How to work out how far I hit each club?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Following on from the thread about driving distances.

I was wondering what is actually the best way to work out how far you hit each club?

I was thinking maybe find a suitable area of ground and hit maybe 30 shots. Find the spot where the majority landed and then measure back to the point you hit from. Go through the process for each club in the bag.

Anybody any methods that they have used?

I've been starting to realise that a lot of times I'm guessing what club to use. I have a rough idea how far I hit each club without being fully certain. Then when not fully certain I'm maybe having doubts in my head while over the ball and not committing fully to the shot.

I've got my handicap to 8 but I think to get it down further this is something I need to address

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being off 8 you must be pretty good at guessing;) Seriously though the method you mention is as good as any. Get the range finder whack a few balls a measure back to where you hit them from.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have a SkyCaddie, you can use the "Mark Ball Location" facility to measure how far you are hitting each club. Either hit balls on open ground as you say and work out the averages, or use the facility over a period of time when you play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But how do you know where they pitch..?
Carry is the only distance that's important - roll cannot be controlled easily.
If you can't see exactly where the ball pitches then you're guessing snd then you're back to square 1.

A Trackman session could give you the info accurately

Or, on a quiet day, get yourself 150 yards from a green. Work out which club pitches on the green, then move forward and back to work out the rest....

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Went to a range yesterday, and for £18 you get a 45 minute session with distances, swing speed, ball speed or every club in the bag. You get a nice print out too.... Looked worth doing, might have a look next time I am there. Not sure which system it was, they also have the funky mat that lights up with your footprints for weight distribution....

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Slicer without being funny if you've got an eight handicap you should know exactly how far you can hit each club, know when to grip down and know exactly how hard you need to swing to get any given distance.

I'm not a single figure player and I never use a GPS however I generally know exactly which club to use to get the distance required given the lie of the ball and the conditions on the day.

My own personal view is that distance in relevant to conditions and how you are swinging on the day. For most players it's their perception of how far they hit their respective clubs for any given distance that dictates which club they use.

I dare say many players would be quite surprised as to how far they actually hit their clubs however the easiest way of knowing this is to either buy a GPS or by using the par 3's and 150 yd markers on the course to judge their distance.

Last edited:

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys. Just trying to see if being more exact will help me drop another couple of shots. Particularly with my wedge shots

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On our (small) practice area we have a chipping green (lawn) with a practice bunker. If I've got half an hour to kill I'll sometimes measure out 50/60/whatever yards from the bunker then play little pitch shots into it. That way you can tell how far it carries without needing a pitch mark.