How's your season been?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Surely there is a way to create a snappier link than that? i.e. channel/classicgolfclubs rather than the random collection of letters? Most of the channels I follow seem to have their actual name there in the link.

Edit: There is, if you click on Channel Customisation in your settings.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Highslice

Visit site
Joined a club, played more than I have since I was 16 (a while ago now)

Started off with rounds hovering around 100-110, with the occasional high 90s.

Recently put in three cards for handicap, the best of which was a 93 and ended up with a 16.0 index! (I’ve never shot better than 21 over, ever).

Next challenge is to break 90, get more cards in to count towards the WHS and then see where I’m really at..

on the course I’m long and straight off the tee, but wildly erratic with everything else. Trying to get round to booking an iron-play lesson.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very positive. Plenty of Opens, plenty of rounds with friends, plenty of away days. My game has been solid this year. Far more reliable off the tee, although that has been tested in the last couple of rounds, which has led to a cut of 2 shots. If I really want to go lower then I need to start to practice but I am not sure if I am committed enough for that.

Biggest improvement, swapping a hybrid for a 7 wood. Game changer. Way more consistent with a 7 wood, much better for my second shots, leading to lower scores.....

All in all, if I have as much fun next year then I will be very happy.

G1z1

Visit site
Started golf 11 months ago for the first time, first handicap was 42 now 24 and now i regularly break 90 from the whites. So good first year for me but still massive work to do. Feel as if the next year will let me know if ill be a good golfer or not. Goal is single figure handicap by next year.

D

Deleted member 3432

Enjoyed playing this year, the weather has been good and the course is just a fabulous place to play.

Down to 2.6 but comp play has lost its appeal as I'm not competive off my handicap.

Less comps and more social golf next year beckons I think.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Started the year without a handicap but probably playing to around 20, got my three cards in and came out at 18.4.

My aim was pretty ambitious but I wanted to get to single figures before the year was out. I then came to the realisation that this was not going to happen with the birth of my firstborn so I set an aim to shoot a single figure round.

Happy to say I'd managed it by April! And have since shot under 80 3 times and managed to gain a modicum of consistency for a while which culminated in my handicap dropping down to 11.5, albeit with only 16 cards in.

Its been a great year for me and I'm hoping to build on it next year and really push on for single figures. Over the winter I'm going to spend a lot of time on my <100 yards game as I think that's where the biggest improvements are to be made.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very positive. Plenty of Opens, plenty of rounds with friends, plenty of away days. My game has been solid this year. Far more reliable off the tee, although that has been tested in the last couple of rounds, which has led to a cut of 2 shots. If I really want to go lower then I need to start to practice but I am not sure if I am committed enough for that.

Biggest improvement, swapping a hybrid for a 7 wood. Game changer. Way more consistent with a 7 wood, much better for my second shots, leading to lower scores.....

All in all, if I have as much fun next year then I will be very happy.

I'd love to be able to hit woods... The theory of a hight floating arrow is appealing, but for some reason I just can't hit them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd love to be able to hit woods... The theory of a hight floating arrow is appealing, but for some reason I just can't hit them.
I won't pretend I hit it cleanly every time, nor that sails into the far distance. I'm not a proper 'forum' player ?. The 7 wood has replaced a 5 or 6 iron for me, neither of which I can hit nor actually bother have in the bag. It's a club that gives a great trajectory, works better for me the more gently I swing, blimey that is hard to do even though my actual swing is a bit Miss Daisy anyway. Have you tried the slow approach? I know that goes against the fashion for club head speed and distance but it seems to be a successful method if you struggle with woods.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The year's not over yet. Next 3 scores to drop from my 20 are not in my best 8. I've got 3 free goes at a further reduction from 2.5.
Last October I was 5.6 in old money. Then 4.3 overnight in November. Consistent-golf-scoring-wise my best year ever in my life, it seems.

First year on this forum, some new friends and acquaintances (and more on the way), got my head round WHS, a new interest in vintage golf.
Wasn't expecting so much fun during a pandemic. What a happy bunny I must sound. Well, that's cheered me up at least. Ta very muchly.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Index was 14.4 at the start of the year. First couple of months were dreadful, although I was hitting the ball O.K the short game and bunker play had gone to pot. Index peaked at 17.0 around the end of May. Since then I've slowly managed to turn it around, had a few placings in club and open comps and after playing today expect to come down to 13.6.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I won't pretend I hit it cleanly every time, nor that sails into the far distance. I'm not a proper 'forum' player ?. The 7 wood has replaced a 5 or 6 iron for me, neither of which I can hit nor actually bother have in the bag. It's a club that gives a great trajectory, works better for me the more gently I swing, blimey that is hard to do even though my actual swing is a bit Miss Daisy anyway. Have you tried the slow approach? I know that goes against the fashion for club head speed and distance but it seems to be a successful method if you struggle with woods.

