently. After 2 months of slogging around I gave them back. Golf is hard enough as they say.

If you can get away with them then they really are lovely so I don't want to put you off.