How Much Do You Spend

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
.... on lessons and practice?

Although my society handicap is 17, I am nowhere near that level and probably nearer 23 or 24. It would be nice to get down to about 17 or 18 by this time next year. As a result, I've recently been having the odd lesson followed by practice sessions at the range. Realistically, over the course of a year I'm probably going to be spending in the region of £300 trying to improve my golf with lessons and practice.

For that kind of outlay, am I being realistic?

Following on from this, how much do you guys spend a year on trying to improve your game - NOT including all the shiny new clubs, performance enhancing shoes, go longer/stop quicker golf balls, etc. I'm sure that there will be some for whom lessons and practice are an anathema, whilst others may see their pro every week or two and spend hours a week on the range.

So, come on, how much do you spend in a year and are the improvements, if any, worth it.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had 6 lessons or so when I played of 12 (about 14 years ago aged 19) and my handicap tunbled from 12 to 6 in less than 6 months, consistently hitting low to mid 70's gross.
I gave the game up for 6 years and rejoined with a 6 handicap, lack of practice and 3 additions to the family have really put the brakes on my handicap at the moment.

If you practice what you are being told, your handicap will tumble, if you take lessons and not stick to the new pointers, then you may or may not benefit at all. Its a bit obvious but the more you put in, the more you get out (practice wise).

Largsgolf1974

Assistant Pro
Visit site
not including shiny new equipment i spend zero, never had a lesson in my life? dont know why? My mate is a pro as well.....probably just see people asking him for tips all the time and dont want to bug him.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Total spend on lessons £0.00.

I'm not advocating anyone taking up the game should follow suit though. Wish I'd had lessons as a youngster but over the years have read a lot and tried all sorts on the range. These days just feel a distinct sense of "locking the stable door....." and would rather spend the dosh on a few beers.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ditto, zero for me. I practice occasionally, but never have lessons. Can't be bothered with either the time or money involved. I worked out a long time ago what is wrong with my swing, and until I can fix the biggest fault (I am still working on it), there is no point in paying for lessons to point out what I already know.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Practice:
This is a grey area for me. I work close to a range and go over there for something to do. I probably go about 4 times a week at £3 a go for 60 balls.

Lessons:
I have just started lessons for the first time and booked six @ £45 a go. The first lesson alone sorted my slice and has added yards to my shots just by doing swing drills. I have also become more proficient with my wedge too. I have a couple of lessons left to go which will include a playing lesson.
As for more lessons, at £45 each i will probably just have one now and then if problems start to creep back in.

I have not had a match since starting the lessons so it will be interesting to see how much they have helped.
Must admit just playing casually at the weekend things seemed a lot better.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I buy my 6 in blocks and usually use them in quick hits as I did on the short game at the start of the season. I had a lesson on pitching, chipping, bunkers, putting and a swing MOT at the start and end of that period.

Now I'm working on the tempo changes I've had one and got another booked in for November 14th and depending on how I've progrssed will see where we go next. I imagine that will be the last one until the new year and then we'll have the other four in quick succession as the tempo will move into a better coil and more clubhead speed through impact (if we ever get that far - its a real struggle so far - never taken so long to get a change right). I'll then have a couple of swng lessons at the start of the year and see where we go from there.

I suppose as they tend to overlap each year and having thought about it more I guess its probably about ten per calender year. No wonder HID is always complaining!

D

Deleted member 1740

This year ive had 6 lessons at £20 a pop and a few visits to the range at £5 a pop during the dark nights.

At most i would say £250 in total and although i've only dropped a shot off my handicap my all round game has improved greatly. I will have a couple more lessons over the winter months but my main target is to get to or around 18 by this time next year.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had probably 21 lessons in the not quite three years I've been trying to play.

I have to pass two ranges on the way to and from work but would sooner bypass these to the course. That said I do use the range, mostly when it's either too wet or too dark to play but I cannot say I practice.
Truth is, I have never learnt how to practice and it is something that I believe you need to be taught.
I seriously doubt that I am alone in taking a lesson, getting it right at the time but not having a clue what you did or why within a week.

I have not, however, given up. I have, I think, found a new pro, at a price I am willing to pay and within a reasonable distance. I will be contacting him no later than Saturday this week.

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
If you are going to have lessons you need to work out what you want to work on. I know most of us want a swing check and other things. I have just been on an golf course ran by the army and the Pro said that 18 HCP and below can hit the ball fairly well and get fairly close to the green if not on it where we have problems is not getting up and down in one from off the green consistantly enough and it is something that needs to be practised it makes total sense i have practiced this a fair bit and will continue to over the winter. Your Money will be well spent if you can narrow down where you really need to improve. Just a throught.

RB

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lesson once a month, £18. Prefer to use the practice ground at the club rather than the range because it doesn't cost me anything extra and I prefer hitting off grass. Will probably be forced to use the range in winter, 100 balls is 7 quid, probably do 1 a week

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What worried me was that there have been some on the forum who have said that they will be on the range 3, 4 or more times a week and in another post tell us that they are not reaping the fruits of their endeavours.

That could be £15-20 a week, say 40 weeks - £600-800 a year, plus lessons. £1,000 a year?? For that kind of money I would want to be playing off single figures after a year or so.

I think I will stick with what I originally anticipated spending and try to make sure that I practice the things I have been taught and not try to change things just because they don't immediately work on the range.

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
I pay £5.00 for 100 balls that i can live with but no way £7.00 going back to want pants was saying i agree if you pay for a lesson then work on what you have been taught and persist with it if not you are just throwing your well earned cash.

RB