I've tried all sorts... But I always come back to topping it, I wonder if it's mental.

Driver is probably strongest club in my bag... And I can hit 3 iron +.... But woods? Nope, never, nudda.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Woods, who needs 'em? Driver and 16d hybrid. Just ditched the 21d hybrid for a 2-iron now that the fairways are so hard. Its an oldie but goodie of this set...

pwrblt ovs.jpg

Second shot on par fives, three-quarter swing and bang, low like a bullet, about 165 carry and 50 yards of roll. Tee it up on a long par three and a full swing for 190 carry. Off the tee on a couple of par fours, because the hybrid up in the air was bouncing all over the shop. Shame I live about as far away from a links as you can get in the UK.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Been good so far.....index has dropped from 11.3 to 8.3 since the start of the year so it was nice to see the improvement that started in the summer of 2020 has been capitalised upon and improved further.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've tried all sorts... But I always come back to topping it, I wonder if it's mental.

Driver is probably strongest club in my bag... And I can hit 3 iron +.... But woods? Nope, never, nudda.
If you can hit a 3 iron then I'm not sure you need woods. I have them because I can't hit long irons. Don't be greedy ?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've also started a YouTube channel, which takes a lot more time to do than I thought it would....

I had a quick look, nice job, creating content like that takes a lot of effort.

As for my season. I guess my year has been successful compared to the previous couple. I've submitted a whopping 6 (absolutely awful) scorecards into WHS which compared to last year's 1 qualifying card is good progress even though it's sending the handicap in the wrong direction.

Highlight of my golfing year so far has been taking my 9 y/o daughter out on course for the first time and introducing her to matchplay just this weekend gone. She played each hole from about 100 yards and got her first "birdie" on the 5th hole which we were playing as a par 4.

However, this also became a lowlight. She won her second hole off me by putting out for an 8 on a par3 where I'd taken a 12! And for full embarrassment, that was a twelve with the same ball and only a single putt but at least she got a good education in how not to pitch up to an elevated green. She found it hilarious as the ball kept rolling back to my feet.

Apart from that, bit depressed really. Injured myself earlier in the year and it wrecked nearly all the plans I had for hiking, climbing, cycling and golf on the whole.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Started in April.

Had half a dozen lessons to get me going and got fitted out for clubs within the first two months.

Had 2 eagles already.

Half a dozen rounds without losing a ball.

Best score so far of 81.

Just come back from Alicante playing abroad for the first time on ‘Bermuda’ grass.

Half my friends have now transitioned to playing with me.

Consistently leaving early from work to have a round.

Consistently having to lie to the misses that I’m getting held up on the course just so I can sink a few beers after.

Thought it would just been a seasonal thing but after playing in wetter / softer ground conditions it actually suits my game better so maybe winter golf will be a goer for me.

Thought this ‘honeymoon’ phase would ease off but it’s getting worse.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
A big comeback season for me after a slow start.
Lost about forty pounds and my back responded with gratitude.

Last year was a lost year. Golf was semi-playable under the covid conditions but the social aspects were shut down so I didn't bother much.
After a decent June this year--good weather but bad playing--and a very rainy July, the season finally got pretty good in August
when I put together a number of presentable rounds and actually had decent weeks.

Had a little mouse problem at the castle for a few weeks again, like a couple of years ago, and did my best to catch and release.
I can't kill furry little mammals...they're just too cute. Instead, I left food and water out for them, but brought them outdoors when I could catch them.
The Welsh Terrier was indifferent to the entire situation and of no help whatsoever.
My fault for choosing a UK breed.
The little guys seems to be gone for now, but who knows?

Anybody, how are you devoted subjects of your beautiful queen all doing?
However it is, be glad you're there and not here.

Chambers2289

Visit site
First full season due to Covid.

Started the season off of 22.6.

As of now I’m at 15.7.

Lost a big board comp with 46 points to somebody in the same group with 48. ?

Came 3rd overall in our summer eclectic series losing by just 3 shots in the end.

Made my debut for the club team, we have a county wide competition final coming up at the beginning of October.

1st July - Hole in One
5th September - Hole in One
Both in competitions.

Overall very pleased with how it’s gone.