How to get a Handicap ?

Prodavid116

Visit site
So im a member of a golf club and was wondering when should i start handing in my score cards and how do i get a official Handicap?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Start handing scores in as soon as you can.
Once you have 3 cards in you will be allocated an initial handicap.

Then just play as much as you can and let it sort itself out.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s a common concern, most people have it really. In the old system it used to be the best of your 3 cards not the average, not sure if it’s the same now? But here’s the thing, In the new system Only the best 8 of your last 20 rounds counts to you handicap, so you could literally shoot 100 over and it wouldn’t matter, it will be forgotten about in no time.

Get the cards in. You’ll see in a few weeks you were worried about nothing trust me ??

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Expect to need another club member to verify your scores, check with the club for specific details. With covid and a recent change of process there may be some variations.
If you can't sleep feel free to read up on the world handicap system (WHS) ??

Last edited:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, it’s based on the best of your three 18 hole cards, with various adjustments applied. I got my first handicap just before lockdown 3. No one else is interested in what it is, so get the cards in then you have something to aim at, and access to competitions.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best way is to have a word with your club pro. I'm sure he can help sort you out and get you going.
As for having a high handicap, dont worry about it and just think how satisfying it will be to have that high handicap and have it diminish as you improve.:)

Boomy

Visit site
The process: You put your 3 cards in. The club sets you up a CDH number. They work out your handicap. They’ll likely email you your handicap index/the info and then you can track it on the My EG app (or your club website if it’s like most clubs I know)

Edit: As mentioned above speak with your club pro or secretary and they’ll be able to go through it all direct with you ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not one in favour of getting cards in the moment you join a club however you should start doing it as soon as you know way your round the course (in golfing terms).

Once you have been given an initial handicap it can jump around al over the place as scores are added and it is important to try to get 16 cards in ASAP because it is only at that stage will your handicap reasonable stabilise.

You do not have to play in a comp to put in cards they can be done every time you play provided you have a marker with you. They are done on the basis of Stableford so you can still pick up - for initial handicap you can pick up when your score exceeds twice the par and once you have a handicap when your score is equal to or exceeds a nett double bogey (the point at which the score for the hole is zero points).

Do not worry about having a high handicap at most clubs you will only be playing against similarly handicapped player.

If you have not looked it up already they take the best card, any hole worse than twice the par is reduced to that, the score is totalled and then you get approximately 90% of the difference between the total and the Course Rating to a maximum of 54.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have not looked it up already they take the best card, any hole worse than twice the par is reduced to that, the score is totalled and then you get approximately 90% of the difference between the total and the Course Rating to a maximum of 54.
Where did you find that?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where did you find that?

I was quoting pre WHS. (I am not involved with initial handicaps any more)

Just seen it has changed to Par + 5 strokes (maximum) I never noticed the change, too much other stuff to take in.

"8 on a par 3 wow"

I have also noticed that there is now no other calculation shown in the manual.

Now deleted

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d been playing a few years occasionally, then more frequently for a few months until I put my three cards in. As a result, my lowest round of the three was reasonably representative of my best golf. Since then, my scores are relatively stable with the occasional blowout which won’t matter. I am slowly improving so would expect the handicap to move slowly down as a result if averaging.

This chart summarises the calc for the first 20 rounds

1620552240016.jpegand you can work through the finer details by looking online at the intricate details, or some of the other threads in this forum if you want to.

https://www.englandgolf.org/wp-cont...es-of-Handicapping-Player-Reference-Guide.pdf

I like numbers and stats so enjoyed a few hours working it all through to start to understand it. You don’t need to though - just play, write down your strokes taken, and hand it in. They (the software) will do the rest.

Prodavid116

Visit site
So only other thing is I play on my own most of the time as I don’t know anyone at the club would I be able to ask someone willing to sign my cards so I can hand them in as long as they trust me ?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
So only other thing is I play on my own most of the time as I don’t know anyone at the club would I be able to ask someone willing to sign my cards so I can hand them in as long as they trust me ?

You're supposed to play with another member. Have a word in the proshop or with the office and they will sort you out with someone friendly. At our club, we are encouraged to add ourselves to vacant slots on bookings, and so if you are brave enough to do that, someone in that group will be able to do it.