How to get a Handicap ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah right ok well tomorrow i have a group behind me so may ask them

You might be lucky, but they could be playing a match or something so I think these things are better organised ahead of time. The pro will know someone who doesn’t mind at all playing with you to sign your card. Keep in mind they are not allowed to offer you advice so don’t ask, other than that they will have seen it all before so just play your game and treat it all as good experience come what may.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You will almost certainly find that you have to tell the Handicap Secretary in advance that you propose to hand in the card for handicap purposes or, if your club uses a computer system, pre-register using that. This is to stop you cherry picking which cards you submit after you know whether they were good or bad.

Prodavid116

Visit site
I got a email back from club saying i need to play 3 rounds with a current member so they can sign off my scorecard , think for now i will just focus on consistency and then next season go for my Handicap we will see

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I got a email back from club saying i need to play 3 rounds with a current member so they can sign off my scorecard , think for now i will just focus on consistency and then next season go for my Handicap we will see

I've just joined a club where I only know one other person. Who also didn't have a handicap.

I spoke to the pro and asked him to pair me up with players of a similar standard who he thought wouldn't mind signing my card.

3 rounds later, I'd met 6 really nice people and had 3 cards signed for my initial handicap.

Try to enjoy it and don't put too much pressure on yourself. Get your 3 cards in and see what you get. Then get playing and put as many cards in as you can. Your index will jump about a bit at first, but it will settle down quickly. Try not to worry too much about your HC and focus more on getting the ball in the hole as best you can.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You will almost certainly find that you have to tell the Handicap Secretary in advance that you propose to hand in the card for handicap purposes or, if your club uses a computer system, pre-register using that. This is to stop you cherry picking which cards you submit after you know whether they were good or bad.

For initial Handicap a player can chose whether or not to use a card for that purpose. As they do not yet have a handicap they do not have to preregister.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
With most ISVs you cannot pre register before you have an CDH No and handicap

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think this is something many clubs need to be much better at. They are happy for you to sign up and pay the money but wont then organise people for you to play with to get a handicap and without a handicap you cant play in any competitions - ive legt a club before due to this situation and feeling i was stuck playing on my own with no handicap.

The previous posts have good ideas - ask your pro to match you up with some people. Dont worry about your initial handicap - the higher the more shots you can take off it over time!

jamiet7682

Visit site
I was in the same boat recently. I ended up just putting my name on bookings for the medal, let the reception know i was putting in card for initial handicap then done the same with my playing partners. Everyone was cool with that.
Agreed i think clubs could do much more to help new members in this position as some people might be anxious about taking that approach.

I went out and played on my own for about six months until i felt comfortable getting round the course and knew i would be holding anyone up.

I now just stick my name on whatever booking suits me, everyone i have played with has said more than welcome to do it again if i see them booked on, got to know a good few people this way and now have a few groups i know are happy for me to join them.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed. A club should have a welcome wagon and do more to pair newcomers up with members. This is a common issue!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I was in the same boat recently. I ended up just putting my name on bookings for the medal, let the reception know i was putting in card for initial handicap then done the same with my playing partners. Everyone was cool with that.

This is what I was told to do when I first joined. Not a bad way of doing it if you're comfortable with the course already as you won't be interupting somebody's social round and everyone will be abiding by the rules of golf. I always felt like I'd be treading on somebody's toes though with a lot of the established 4 balls etc.

In the end I found out that two colleagues were members there so we ended up playing most Friday afternoons after work (we can finish at lunchtime) and completing cards that way.