Hybrid as long, straighter, than 3W & Driver?

njt1986

Visit site
Hey guys, first time posting here, just wanted to pick someone's brain a little as I recently bought a 2nd hand 19* Hybrid off Golf Bidder as I felt like I needed to bridge the gap between my 3W (13.5*) and my 4 Iron (I believe its 23*) so 19* Hybrid seemed to be a decent, cheaper option. Give it a whirl and see what happens you know?

I used it for the first time this weekend and I was averaging just over 240yds with it, which is the same average as my 3W, and only around 10yds shorter on average than my Driver - but with the ball landing consistently in either the centre of the fairway or slightly to the right of centre.

My 3W was my previous most consistent club off the tee and i'm just a bit confused as to the yardage, given what appears to be a decent difference in loft. I'm still a complete beginner having only played for 2 years, so my understanding (albeit a little naive i'm sure) was along the lines of higher loft, shorter distance, lower loft (to an extent) longer distance. So to be hitting my Hybrid as long as my 3W and only a little shorter than my Driver seems strange.

Has this been something anyone has had happen to them before? Was it more a swing issue or a club issue? As the end result leads me to think that there's something not quite right as I should really be hitting my 3W maybe 10yds+ beyond the Hybrid and the Driver another 10yds+ beyond the 3W but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I went to the driving range yesterday and same results. Driver launched lower, 3W a little higher and Hybrid even higher and yet the Hybrid was easily keeping up with them.

If anyone could shed some light on this i'd appreciate it as it's confused the hell out of me and i'm not sure if this is something I should remedy with lessons and range time or by a change of equipment, cheers

User20204

Visit site
Strike is King. Shorter shaft, higher loft easier to catch the middle of the clubface more often. As your skills improve your likely to find those differences stretching out a bit.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yesterday I was 225 from the middle of the green with a back pin. Par 5.
Lie wasn't good enough for the 4 wood so I used my 21° hybrid just to get down there
2 minutes later I'm putting for eagle from the back edge of the green....best part of 240 yards.....
I know where you're coming from but I don't know why......
Oh, and welcome to the madhouse

Visit site
Lie wasn't good enough for the 4 wood so I used my 21° hybrid just to get down there
2 minutes later I'm putting for eagle from the back edge of the green....best part of 240 yards.....AND? :eek:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hey guys, first time posting here, just wanted to pick someone's brain a little as I recently bought a 2nd hand 19* Hybrid off Golf Bidder as I felt like I needed to bridge the gap between my 3W (13.5*) and my 4 Iron (I believe its 23*) so 19* Hybrid seemed to be a decent, cheaper option. Give it a whirl and see what happens you know?

I used it for the first time this weekend and I was averaging just over 240yds with it, which is the same average as my 3W, and only around 10yds shorter on average than my Driver - but with the ball landing consistently in either the centre of the fairway or slightly to the right of centre.

My 3W was my previous most consistent club off the tee and i'm just a bit confused as to the yardage, given what appears to be a decent difference in loft. I'm still a complete beginner having only played for 2 years, so my understanding (albeit a little naive i'm sure) was along the lines of higher loft, shorter distance, lower loft (to an extent) longer distance. So to be hitting my Hybrid as long as my 3W and only a little shorter than my Driver seems strange.

Has this been something anyone has had happen to them before? Was it more a swing issue or a club issue? As the end result leads me to think that there's something not quite right as I should really be hitting my 3W maybe 10yds+ beyond the Hybrid and the Driver another 10yds+ beyond the 3W but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I went to the driving range yesterday and same results. Driver launched lower, 3W a little higher and Hybrid even higher and yet the Hybrid was easily keeping up with them.

If anyone could shed some light on this i'd appreciate it as it's confused the hell out of me and i'm not sure if this is something I should remedy with lessons and range time or by a change of equipment, cheers
how far was the carry and what is your CHS?

njt1986

Visit site
how far was the carry and what is your CHS?

I'm not certain of the carry but the ball wasn't rolling out much. Seemed to almost "stall" and drop softly. It was lovely hitting it into greens on Par 5's! Just a shame I putt like Happy Gilmore when he starts out! I'd guess something around 220-230 (ish)

I take it that CHS is Handicap? At the moment I don't have one, if you could have a Handicap of 100 then i'd take it! Over the last year i've averaged 31 over Par at my local course so I think it's safe to say that my technique/ability is, for lack of a better way of putting it - rubbish.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not certain of the carry but the ball wasn't rolling out much. Seemed to almost "stall" and drop softly. It was lovely hitting it into greens on Par 5's! Just a shame I putt like Happy Gilmore when he starts out! I'd guess something around 220-230 (ish)

I take it that CHS is Handicap? At the moment I don't have one, if you could have a Handicap of 100 then i'd take it! Over the last year i've averaged 31 over Par at my local course so I think it's safe to say that my technique/ability is, for lack of a better way of putting it - rubbish.

no CHS= Club Head Speed, usually with the driver, so would estimate if you can carry a 19 deg hybrid 230 ish, your driver CHS should be around 115 MPH, which is PGA tour standard. so you should be hitting the driver much further 270 range carry.

as you say you shouldn't be hitting driver, 3 wood and hybrid the same distance. this club either suits you very well and the others don't.

what shafts are in these clubs?

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site
CHS doesn't always translate to distance. At a fitting day we had and the guy before me was 95 with his driver and was carrying 210, I was being fitted for a 3 wood and my speed was also 95 yet my carry was 240

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
2 minutes later I'm putting for eagle from the back edge of the green....best part of 240 yards.....

someone had their 3 Weetabix yesterday!

njt1986

Visit site
no CHS= Club Head Speed, usually with the driver, so would estimate if you can carry a 19 deg hybrid 230 ish, your driver CHS should be around 115 MPH, which is PGA tour standard. so you should be hitting the driver much further 270 range carry.

as you say you shouldn't be hitting driver, 3 wood and hybrid the same distance. this club either suits you very well and the others don't.

what shafts are in these clubs?

The heads/shafts are:

Driver - Cleveland Launcher DST 9.5*, Diamana 44vSL Flex-S
3W - Cleveland Launcher DST 13.5*, Diamana 64vSL Flex-S
Hybrid - Mizuno MP650 19*, Fujikura Orochi Stiff 70g

They're obviously not fitted for me as at the moment i'm just ironing out daft mistakes/lack of concentration and reigning in the swing between my good rounds and my bad rounds - currently the difference between good rounds and bad rounds is 30 shots...don't ask me how, I...I have no idea

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The difference is a 240 carry. Achievable with a driver quite comfortably for a lot of players, but a 240 carry with a 19' hybrid is massive for almost everyone.