Best 8 out of 20 rounds

kgchulk

Visit site
Hi everyone and thank you for any replies in advance. We run a golf league out of Pakistan and recently there has been confusion on specifically what is the definition of a Differential. In calculating your handicap the rules state you must average "the best 8 Score Differentials™ out of your most recent 20 scores."

My question is that we have a lot of members who only play 9 holes. So would they have to play 40 9-hole rounds to be considered as 20 18-hole rounds for differential calculations?

wjemather

Visit site
As yet, I have been unable to locate a copy of the Pakistan Golf Federation WHS manual, so am unable to answer the question.

However, "most recent 20 scores" really means "most recent 20 18-hole score differentials". There are 2 basic methods for accommodating 9-hole scores within WHS; the first involves pairing 9-hole scores so it requires 2 9-hole scores to generate an 18-hole score differential, and the second involves scaling them up so each 9-hole score generates an 18-hole score differential. As such, the answer to your question depends on which method has been chosen by the PGF.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi everyone and thank you for any replies in advance. We run a golf league out of Pakistan and recently there has been confusion on specifically what is the definition of a Differential. In calculating your handicap the rules state you must average "the best 8 Score Differentials™ out of your most recent 20 scores."

My question is that we have a lot of members who only play 9 holes. So would they have to play 40 9-hole rounds to be considered as 20 18-hole rounds for differential calculations?
Is there a Pakistan Golf authority?

It depends on which authority is responsible there.
The UK & Ireland have a different method of handling 9 hole scores to the USA.

The USGA and Golf Australia, in effect 'hold' the 9 hole score until another 9 hole score is returned and combine them.

Here in GB&I, the method is to scale up the 9 hole score using the same 9 holes that were played.
As follows:
Score Differential = (113/Slope) x (Adjusted Gross Score - Course Rating - (0.5) x PCC adjustment)

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Is there a Pakistan Golf authority?

It depends on which authority is responsible there.
The UK & Ireland have a different method of handling 9 hole scores to the USA.

The USGA and Golf Australia, in effect 'hold' the 9 hole score until another 9 hole score is returned and combine them.

Here in GB&I, the method is to scale up the 9 hole score using the same 9 holes that were played.
As follows:
Score Differential = (113/Slope) x (Adjusted Gross Score - Course Rating - (0.5) x PCC adjustment)
The Pakistan Golf Federation.
Prior to WHS, the PGF utilised CONGU UHS.

kgchulk

Visit site
Hi @wjemather and @rulefan and thank you for your replied. Unfortunately, the Pakistan Golf Federation (PGF) hasn't published or quite frankly done any work in regards to adopting the WHS; so a group of us are trying to at least implement the system across the golf clubs privately to maintain our handicaps according to the WHS. I have seen the USGA rule book with the combine method, but I have not come across the scale up method. Is it only in the R&A version of the WHS?
Also to ask the question again, in the combine method would you take the last 40 9-holes score and "combine" them into 20 18-hole scores?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
In the “combine” process, you would combine 1 with 2, 3 with 4, etc, where 1 is the first nine hole score, 2 the second nine hole score and so on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The scaled up method (as used by CONGU) is

A 9-hole score is scaled up to an equivalent 18-hole Score Differential as follows and rounded to the nearest tenth, with .5 rounded upwards:

Score Differential = (113 ÷ Slope Rating) x (adjusted gross score – Course Rating – (0.5 x PCC adjustment))

Where:
l Slope Rating equals the 9-hole Slope Rating of the 9 holes played.
l Adjusted gross score equals the adjusted gross score for the 9 holes played,
plus net pars for the second nine holes plus one additional stroke.
It is calculated using the 18-hole Course Handicap, based on the 9 holes played.
l Course Rating equals the Course Rating of the 9 holes played, doubled.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the “combine” process, you would combine 1 with 2, 3 with 4, etc, where 1 is the first nine hole score, 2 the second nine hole score and so on.
USGA Manual.

Note:
An uncombined 9-hole score will be discarded when it becomes older than the twentieth Score Differential in the scoring record.

Alan Clifford

Visit site

There are some detailed examples of how to do 9 hole calculations using the scaled up method in

GUIDANCE ON THE WHS RULES OF HANDICAPPING AS APPLIED WITHIN GB&I Appendix I – Examples Of Calculations Within WHS

See attached

Attachments

• congu_handicapping_advice_240122.pdf
    610 KB · Views: 5