How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Friday after torrential rain on Thursday and the previous four or five days of drying-out had been all but negated.

All 18 were still playable but general conditions very wet underfoot again. Our greens are still superb (our green keepers playing a blinder despite the horrendous conditions) but it's as soon as you go off the fairway the horror lies and bogginess kick in. Nothing can be done about it. Just the sheer volume of rain we've had since November.

Forecast looking fairly grim again this week with oodles of rain due. Is it ever going to dry up??????????

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Other than one area on one hole our course is pretty dry - this area is subject to a lot of run-off from adjacent fields and so is the first to get saturated and last to dry out - we have been trying to sort for years. Anyway. Unfortunately the area is where most tee shots land and end up - it extends across the fairway and from maybe 180yds to 230yds off the tee. We are temporarily getting around the problem of casual water and plugged balls by playing from a forward tee - and from that tee most of us clear the wet area.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played at the local council course, yesterday and after the drenching on Saturday night, it was a tad moist under foot.

But a hits a hit, glad it was open.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Closed Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Open today - but can't imagine it's fun playing out there.
We got our fix on Saturday by travelling 20 odd miles to another course that drains better - but even that course was very wet!
With more rain forecast this week I can see my home course being closed again by the weekend :(

Fish

Banned
Visit site
With the sound of the rain & wind (storm) currently bashing the house, I’d say we’re going to be closed for a few more days, if not the week!

If I get early notice the comp scheduled for Saturday has been cancelled, I’ll be trying to get a tee time over at Woodhall, Cant be doing with cold turkey golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Taking a bit of a weather-bashing down here in Surrey at the moment - nothing like what the Hebrides are getting mind - just as well not planning to play this week

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Will be interesting to see how open we are tomorrow. I reckon we should be open but could well be carry only. We had dried out really well and was in great nick yesterday especially the bunkers which had been sorted and some new sand offered so each are becoming more equal in terms of depth and the greens which were still running well and relatively quick

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
More chance of our cat having a dance with the Devil than the zoo being open tomorrow..
Ellesborough, on the other hand, may ban buggies again:rolleyes::LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Loads of rain last night and the Zoo is.....open but back 9 only
And this is my problem with the club.
The back 9 is the lowest part of the course and intertwines with the front 9.
So if the front 9 is too wet to play, unless there's been some miraculous rain deviation tactics in force, the back 9 will have had the same amount and will be in the same condition....they've been told, I suspect, by the owners or some higher ranking members to keep some of the course open regardless
The course will get churned up.
#79daystogo

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Managed to get kinda out today, but god it’s wet, we ended up on our par 3 course and one of the holes I was on it was like walking on a sponge. It was surreal. Some of the shots we played, you looked at your club head after the shot and it was covered in mud.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Struggling but the work the greenkeeping team did over the summer is really helping. Only really a problem in a small area short of the first green and a layup area in front of the 9th, the rest of the front 9 is ok. Back 9, the 12th has been made a par 3 to save the fairway.

Honestly, they should close it. All the hard work the team did to turn the course around in summer is slowly being lost to the elements.

Lots more rain forecast this week as well *sigh*

This is usually a knee deep brook :D

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Managed to get kinda out today, but god it’s wet, we ended up on our par 3 course and one of the holes I was on it was like walking on a sponge. It was surreal. Some of the shots we played, you looked at your club head after the shot and it was covered in mud.

Try a pair of Adidas shoes with their Boost technology, it's like walking on a sponge all the time!
They're awesome.