How much did your wedding cost?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got married at Hanbury Manor. By the time my wife had finished blitzing my credit card it cost over £20k.

Some of the costs were worth it, like paying a bit more for a really good band. We negotiated a good guest rate at the hotel so loads of people stayed overnight which really made a big difference to the party mood, and it was good to see people at breakfast the next day, even though everyone was feeling rough :LOL:

Some of the costs were crazy (to me) like the wedding dress (wife probably still thinks it was a bargain), but it's the constant stream of superficial extras which bump up the total. For example: £150 for a pair of shoes to match the wedding dress, nobody can see them under the dress and they will never be worn again. So many companies just milk it and brides get caught up in the whole buzz of planning the special day.

Soon as you mention wedding price triples
Which is wrong

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got married at Hanbury Manor. By the time my wife had finished blitzing my credit card it cost over £20k.

Some of the costs were worth it, like paying a bit more for a really good band. We negotiated a good guest rate at the hotel so loads of people stayed overnight which really made a big difference to the party mood, and it was good to see people at breakfast the next day, even though everyone was feeling rough :LOL:

Some of the costs were crazy (to me) like the wedding dress (wife probably still thinks it was a bargain), but it's the constant stream of superficial extras which bump up the total. For example: £150 for a pair of shoes to match the wedding dress, nobody can see them under the dress and they will never be worn again. So many companies just milk it and brides get caught up in the whole buzz of planning the special day.
Most people do it, and there's the old rhetoric that's the most special day of your (her) life and all that. But when you think about everything you pay for afterwards - home improvements, kids etc... it really is stupid to spend so much on one big party essentially. But as I say, most people do it don't they.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no idea but it was worth every penny the FiL paid, it has been the only big one so far in our family and it was pretty much a long weekend as my side also linked it up with a long weekend at centreparcs.

It was just a wonderful weekend full of great people having a wonderful time, and gave a lifetime of memories.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most people do it, and there's the old rhetoric that's the most special day of your (her) life and all that. But when you think about everything you pay for afterwards - home improvements, kids etc... it really is stupid to spend so much on one big party essentially. But as I say, most people do it don't they.

We made sure we didn't spend too much

Just paying for other people really... Buying everyone else dinner etc

Best day of my life? Erm it's up there but nothing trumps birth of each kid

First day of school

Cost a lot less etc

I honestly think we do it just because we are programmed to

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
We were about 18k, got married in the cathedral then bused everyone to Nairn for the reception.
Cathedral costs were free as well as we were friends with the minister and his wife ??
We’ve talked about it later and although a brilliant day we would of rather had a small affair then do a bit of travelling.