How to Choose a New Putter?

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am thinking about a new putter. Just thinking at the moment, mind.

But it got me wondering how I should choose a new putter?

What specific things should I look for in a putter?

I've only ever had two putters after 16 years and I grabbed the Yes! one in JJB in Dundee after a putting nightmare at Carnoustie.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree, there is no real method aside from trying as many as you can (remember to try some different shaft lengths a well as styles) and pick the one that works for you. Ideally head somewhere that has a proper putting green to try them on. Price and name mean nothing, just what works for you (my previous putter was a Benross Pure Red that I picked up for £20 but it worked better for me than anything else I tried at the time)

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
i await the responses with interest..... I was thawing out (after a session on the range this morning) and found myself at the putter department... what's a boy to do, but to try a few - apparently although I WAY prefer the look of an Anser stylee, I actually putt MUCH better with a mallet type....

guess what my next purchase is going to be :)

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know everyone likes to think there is no method, and so just pick one you fancy in a shop, I think otherwise. Why does everyone get fitted for a driver they may use at most 15 times a round, but neglect the putter, which will get used anywhere typically between 20-50(depending on the user!) times?

Get on a SAM machine, and get fitted.

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd start on what type of putter you like the look of first blade, mallet etc then it's just down to what feels most natural.

I'm only on my 3rd putter in 7 years. First was a cheap hippo blade putter. Second was the oddysey 2 ball blade and then swapped to the marxman blade a few years back.. Only went from the 2ball to marxman purely on looks and the resale value of the marxman.

Couldnt go back to a small putter now!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In my case they are usually passing infatuations. I've had a lot in the last few year (Rossa Daytona, Itsy Spider and the orignal sized version, Odyssey white ice #9, oddyssey 554 dualforce) and I'm too guilty of chopping and changing. I've got my original Anser 2 back in the bag from when I was a junior (and could play a bit) had it cut down to 34 inches and regripped and its serving me perfectly well.

Try as many as you can and also look at the differences in say a standard Anser type shaft and a cntre shaft as they will look very different at address and one may suit your eye better. Try and avoid putting in a store as the holes have very sharp edges which collect the ball rather tan the holes you get on the course. Try a local pro shop and use them on a proper putting green. That is the best way to judge feel

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But it got me wondering how I should choose a new putter?

Easy - take a trip to DG in Lincoln, hang around the putters until a well known putting guru appears, stick a v-easy under your pits and away you go!

You do get s few strange looks from passers-by as you are bending over with some guy stood behind you holding you by the hips though! :eek: :D :D