How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played Mon 6th at Enville, Tue 7th at WP, Wed 8th , Fri 10th and Mon 13th at Enville. The rain came down on Monday evening, cancelling the football I was going to on the evening and as a result, WP was closed for my usual Tuesday roll up. I played Enville today but WP was still closed today.

More rain tomorrow will keep WP closed but I will be playing Enville again on Friday. They kept the back 9 closed on Highgate at Enville today but the other 27 holes were fine.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I was going to play Saturday at Dartmouth (first round since Wrangaton on the 30th), but don't think i'll bother. So much real on Tuesday and, plenty forecast tomorrow too.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Brickhampton closed today :( and with the rain forecast later today I do wonder when it might be playable again!

Closed today and already made the call to close tomorrow. That will be closed 6 days out of the last 7 :(
Members are cancelling their membership I've heard.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not been to Nairn in a couple of weeks, but it will be fine drains well, what keeping me away is the fact Mackenzie and Ebert digging up most of the holes. plan was to do 3 at a time, so they did 3, didn't finish then moved on and dug up a few more... so most are either out of play, or silly short holes while they do work..

will be giving it a swerve until its finished.

Walked though the Kings this afternoon with Rupert, looks wet, but playable. due to play Nairn Dunbar at the weekend, 14 and 13 no doubt will be wet, rest should be fine

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My local course is a pay and play and it's now down to 10 holes open. If it was a private club it would be shut. Common sense would tell you not to bother. I haven't bothered.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most of the courses in East Herts (including my own) shut for the second day following rain on Tuesday night.
Seems like a good time to be off for some winter sports next week.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greenkeepers are not miracle workers. Members forget that!

Not so much that in many cases. Certainly I appreciate that green staff cannot control the weather and perform miracles. What the bad weather does is bring into perspective the value of membership. In my case I think that I have managed 3 rounds of 9 holes only since October due to rain or the queues and delays caused by having a severely reduced course and number of starting points. I know that this is not anybody's fault and there is no blame being attributed. What it has done is make me think. As a golfer who can only play at weekends (and mostly only once at weekends) losing 3 plus months of playing due to poor weather has started making me think whether my membership is worth it based on how much I can play.

Ok, there are frustrations about how the club has handled it. As we are one of the few clubs in the area open, we were taking in a significant number of pay and players from closed clubs over the xmas period thus reducing the access to members. We also have a booking system that we only use for competitions. With only one start point and hour long queues, it would make sense to put it in place or all rounds whilst there is only one start point, even a ball chute or similar would be better than standing on the tee in the cold in a queue.

Anyway, if I decide to end my membership, and not saying I will at the moment, it will not be because I blame the staff for the current situation but rather because it has made me think about the value I am getting.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Setting aside the open or closed aspect (we've been closed past two days again) I really have no desire to play again until there is a period of drying out allowing the saturated ground some chance to recover.

Two reasons.

1. I don't think churning the course up is a good idea.
2. Having only played twice since just before Christmas I hated almost every minute of it both times.

It's golf, Jim, but not as we know it.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's been incredibly wet since Oct but I don't think we've been shut for even a day & certainly no restrictions other than Buggies & trolleys to paths only otherwise carry & the trolley restriction was taken off after they managed to cut the fairways last week for the first time since late Oct.
To continue play we've extended our usual Exceptional Winter Rules to include pick/clean/place in the General Area, & 'no lost balls' due to plugging, long grass or under leaves..... so agree with pp's & place without penalty.... also all bunkers GUR.
And as I also use a fairway mat, it resembles 'golf' only a little but still allows a good walk to be spoilt :p:p & you need well over 40pts to get in the results

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not so much that in many cases. Certainly I appreciate that green staff cannot control the weather and perform miracles. What the bad weather does is bring into perspective the value of membership. In my case I think that I have managed 3 rounds of 9 holes only since October due to rain or the queues and delays caused by having a severely reduced course and number of starting points. I know that this is not anybody's fault and there is no blame being attributed. What it has done is make me think. As a golfer who can only play at weekends (and mostly only once at weekends) losing 3 plus months of playing due to poor weather has started making me think whether my membership is worth it based on how much I can play.

Ok, there are frustrations about how the club has handled it. As we are one of the few clubs in the area open, we were taking in a significant number of pay and players from closed clubs over the xmas period thus reducing the access to members. We also have a booking system that we only use for competitions. With only one start point and hour long queues, it would make sense to put it in place or all rounds whilst there is only one start point, even a ball chute or similar would be better than standing on the tee in the cold in a queue.

Anyway, if I decide to end my membership, and not saying I will at the moment, it will not be because I blame the staff for the current situation but rather because it has made me think about the value I am getting.

I wasn't really referring to individual choices and the right to migrate to another course should you decide the weather has put a "dampener" on your game time.

Wolf

Visit site
Id be better off playing golf in the roads than on the course at moment. Hasn't been properly playable for months, certainly making me consider my membership options and whether its worth going nomad for a while till i decide what to do. Greenkeepers can't help the weather but I can't justify a membership of a course that can effectively be unplayable for upto 4 months a year. Temporary greens just don't cut it for me even when they're playable.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not like me to gloat - but I will. Tomorrow I will be playing my sixth qualifier of this year. Not only that, but I have buffered in 3 of the 5 played - double gloat.