hybrid or wood

s1john

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok peeps, what exactly is the difference between a hybrid and a wood as i am looking to replace my 3 iron as i really struggle with it and have noticed that you can get a 21 deg hybrid or a 21 deg fairway wood ( 7 wood ). what is the difference if any??

s1john

Club Champion
Visit site
Is it as simple as that, i have tried a friends 21 deg hybrid and struggled to hit it straight, i slice it quite bad to the right. But i am quite consistant with my 3 / 5 woods so maybe i will be better off going down the 7 wood route?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Generally, the 7 wood will hit the ball further than a 21 degree hybrid as the shaft will be longer. Longer shaft = more clubhead speed = more distance.

The hybrid should be regarded as a replacement for long irons and having similar distances to them. They're just easier to use than the 4,3 and 2 irons.

If you are more accurate with woods than hybrids then a "Gentleman's Persuader" - 7 wood - looks like the way to go.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
glad this was posted, i currently run a 3/5/7w in my back and im finidng my 7w is about 210-215. ive been struggling big time with my 4i as at the moment ive got a 5i for 180-185, then nothing from 185-210.

Ive just purchased a 2hybrid 16* and a 3hybrid 19* to try and work out the best replacement for my 4 iron. I wouldnt mind guessing that the 3/19* will be better for the summer but the 16* for the winter... ill keep ya posted.