Hybrid or wood

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
I am looking for a club that falls between my driver and 5 iron. Not entirely sure if I should go with a fairway wood or hybrid? I've tried 3, 5 and 7 woods (all TM Bubble) and when I caught them sweet it felt effortless. However, I struggled with the shaft length and that's why I'm tempted to look at a 16* or 19* hybrid? Cheers :confused:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my humble opinion, I reckon that it would be difficult to make such a personal decision without trying more than one brand of club.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am looking for a club that falls between my driver and 5 iron. Not entirely sure if I should go with a fairway wood or hybrid? I've tried 3, 5 and 7 woods (all TM Bubble) and when I caught them sweet it felt effortless. However, I struggled with the shaft length and that's why I'm tempted to look at a 16* or 19* hybrid? Cheers :confused:

i have a stiff shaft tm rescue 11 for sale 16 degree if your interested. £50 posted!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Lower lofted hybrids are, generally, much harder to get airborne than an equivalent fairway wood.

Do you struggle with your driver? There will be about 2-3 inches difference in shaft length between that and a 3 wood, broadly similar to the difference between a fairway and a hybrid.
A lot depends on your swing speed.
Too slow and you'll barely get a 16 degree hybrid off the ground, the Centre of Gravity isn't as low as a fairway and you won't generate enough spin to keep the ball in the air.
Sounds to me as if you need to see a Pro as there may be something fundamentally wrong with the way you're trying to use the fairways - virtually anyone should be able to hit a 5 and 7 wood reasonably...

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
I should have mentioned, I've tried Cleveland, Srixon, Wilson and Yonex fairway woods. With regards to hybrids, I've got a TM Burner rescue (5 iron equivalent) and have tried a Wilson hybrid (head to heavy).

If I'm honest it's the distance that interests me! A hybrid seems easier to hit, but I a, open to trying and persisting with a fairway wood..

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I should have mentioned, I've tried Cleveland, Srixon, Wilson and Yonex fairway woods. With regards to hybrids, I've got a TM Burner rescue (5 iron equivalent) and have tried a Wilson hybrid (head to heavy).

If I'm honest it's the distance that interests me! A hybrid seems easier to hit, but I a, open to trying and persisting with a fairway wood..

I hate being the one to point out the glaringly obvious but a '5 iron eq' is going to be easier to hit than clubs designed to carry much longer distances. My message is not to confuse the nature of the club (in this case a Hybrid) with the ease of hitting it (in this case associated with an easy to hit 5 iron).

Woods have longer shafts for a reason, and the only reason players hit 3 hybrids as far as, or further than, their 3 woods, is because they can't hit their 3 woods properly.

If you compare the ease of hitting a 5 W, with a 3 H or a 3 I, all off the tee to remove the inherent bias associated with particular lies, you will gnerally find that players will find them similar in terms of difficulty but will hit the 5W further, and the 3I the least (carry).

There's no 'free distance'; but it makes sense to play the type of club you feel most comfortable with.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I don't know if I've missed this because no-one else has asked and it seems like the obvious first questions to be able to offer an opinion, but...

What is your handicap?
How far do you hit the 5 iron, and is it carry or total distance?