Hybrid Clubs

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sounds like sales patter to me. The driver is bigger bucks to him so of course he'll say it'll do more for your game.

It would have been sales patter if he'd tried to get Slowhand to buy the club without trying it. Not good sales technique.

But the puppy dog close......

Ask Smiffy. He's the master. :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
walk away. go to a different shop then be stunned and amazed when the new salesman presents you with exactly the same options, for the same reasons, with a totally different pair of clubs.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not really a beginner, just been away for a while, but still had the odd game during that time.

Anyway, I took the plunge and bought the 24° hybrid today. Took it to the range this evening and it was great. Really nice shot shape and distance, and even the miss-hits went far.

Only bad news I had was from the guy in the shop. I took my 3 & 4 irons in so I could compare distances, etc. He took one look at them and told me they wee fakes! I looked the up on Callaway's web site this afternoon and he's right. The hosel is different from the picture on the sight.

Been looking at some 2008 Big Bertha irons. Can get graphite shafted 5-SW for £434, but am undecided as I wasn't hitting the irons I have too badly. Think I'll update the driver first and wait until next year for the irons.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If not get the one that you NEED more. How many times in a round do you use a driver ? How many times a hybrid ? How often does your current driver leave you in a tough position, making the rest of the hole impossible to score on ? How many times do you mess up your 3 and 4 irons losing you strokes on a hole ?

Get BOTH, that way if you hit a bad drive you'll have a club that you can recover with.

Simples! :p

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just started playing again after years out of the game, so when I went for a club fitting a Hybrid club was completely new to me.
I always thought I'd end up with a 'traditional' make-up of clubs as someone said on the previous page, but I ended up buying one because it filled the gap between 3-wood and 3-iron better than a 5-wood did.

Every article I've read about hybrids mentions how easy they are to hit, but to be honest so far I've hit more bad shots with it than any other club in my bag!
I don't know if it's because of the odd length of it, somewhere between a wood and an iron, or just because it's new to me, but so far it's the leading candidate to be left in the boot when I play a game to rules, since some idiot forgot about the putter when he was counting up to 14 clubs when deciding what to order :eek:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Been looking at some 2008 Big Bertha irons. Can get graphite shafted 5-SW for £434, but am undecided as I wasn't hitting the irons I have too badly. Think I'll update the driver first and wait until next year for the irons.

Have a look in the for sale section. ;) ;) :p

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Was about to say the same thing. Just becasue they're fakes doesn't mean they're no good. If they work for you I'd stick with them - who else is going to know. Apart from us that is..