How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Greens though are mainly dry and the rope drainage we installed on them is superb and any club that suffers we wet greens shoold look at
I'd not heard of rope drainage before so had a quick look around and found a couple of videos showing it being installed.
Our course has been removing turf (in strips about a 12-18" wide), digging trenches for the pipework and then relaying the turf, and it takes a few weeks to recover.
The rope drainage is clearly much less intrusive.
You say it works well - is yours installed in the clay based areas of your course?

D

Deleted member 17920

Considering the amount of rain we have had its amazing that any course is open.

The Hotchkin is in fine condition, fairways are really superb, greens are soft, we have a couple of bunkers that are out of action as they cant take any more rain.

The Bracken is also very playable but its soft in places.

We haven't been closed for one day yet but this wet stuff isn't over yet!

Other courses in the area are really struggling, I really feel for all the clubs this autumn as its been honking.

Forecast for tomorrow isn't great again, now bored of rain.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our is holding up pretty well considering. 2017 was by far the wettest I've ever know at our course and the water table was really high. Since then an awful lot of drainage work has been carried out and you can really see the benefit. Our 18th is transformed from then and we have done drainage on other parts of the course, and on some greens, and you can really see the difference.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My course is closed today and has closed most of the last week. Was due to play there tomorrow but have arranged to play at West Berks instead. Was supposed to play South Bucks yesterday but they called and cancelled. Several courses I checked (Bird Hills, Royal Ascot) were open but only 9 holes. Ended up playing at Reading GC which was in pretty good shape.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd not heard of rope drainage before so had a quick look around and found a couple of videos showing it being installed.
Our course has been removing turf (in strips about a 12-18" wide), digging trenches for the pipework and then relaying the turf, and it takes a few weeks to recover.
The rope drainage is clearly much less intrusive.
You say it works well - is yours installed in the clay based areas of your course?
Rope drainage is purely for greens and fringes only - it’s about £8k a green

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
My course Leasowe is fine most of the year but even we have had holes closed recently, we have to play 1-9 17 and 18 for 11 holes or depending how busy it is we can do 1-5 again and it brings us back to the clubhouse, not ideal but better than being closed completely like a lot of clubs by us.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My course is closed today and has closed most of the last week. Was due to play there tomorrow but have arranged to play at West Berks instead. Was supposed to play South Bucks yesterday but they called and cancelled. Several courses I checked (Bird Hills, Royal Ascot) were open but only 9 holes. Ended up playing at Reading GC which was in pretty good shape.
Surprise Reading was open, as it can get very wet through the valley. Such a shame my first course is going to close.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being sand-based heathland we have been very fortunate to continue to run 3 QRs a week. We have had buggies banned on a couple of occasions but, other than that, things have carried on as normal with proper greens and tees. As you can imagine, we have had lots of visitors from other courses who have not been so fortunate.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sand based parkland in Nottinghamshire. The courses in the immediate vicinity seem to be struggling badly. We haven't had to close, although four greens are often on temps. I've only played our Christmas comps in the last few weeks. The course is looking somewhat tired and is definitely wetter than it has ever been. It does make you wonder whether the 'carry on regardless' approach is sensible.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jonny - we are only a few miles from you and managing to stay open - just! The course is at saturation point though and we need a few dry days to let the course dry out a bit!! Rain, rain go way!!!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oooh - seeing big lightening flashes down Winchester direction and coming our way...:(

Been some torrential downpours in this part of Surrey this afternoon...can't see our place being open tomorrow if rain continues overnight.