hybrids ,how do you hit them?

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
following on from the hybrid/hookers thread I was wondering how you hit yours .do you hit with an iron swing or do you as I tend to do hit with a more sweeping swing more like a fairway wood .
I notice that a lot of you are hooking with the hybrid and is that due to attacking the ball with an iron type of shot as opposed to the sweep type, I dont hook my hybrid so is that because im sweeping rather than hitting down on it as an iron shot would

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I could be wrong, and I'm rubbish with hybrids so don't take my word for it, but I'd have thought sweeping them like a fairway wood would be more likely to lead to a hook than trying to hit them as if they were a long iron.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Both.
Depends on what I want the ball to do.
I find it I hit down (iron strike) the ball flies high
Sweep it and it comes out lower and runs more.
Ball position helps...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit down like an iron and hit them pretty much straight or with my normal slight fade, no left issues for me.

I also take a divot with my fairway wood and generally hit that with my normal fade as well.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not as simple as sweep vs steep.

Best thing is sort out ball position first, get it right for you and the hook will mostly go.

I hit mine with an iron swing and ball position and I stopped hooking.

Key for me was sorting the basics and not trying to play it like I thought it should.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play them as if I was playing a long iron, ball then slight divot. I can get a bit hooky with them but that is probably down to the fact that they have graphite shafts.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice long turn, then swing through, smoothly. Slap the back of the ball. Feel the weight of the club head doing the work. I have been taught never to hit down, with anything.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No sorry, mr forum pc plod.

Think you misunderstand the questions. Bob is a PGA pro so therefore perhaps what you are saying does not make sense to somebody who knows. In this instance If you take a divot you must be hitting down on the ball unless other things are happening.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was trying to sweep the ball with my hybrids but often just ended up topping the ball. So I moved the ball back a little and but a more iron swing on it and it's improved the contact and flight significantly for me. Might not be the same for all of course!

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think you misunderstand the questions. Bob is a PGA pro so therefore perhaps what you are saying does not make sense to somebody who knows. In this instance If you take a divot you must be hitting down on the ball unless other things are happening.
A PGA pro who thinks that divots can only be drawn the ball position is back in the stance?