How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My favourite Helen Willetts told me at lunchtime that we have a whole week of dry weather coming up next week :) She added that we have not had consecutive dry days anything like this since September.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they've been paying by Direct Debit....perhaps they can get out of the remaining months...

Our club's Direct Scheme is not with the club but a finance company. The finance company has given us the full amount so anybody leaving still has to pay the finance company. A common arrangement with a lot of clubs.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There was plenty of rain at 5am this morning so I thought we may not get out. It had stopped by 8 and 6 of us went out. The course was damp in places and the showers during the round left some greens wet. The fairways were fine - in fact the path from the course to the road was the worst part. The worst part was when we got to the 13th. The wind was very strong into our faces and cold on that hole - and we had the worst rain of the day. The rain had stopped by the 14th and we only had one more light shower.

I've just realised that the low area between 6th and 7th was full of water on Wednesday but that area was completely dry today - we went in there to look for a PP's ball. I'm surprised given the amount of rain we had yesterday and between 5 and 8 this morning.

WP was closed and will be closed tomorrow apparently.

Visit site
We are open, carry only, but to be perfectly honest, I am only going to play tomorrow for a meet up with my mates, and some exercise. In the 17 years i have been a member, I can never remember conditions a miserable as we currently have. So many plugged, (and lost) balls. I am just playing with old balls, and to hell with the consequences. At least our greens are amazing, and we use normal tees, and no mats, so there's something to be said for that. But it IS a challenge, and it's only for the dedicated.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Front nine open today (carrying) but back nine closed still.

which part of the course can be seen from the road where the greens are on the right after coming under the bridge then turning right through the town, I passed it yesterday at 1pm, was deserted and those greens looked very wet with puddles showing.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We are closed today, competition cancelled tomorrow and course closed all day Saturday.
6.30am inspection Sunday.

Ditto, Comp cancelled at my home club tomorrow, course has been closed for 3-days now, I’m off to Woodhall, again ??️⛳

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
our course hasn't been shut atall, only time your on temps is if theres a hard frost which hasn't been often this year. Its another great thing about links golf is being able to play full golf all year

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Pyrford has been closed the past three days. Most local courses round here are the same except the idiotic "we'll take money from anyone" places that are just getting wrecked. One near here is still allowing motorised trolleys with no restrictions. One of their fairways is nothing but a mudbath now. You unfortunately have to accept at being at the mercy of the weather.

We're less then 2 miles away from Pyrford and other than being shut on Weds after the storm have been fully open, just with no buggies allowed. Trolleys fine.

No real mud around, full tees and greens etc

Far from getting 'wrecked'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s dry and we are open - but only 13 holes as our long 14th takes us out a loop to the three holes that have the very wettest areas when it’s been very wet. 16 gets very wet off neighbouring fields, and this impacts approach to green on 14 and then an area across 17. But I’ll go a play 13 - though we do have a short inner loop of 1-4 plus 13 that we could play twice to make 18. Maybe we’ll do that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nairn Dunbar was in pretty good condition today, greens cut and running quite well, 13th was a bit wet from the Burn to the green but thats to be expected.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Went out for 9 holes practice for tomorrow’s comp but in all honesty I think it should be shut, no dry bits at all, only wet or boggy bits.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Front nine open today carry only. The Saturday roll out went out for a nine hole comp and it was borderline playable in places and the greens were terribly wet. I didn't play great post lesson so had a coffee after with the group and then wandered out to the practice ground. That was a mistake. Like hitting from a bog and so hard to make any constructive progress on the swing change. Really can't see the back being open tomorrow and not sure I fancy another wet loop on the front nine

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Open with 4 temps in play
No buggies due to waterlogged areas...

Doesn't that scream "we should be closed but"..?
As theres no rain due it will improve so I'm going up tuesday morning to investigate.
I may need a complete change of clothes before I get back in the car...