How to do dress codes on a web site - Bamburgh Castle

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm off to Northumberland in a couple of weeks on holiday and was looking for a course to play. So I was perusing a few web sites and came across Bamburgh Castle Golf Club, had a quick look on the visitors part of the web site and it said: -

Our dress code is at the casual end of smart casual. Rather than adopting rigid rules, we trust our visitors to use their common sense and respect fellow golfers. An example of this is that we allow jeans but do not want people to wear headgear in the clubhouse.

Course looks lovely, I really like that attitude (rather than imposing rules on how to dress like you are back at school, they trust grown adult golfers to use their common sense, a radical approach that will never catch on...) so I'll be more than happy to have a round there. Nice one Bamburgh :)

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Yep nice and welcoming that. Dress codes are the biggest off-putting factor for me. I only play a few rounds a year and as such haven't got round to buying dedicated golf shoes. So many clubs stipulate that you're to wear shoes specifically designed for golf. So my walking shoes are out then. Rubbish.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm off to Northumberland in a couple of weeks on holiday and was looking for a course to play. So I was perusing a few web sites and came across Bamburgh Castle Golf Club, had a quick look on the visitors part of the web site and it said: -

Our dress code is at the casual end of smart casual. Rather than adopting rigid rules, we trust our visitors to use their common sense and respect fellow golfers. An example of this is that we allow jeans but do not want people to wear headgear in the clubhouse.

Course looks lovely, I really like that attitude (rather than imposing rules on how to dress like you are back at school, they trust grown adult golfers to use their common sense, a radical approach that will never catch on...) so I'll be more than happy to have a round there. Nice one Bamburgh :)

Going in the right direction but spoilt it a bit. Why insist on hat removal?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh god. Here we go, I can sense the dress code police typing away as i write this!!!!!

Sounds good to me though

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Once you start defining dress codes you fall on the slippery slope.

I managed municipal courses for 20 years with the 'dress code'

Golfers should wear clothing and footwear appropriate to the sport.

We had very few issues as most folk apply common sense.

One of our youngsters turned up in a matching Hawaiin shirt and shorts one day.
The starter raised an eyebrow and asked me what I though......I said it was a great look......that's good he said so did I.:lol:

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Yep nice and welcoming that. Dress codes are the biggest off-putting factor for me. I only play a few rounds a year and as such haven't got round to buying dedicated golf shoes. So many clubs stipulate that you're to wear shoes specifically designed for golf. So my walking shoes are out then. Rubbish.

I think with shoes it's there to prevent damage to the greens. Plus the ability to make sure you don't slip everywhere if you have no traction. Not sure about walking shoes if they are heavy ones, but can't see an issue with trainers as most modern golf shoes look like trainers anyway. In fact some are trainers with a few cleats on the bottom.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played seahouses course about two to three miles down the coast and it is a gorgeous little course.
looking to stay in seahouses again next year with four pals and play a few courses up there. Let me know how you go on. Cheers.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
I think with shoes it's there to prevent damage to the greens. Plus the ability to make sure you don't slip everywhere if you have no traction. Not sure about walking shoes if they are heavy ones, but can't see an issue with trainers as most modern golf shoes look like trainers anyway. In fact some are trainers with a few cleats on the bottom.
When I say walking shoes I mean something along the lines of http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-low-mens-walking-shoes-183075?colcode=18307504
They have moulded grips and I've not had any slippage problems with them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Saw a similar approach on an up & coming course website:

" Dress Code - Golfers should wear attire appropriate to the sport and clothing should not be scruffy or torn. The dress code in the clubhouses is smart/casual"

If anyone's interested you'll find it in St Andrews ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Does that mean that the member who keeps his "perfectly legal" 15 year old, faded, non-ironed polo shirt and Chino's in his locker is ok as well?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bamburgh is a cracking course but a nightmare if the wind blows. Somehow they manage to get a view of the castle into virtually every shot and it really is spectacular. Alnmouth GC (Foxton) is a good one in that area, Dunstanburgh another fine test. Those three are a mixt of styles.

If you want to go pure Parkland then Linden Hall, Burgham or Alnwick are all good places to play.

Seahouses is very links, short, lots of odd bounces and with very good quality greens. I have not played Newbiggin but that is very much a links course and always gets good write ups. If you want a stronger test then further up the coast is Goswick. Again I have not played it but it is a course that gets knowing nods of appreciation from people who have.

