How WHS best 8 from 20 are selected

tnjgb

Visit site
I have been writing a calculation spreadsheet from my Handicap Index and have run into an issue over how the best 8 score differentials are selected in the England Golf records. I realise that this issue does not change the calculation results but it intrigues me as to why my calculation does not select the same score differentials as England Golf when the figures are identical. I have four identical score differentials (29.1) which come in as equal 7th, (inc 8th, 9th and 10th) in my top 20 scores. What is used to sort between these four identical score differentials and decide which two become 7th and 8th and are used in my handicap index calculation? I thought it might be date or Handicap Index when played, but there is no pattern here. I would like my calculation to select the same score differentials as England Golf.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It only of significance when these scores move to the 20th/21st position. I can't see why the algorithm would need any other information than the Score Differential.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I have been writing a calculation spreadsheet from my Handicap Index and have run into an issue over how the best 8 score differentials are selected in the England Golf records. I realise that this issue does not change the calculation results but it intrigues me as to why my calculation does not select the same score differentials as England Golf when the figures are identical. I have four identical score differentials (29.1) which come in as equal 7th, (inc 8th, 9th and 10th) in my top 20 scores. What is used to sort between these four identical score differentials and decide which two become 7th and 8th and are used in my handicap index calculation? I thought it might be date or Handicap Index when played, but there is no pattern here. I would like my calculation to select the same score differentials as England Golf.
There's got to be a way
Might be earliest counts first if two are identical or maybe the latest score overwrites if two are the same
Computers don't use random, so maybe it's using unrounded score differentials
If you find out, I would love to know

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On mine where I have two identical scores it uses the most recent one. In that way it will still be in the calculation, if relevant, and the oldest one falls out of the 20/8 first.

nyckuk

Visit site
Im sure it done by date ( Well mine is) , newest selected
Ive got 5x 20.1 score Diff's , 2 are used for my 7th & 8th calculation out of the 5 .
The 2 that are used are my newest ones
InkedWHS_LI.jpg

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
tnjgb said:
Differentials are calculated to 1 dec place and that is how they are displayed.

How are they shown on your WHS record? Have you included date in the spreadsheet sort? Are you using Excel?

Edit: nyckuk & jim8flog seem to have resolved it whilst I was thinking and typing

Last edited:

tnjgb

Visit site
Thanks for looking.

This is from England Golf web page latest 20 scores and I still cannot identify why some specific 29.1 score diffs have been selected (green dot) in preference to others.

1620757705588.png

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for looking.

This is from England Golf web page latest 20 scores and I still cannot identify why some specific 29.1 score diffs have been selected (green dot) in preference to others.

View attachment 36575

Questioning but do not know why

The older 29.1 selected is from the Yellow tee but it is the newest 29.1 payed from the White tee that is selected.

Could be something to do with course rating.

yandabrown

Visit site
Thanks for looking.

View attachment 36575
Presumably it uses the non-rounded version as the one off the Yellow tee is 29.06946 and the ones off the white tees are 29.106060 making the yellow one marginally better and the other 3 are equal and it takes the latest one.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
There's got to be a way
Might be earliest counts first if two are identical or maybe the latest score overwrites if two are the same
Computers don't use random, so maybe it's using unrounded score differentials
If you find out, I would love to know

Presumably it uses the non-rounded version as the one off the Yellow tee is 29.06946 and the ones off the white tees are 29.106060 making the yellow one marginally better and the other 3 are equal and it takes the latest one.

I did suggest this earlier, wouldn't think it has anything to do with the colour of tees

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Thanks for looking.

View attachment 36575
More to the point, what happened on the 19th October, although I did once play with a guy who went round in 223 shots at Lullingstone Golf Course

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon it is working forward from the 20th score building the 8 best. Once it has eight, if it finds a newer record with same differential it drops the older and replaces it with the newer.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It only of significance when these scores move to the 20th/21st position. I can't see why the algorithm would need any other information than the Score Differential.

Can I ask if every time you play do you drop off your 20th score and replace it with the most recent and then that averages your best 8 scores.