How would the pros do on your home course?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Our course is just over 6600 par 72, quite a few driveable par 4s, so I'd expect then to tear it up.

But, we have a lot of sloping greens and if the greenkeeper wanted to be nasty he could cut the greens short and put holes in positions that would add several shots to their scores.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The top pro's say they are happy to shoot 1 under on the pga (belfry) off the blues. I've played it off the whites and its hard but when i played it off the blues i gave me a new found respect for how good pro golfers are

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well, according to Wikipedia, Sawgrass as the pros play (7,215 yards) has a rating of 76.8. The whites, 6,103 yards, is 70.9. The average round at Sawgrass looks around 70-71, so 6-7 below average. Off those front tees, you're looking at an average of 64-65. So a top pro, on a good day, in the 50s wouldn't surprise me. They're scoring mid 60s on courses where average is par+5.

But I don't think they'd score in the 50s automatically. They aren't robots, they will miss shots, leave approaches too far away etc. The winning score in that major would probably be 40-50 under par though.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Glenmuir PGA Professional Championship Scottish Qualifier was played over our Lansdowne course on the 1st May. and the best round was -1. Not quite the World's top pros, but some pretty good players non the less.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seeing as our Amateur course record is 63 by a Guy playing off 1, a number in the 50's wouldn't surprise me.
And seeing as I've birdied every hole before it means a Pro could birdie them all!!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
They would shred it. At mine, 6614 par 71, all the par 5's would be comfortably in range in 2. The 359 yard 5th would be driveable to a number of them, the 397 yard 10th would also be in danger, and the dogleg left 358 yard 15th has been driven across the corner by Ross Fisher hitting a fade. The real animals might reach the 365 yard 9th. That's potentially 8 under with 36 putts, if one of them didn't hit something in the 50's I'd be surprised.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Steve Richardson (Ryder Cup player) holds the Pro record at my Club, 64, five under par. The amateur record is 60 :eek: by Andy Sullivan, before he turned Pro.

A lot of old inland courses are just too short for the current Pro's. 30 years ago when they had persimmon woods and old golf balls it was a different matter. 450 yard holes were a drive and at least a long iron, . Now they are a three wood and a short iron.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Glenmuir PGA Professional Championship Scottish Qualifier was played over our Lansdowne course on the 1st May. and the best round was -1. Not quite the World's top pros, but some pretty good players non the less.

The difference between a club pro and a tour pro is like the difference between your club pro and a mid handicapper.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think our course record is a 64 with the play in question off scratch. A pro on our short course, par 68 would most likely take the course apart, some holes would be par only but if in an ideal world they birdied the easy holes then I reckon a 54 would be possible. The longer course a par 72 would put up a tougher fight with a 57 in an ideal world.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know about the full touring pros but we used to have the short course championship at our course several years ago and that was normally won with -1 or -2.
Course record is still only -4 from one of the resident pros at the club. Not long but far from easy.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd expect a chance of something in the 50's. they'd kill the course just on length alone.

All par 5's would be effectively 4's and could eagle two of those say, I'd expect that 6 of the par 4's they could reach with a 3 wood or driver and 3 of the par 3's would be routine up and downs for them.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
The club I play at held the Irish Open in 2000 and it was won with a 4 round total of -14 with rounds of 64,65,71,70. Sergio took a 77 in the final round...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would say tear the place apart. Its 6800 off the blue and windy most of the time, but I think this is still too short even for elite Am golf now and we have held all of the top am comps in the past. When the walker cup was there in 1999, Donald, Casey and Co had a bit of a birdie fest!
Phil and Paddy both played the course during the Scottish open the last few years and from what I understand, it’s was still a bit of a pitch and putt, with both driving the first green, without using a driver.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To me, the only thing that would stop them tearing courses apart are the greens. They play on greens where the surface is normally as smooth as a billiard table, if not as flat!

My Pro mate used to be in a bunch who played at Camberley Heath and a normal round was -6.

Those 'long' Par 3s (> 176) are not long for them. That's probably a 7 iron, 8 iron for some!

Last edited:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think the only defence we would have against a top pro would be to allow the greenkeepers to put the pins in the spots he's not normally allowed to because of the severe slopes! A big hitting tour pro would probably be taking on most of our par4 greens from the tee, and both par 5s would be a flick in for the second shot!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd expect a chance of something in the 50's. they'd kill the course just on length alone.

All par 5's would be effectively 4's and could eagle two of those say, I'd expect that 6 of the par 4's they could reach with a 3 wood or driver and 3 of the par 3's would be routine up and downs for them.

Have to agree. at my course the par 5's would be no more than a drive and short iron, especially the 2nd which they could shorten by going over the dog leg. We have a couple of par 4's that would be almost, if not reachable and even our tough 200+ yard par 3's shouldn't pose a problem.