All of the above are in the area you are going to. I have not mentioned courses to the west or south of the county. Feel free to ask for advice or with any questions.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Contemporary 'nudge' theory would suggest saying something like: Most of our visitors prefer to dress in [insert appropriate level of dress - jacket and cravat/golf attire/smart casual/anything so long as it is not indecent]. We think this is reasonable. Enjoy your day at Royal Lydd Golf and Country Club.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Bamburgh is a cracking course but a nightmare if the wind blows. Somehow they manage to get a view of the castle into virtually every shot and it really is spectacular. Alnmouth GC (Foxton) is a good one in that area, Dunstanburgh another fine test. Those three are a mixt of styles.

If you want to go pure Parkland then Linden Hall, Burgham or Alnwick are all good places to play.

Seahouses is very links, short, lots of odd bounces and with very good quality greens. I have not played Newbiggin but that is very much a links course and always gets good write ups. If you want a stronger test then further up the coast is Goswick. Again I have not played it but it is a course that gets knowing nods of appreciation from people who have.

All of the above are in the area you are going to. I have not mentioned courses to the west or south of the county. Feel free to ask for advice or with any questions.

Cheers sir, it's a lovely part of the country up there. I played Dunstanburgh a few years ago and really enjoyed that. Did look at Seahouses as well, but the friendly attitude of the Bamburgh website swung it for me. Plus it's only down the road from where we are staying which is a bonus. As I'm on holiday and will need the wife drive drop me off/pick me up, so proximity to our cottage is a good thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Who deems what someone is wearing as appropiate ?

Some people will always have an issue with dress codes - maybe they don't like being told what to wear but I will always follow whatever dress code the club have decided - that to me is showing respect to the members wishes

A clubs dress code for me will never determine if I play the course or not - the course will always be the priority

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that if you consider and take into account what other members and players might think of your attire, and you don't just wear what you want because you think you can, then you will be dressed appropriately.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going in the right direction but spoilt it a bit. Why insist on hat removal?

Simple - because that's what they want and they think it's what their members would want.

The OP was commending the club for being liberal in attitude and recommending a common sense approach. To then go on and say "use common sense except you shouldn't have a hat on in the clubhouse" doesn't quite follow through with that attitude.

I have no problem with any club deciding on how things should be in their premises.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers sir, it's a lovely part of the country up there. I played Dunstanburgh a few years ago and really enjoyed that. Did look at Seahouses as well, but the friendly attitude of the Bamburgh website swung it for me. Plus it's only down the road from where we are staying which is a bonus. As I'm on holiday and will need the wife drive drop me off/pick me up, so proximity to our cottage is a good thing.

The area around Bamburgh is stunning and the choice between playing Bamburgh and Seahouse is no choice at all in my eyes. Bamburgh every time, unless of course you are wanting a more gentle walk and play which the flatness and shortness of Seahouses gives you. Tricky still but easier in terms of distance. Bamburgh is a friendly club, good course, spectacular setting. Enjoy your holiday.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Who deems what someone is wearing as appropiate ?

Some people will always have an issue with dress codes - maybe they don't like being told what to wear but I will always follow whatever dress code the club have decided - that to me is showing respect to the members wishes

A clubs dress code for me will never determine if I play the course or not - the course will always be the priority

I think to be honest so will the vast majority of people will follow the dress code. I'll wear exactly the same when I play at Bamburgh as I do when I play my local goat track built on a pit tip as I will do when I play at Trump and Carnastie (well I might change my undercrackers). As I like to feel I have some common sense and know what to wear to play the game.

The dress code for me was not the reason for choosing this course. But with a few choices all of which looked very nice tracks, it was more the attitude that attracted me, rather than the fact that I could possibly get away with wearing jeans or dark socks with shorts or whatever. If someone else does want to wear jeans/dark socks and I see them on the course then as long as they are playing at a reasonable speed I will not give a fig. However I don't really want to wear jeans on the course, I'm happy to put the golf uniform on.

I just liked the fact the course came across as a little more 'inviting' on its web site which is where I feel a lot of courses fall down. And inviting courses can only be a good thing in todays golf climate so I felt it should be commended.