How often do you play to your handicap?

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would you say it was about 1 in 3 or 4?

I was checking my stats for the last 3 months and found that I had played below my handicap 11 times in 14 games and when it was over it was only by 1 and 2 shots.

I then checked my medal rounds from last year and found I played below my handicap only 5 times in 16 medal rounds at my home course but 5 times out of 7 when playing a medal at another course,I have been as many as 12 over my handicap on occasions at my home course but my worst away day score was 3 over my handcap.
I figured that I place myself under too much pressure to play well when at home and am going to try and just enjoy the round rather than worry about what I score.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Oh to be in the buffer zone. Since winning the December stableford I haven't shot any higher than 26 points (or lower than 90 in medals).

I was shooting below my hadicap regularly between July and September hence my cut from 20 to 15. I then managed to get it down to 13 but now it has climbed back to 14.0.

My game is in tatters at the moment and the chances of me playing to my handicap any time soon are as slim as Northern Rock being voted Lender of the Year

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
So far out of season this year (say 30 games) I think ive only fell short 3 maybe 4 times, compared to last year this is far better so Imactually looking forward to this year incoming!!

frasting

Club Champion
Visit site
I play to my handicap 1 in 4 I'd say. Although I have just moved clubs and am excited to see what will happen with my handicap this year.

T

thecraw

I am up and down more times than a whores knickers.

I go
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1
point 1

You get the drift but I usually have the one nightmare per round which Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Sierra my round and when you play off a low handicap one hole is all it takes at times.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive spoken to many different pros on this.. If your handicap is correct then you will only break it 2-6 times a year!

Rubbish.......If you are crap and never practice/have lessons, then maybe. I play to it 3 or 4 /10, sometimes more.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's very hard for me to type this through clenched teeth but.....

MVP, splutter, splutter, I have to agree with you. ;) ;) I was told it should be about 4 or 5 (bang on Divot).

In theory, if you are playing reasonably consistant golf without choking on good rounds or protecting h/cap (heaven forbid) and putting your cards in, your h/cap will be adjusted to reflect your best rounds. Should you be regularly playing at or below then I would suggest that your h/cap is too high. This is one reason that (cat 2 & 3) players get cut in multiples of 0.3 but only get back a max of 0.1 a qualifying round.

I'm as guilty as most in letting the pressure get to me in medals and have yo-yo'd between 14 and 15 for the last couple of years but following my lesson with Paul Foston (thanks again GM) I am now averaging about 1.5 shots less per round than before. So with a little luck and loads of application I am hoping to play better than my h/cap in a comp and get cut.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...but following my lesson with Paul Foston (thanks again GM) I am now averaging about 1.5 shots less per round than before. So with a little luck and loads of application I am hoping to play better than my h/cap in a comp and get cut.

you get lessons with paul??? You won the lotto???

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds good to me Jon

I'm hoping to see Paul again soon (at my own expense this time)to check that I am not slipping back into my old ways and then to look at other things. My eventual target is to shoot my age but it will realistically be a net score.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should you be regularly playing at or below then I would suggest that your h/cap is too high.

This is daft too! :(

If you play better than your h'cap you get cut.
If you play to it, you don't. I've had lots of rounds bang on (especially in the old days) and don't quite understand why so many players struggle to get close.....maybe it's because I don't go and hack it round without going to the range the day before.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting question, Toad. Got me thinking.

Didn't have a clue on this one so checked my Scoresaver stats for last year.... and actually found that I played to my handicap or better 23 times out of 50... half of those were at my home course but only two were in medals (out of 5). Quite happy with that actually. It's 3 out of 8 this year so far.

P.S. I'm not surprised you've beaten yours 11 out of 14 ya bandit. :D