How to hit / use a Driving Iron?

evemccc

Visit site
My 4 iron is 21 loft but as I like using irons off tees on tight / strategic courses (as opposed to 3W or controlled Driver), I am thinking strongly about investing in a 2 iron / driving iron.

Possibly a 16 degree Mizzy or 18. The shafts are longer and less loft will make it harder to hit, but the new breed of Driving irons are easier than the 2 irons of old, are they not?

How should they be hit, (it’ll be mostly used off the tee) compressing the ball and down on it, or more a a sweeping motion?

For those who have one, what factors influence your decision to use one when you do - aside from wind?
Thanks

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Your 4 iron is almost as strong as a 1970s 2 iron (20 degrees) and probably the same length.

I don't think there is an old equivalent to a modern 16 or 18 degree driving iron as clubs weren't weighted like that back then.

Although the modern driving iron has been built to get the ball launched, I'd think that the length of the shaft would make it difficult to hit down on the ball so I'd look to use a sweeping action like with a fairway wood.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
How should they be hit, (it’ll be mostly used off the tee) compressing the ball and down on it, or more a a sweeping motion?

Thanks
I don't think anyone should think about hitting down on the ball. Having the hands slightly ahead of the ball at impact is not the same thing, the club should bottom out at the bottom of the swing. The divot is caused, not by hitting down, but by the downward reaction of the club to the impact with the ball, the clubhead obeying the laws of physics. There is some very good slo mo video on YouTube to demonstrate this.

Most pros will advise us to use the same swing for all shots. Attempting to hit down with such a long club, with the kind of swing speed the average amateur has, will result in a very weak shot.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 4 iron is 21 loft but as I like using irons off tees on tight / strategic courses (as opposed to 3W or controlled Driver), I am thinking strongly about investing in a 2 iron / driving iron.

Possibly a 16 degree Mizzy or 18. The shafts are longer and less loft will make it harder to hit, but the new breed of Driving irons are easier than the 2 irons of old, are they not?

For those who have one, what factors influence your decision to use one when you do - aside from wind?
Thanks

Sweeping motion and commit to it.

I use them mostly on links and/or dry running courses. Or when a 3W or driver is too much and a 3i too little :cool:

Grizzly

Visit site
The thing I find with my Ping Crossover is that you have to commit to hitting it - I don't get anything out of just trying to place one out there.