How to handle a crises..........

TRS30

Head Pro
Visit site
on the golf course.

Long time lurker, first time poster!!

Was playing my regular society outing on Sat and my game totally fell apart. Had been playing well up to Sat and was a bit shocked when suddenly I couldn't seem to hit the ball at all. Drives were slicing bladly, catching irons heavy and fluffing chips!!

First couple of holes put it down to not concertrating but then as the round went on the harder I tried the worse I got.

Any tips on how to get the game back during a round when there is nothing obvious(trying a new swing, club etc)to put it down to??

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've had these games, the trouble is, once you start thinking about the mechanics of the swing it gets worse. The thing that helped me is reading the Bob Rottela book "Golfs not a game of perfect".

BTW Welcome to the forum.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Welcome to the forums!!

When i'm having a bad round, i dont beat myself up. I used to get really mad as i know i can hit the ball, just knwoing why i wasnt on any given day used to drive me up the wall.

Probably not what you want to hear, but now i just put it down to one of those days and resign myself to a bad score.

B

birdieman

That's just golf, we all get it sometimes, timing goes a little but a little is all it takes. :D

Consistency comes from a lot of practice so you can have a repeatable action.

Try to develop a simple compact swing, not too many loose parts.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just try to take each shot as it comes. If my last one was a shocker I just accept the fact it's going to happen from time to time and move on.

Easier said than done for some people, I know.

The other things I try to do are

I've learnt not to try an impossible shot for my ability to recover the situation. Keep it simple. If i'm not striking the ball well what makes me think I can nail a 3 wood from semi-rough 220 yards to the green !

Sometimes if I've had a few bad shots in a row I try to visualise when I've hit some great shots and how that felt. Helps get the bad one out you're head.

If I've hit a couple of bad drives. I might take a 3-wood or a long iron off the next tee. Get the confidence back.

I think if you start trying to change your swing when your playing you're just asking for trouble.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I find if I am playing badly that shorteneing my backswing gives me a better strike, and more control. It is only a stop gap, but it does prevent the day from becomming a wash out.

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
I played a practice round on my own a few weeks back and when it was coming together a wrote the scores down with pride, but this put pressure on making a good score and I starting playing a little worst for it.

When I put the score card back in the bag and started concentrating on the next 1 stroke rather than trying not to make 90 of them overall, I played much better.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
If i cant hit the ball for toffee or i shanking i play every shot with my feet together just to get the ball moving and the round over with

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to fall apart after 2 bad shots and walk round the course thinking I was an idiot and would never crack the game.

Now after a few lessons I know I'm never going to be able :D

No seriously had this on my last round;

First hole;

OOB right
thinned 5 iron
thinned wedge
3 poor putts

Second hole;
Slice onto next fairway
more thins
duffed chipped x 2

etc etc...........

Got to the 6th hole and thought right have a word with yourself.

Slowed down remembered my fundmentals from my lessons (quiet hands, not down the inside and more rotation through)and began to hit it better until the 17th (which has a curse on me).

If you have lessons off a pro ask them what you do well and remember these things on the course not what you are doing wrong.

TRS30

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

bobmac- i do have a pre shot routine but to be honest even that went out the window after about 5/6 holes i was that put off.

Have been thinking about it abit more and have started to convince myself it was a one off (i couldn't possibilty be that bad again, could i???)

Think most of it was in my head so I will have a read of Bob Rottela's book as a mate has a copy he can lend me.

At least I can get back in the saddle, as they say, next Sat and know for sure!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If it happens again, my advice would be to go back to basics. Stand well to the ball at address, keep a good tempo, and stand well and balanced at the end of the swing.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Make no mistake, it happens to us all, some more frequent than others, its best to forget it and move on.

If it comes back to haunt you on a regular basis then maybe get some help, otherwise forget it as there is no advice that can cure the odd day of golf like you describe. Start looking for help when and if it does become a regular thing in your game.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
when i'm having a shocker I just try to think happy thoughts!
let's be honest a golf course is not a bad place to be at anytime, shocker or not.

I try to slow down, because invariably when i'm playing badly I lose my rag and rush through the shot in frustration, and concentrate on a smooth swing and clean contact.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been there so I feel your pain. There is little you can do on course other than trying to rehearse a nice smooth swing and focus on a good tempo and making sure the basics (grip, posture, alighment etc) are adhered to.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
TRS30===welcome to the forum from a fellow Dub.
Advise is freely given as you have seen from the responses already given.

Where do you play out of?

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
It happens to all of us (but why is it usually me?)

I just forget the last one and try to play the next with a "swing" not a "hit"

Definitely don't start thinking left side, right side, weight transfer, cocking wrists,keeping left arm straight,front shoulder over back leg,pulling down like a bell ringer, getting the hip through first,transfering weight onto front leg,good follow through finishing high, good balance at end of swing, hold your finish position to see how you've finished

have I forgot anything?
just trying to emphasise that when you go into mechanics on the course you are lost!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely don't start thinking left side, right side, weight transfer, cocking wrists,keeping left arm straight,front shoulder over back leg,pulling down like a bell ringer, getting the hip through first,transfering weight onto front leg,good follow through finishing high, good balance at end of swing, hold your finish position to see how you've finished
have I forgot anything?
You haven't even scratched the surface :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=osD2U-s8i6E