How much golf, is too much golf?

Sekiro

Visit site
I’m fairly new to the sport (only started in the last two/three months), at the moment my weekly routine is:-

Monday - Chipping practice at local park (empty field where I setup my own flag).
Tuesday - Driving range / Putting practice with my Dad.
Wednesday - Mid-week 9 holes.
Thursday - Day off from golf (usually go bouldering).
Friday - Driving Range with the lads (customary pint after).
Saturday - 5k Park Run followed by 18 holes.
Sunday - Day off from golf (usually go bouldering again).

I‘m still relatively young (mid-30’s) but a few friends have said that I’m maybe overdoing it a bit and need more rest days between practice and playing. Obviously the golfing-bug has bitten hard and I’m very addicted to getting out to either practice or play. How does everyone else’s week look and do you think I‘m overdoing it and should I be looking to take more rest days? (I’m unmarried, single with no children - not that this matters but the friends commenting have family commitments and are lucky if they get one day a week to play or practice).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only you can decide that. If you become jaded to it then cut back, if not, crack on. Personally I tend to play twice a week in summer if I can, once a week through the winter, and don't really practise at all away from the course.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally think that’s a canny schedule think I’d get jaded if I was playing full rounds but practicing won’t do any harm

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No lessons in there?
Lots of practice is brilliant if you are doing all the right things.
A lesson once a month will make sure your basics are sound.
If you ingrain bad habits it’s very difficult to change at a later date.
But if you are fit enough that’s not excessive imo.
I played every day and practiced a lot when I first started.

Sekiro

Visit site
Are you allowed to hit golf balls in the park? - it's usually forbidden

Apart from that nothing wrong with doing something regularly - two and half rounds a week isn't a massive amount

I never even thought about it tbh, the park ranger has chased gangs of kids from the park when I’ve been there and he usually just waves or gives me a thumbs-up. Guessing he doesn’t mind and has bigger worries than me practicing chipping on a piece of unused land.

No lessons in there?
Lots of practice is brilliant if you are doing all the right things.
A lesson once a month will make sure your basics are sound.
If you ingrain bad habits it’s very difficult to change at a later date.
But if you are fit enough that’s not excessive imo.
I played every day and practiced a lot when I first started.

I‘m currently having a one hour lesson every 3rd Friday (just before going to the range), so probably about right for my current schedule.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
doesn't sound that taxing i'm 55 and play Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat and the odd Sunday. i don't tend to go to the range or practice much.

i'd try the 5 K run after golf though, thats not going to help you play well.... Oh and whats Bouldering?

D

Deleted member 25172

As long as you enjoy it and don't feel that you have to play just because you can, go for it.

I was put on garden leave this summer for a month and the first 18-20 days or so, I probably played somewhere around 22-25 round of golf. Safe to say that by the end of that spell I hated golf with a passion, but felt I "had" to play as I had the chance to do so.

Should've spent more time around the practice area that period. :)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Doesn't sound too bad to me. Before lockdown, I played 4 times a week (Sat/ Sun, and Tue/ Fri after work) and did Aikido 3 nights a week. Since lockdown, I play pretty much every day. Mostly 9 holes after work (working from home allows me to finish at 15:30 and be on the course by 16:00). Unfortunately, no Aikido for the foreseeable future, so we bought a rowing machine and do that for 20 mins 4 mornings a week. I hit the range some lunchtimes or in the evening if it's raining heavy, and have a lesson every few weeks on a Saturday morning. I don't think you're doing enough :p

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
doesn't sound that taxing i'm 55 and play Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat and the odd Sunday. i don't tend to go to the range or practice much.

i'd try the 5 K run after golf though, thats not going to help you play well.... Oh and whats Bouldering?
Parkrun is at 9am, you don't get to decide when it is, lol. It's an organised thing. Also if I did 18 holes and then tried to run 5k there's no way I'd make it. Especially not with two pints of cider sloshing around in me.

Edit: Then again I think the official Parkrun has been put on hold since Covid so maybe he can do it whenever he likes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Parkrun is at 9am, you don't get to decide when it is, lol. It's an organised thing. Also if I did 18 holes and then tried to run 5k there's no way I'd make it. Especially not with two pints of cider sloshing around in me.

Edit: Then again I think the official Parkrun has been put on hold since Covid so maybe he can do it whenever he likes.
TBH the pints of cider sounds far better than a 5K run anyway

Sekiro

Visit site

Currently doing the runs on an evening as it’s cooler but the Park Run once it’s back on is at a set time/location each Saturday so I’ll be doing it on a morning at 09:00

Bouldering is a form of climbing without ropes, usually it’s done outdoor on small boulders or indoors on a wall in a climbing gym:-

Outdoor:

Indoor:

Great fun and a full body workout for anyone that’s never tried it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Currently doing the runs on an evening as it’s cooler but the Park Run once it’s back on is at a set time/location each Saturday so I’ll be doing it on a morning at 09:00

Bouldering is a form of climbing without ropes, usually it’s done outdoor on small boulders or indoors on a wall in a climbing gym:-

Outdoor:

Indoor:

Great fun and a full body workout for anyone that’s never tried it.
if you can do all that.. and more a gentle walk with the odd hit a few times a week should be a walk in the park as it were:LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I got made redundant about 15 years ago. I would spend the morning job hunting and go to the club in the afternoon and hit balls or work on my short game. That way I could have my phone close at hand to discuss any offers. We have a bloke who left his large job about 3 years ago and hasn't worked since (one feels he's comfy and saved for the odd rainy day) and has played most days, either 9 or 18. He doesn't practice at all and has only gone down handicap wise from 14-11. He's simply not one of those that wants to work on his game, but a lot of the better players have told him on more than one occasion that a few hours per week on the short game and putting would get him much closer to single figures

If I was to get a chunk of time off again my diary would look something like this

Monday - pitching (60 yards and in) and bunker play + 9 holes
Tuesday - 18 holes - lunch and putting
Wednesday - chipping and putting and then 9 holes
Thursday - day off
Friday - 18 holes - lunch and holing out putting drills
Weekend - regular roll up or club comps

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Cant believe you only do one 5k park run - us serious golfers do a 5k run on a daily basis especially if were playing that day ??

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
I got made redundant about 15 years ago. I would spend the morning job hunting and go to the club in the afternoon and hit balls or work on my short game. That way I could have my phone close at hand to discuss any offers. We have a bloke who left his large job about 3 years ago and hasn't worked since (one feels he's comfy and saved for the odd rainy day) and has played most days, either 9 or 18. He doesn't practice at all and has only gone down handicap wise from 14-11. He's simply not one of those that wants to work on his game, but a lot of the better players have told him on more than one occasion that a few hours per week on the short game and putting would get him much closer to single figures

If I was to get a chunk of time off again my diary would look something like this

Monday - pitching (60 yards and in) and bunker play + 9 holes
Tuesday - 18 holes - lunch and putting
Wednesday - chipping and putting and then 9 holes
Thursday - day off
Friday - 18 holes - lunch and holing out putting drills
Weekend - regular roll up or club comps

Thursday - day off / update forum on progress ?