How much did your wedding cost?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It was the cost of two rings and the registrar. If I recall right it was about £70 in 1992. The only people who attended were me & the missus plus my Ma & Da as witnesses. Don't know if we should count the cost of the breakdown truck that took us the last 20 miles to the registry office? (Had breakdown cover at the time so probably not ...)

Almost the same in '93 but I'd also bought some extra milk for teas and coffees to go with the buffet we did at home.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the year prior,.the cost was all we thought about.

From the day onwards, the cost was irrelevant.

I have no idea what it cost, nor do I care

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
We had a budget, it got blew out the water and I don’t like to think about what I could have done with the money rather than feed and entertain dozens and dozens of people I haven’t seen since (1 year).

1st and last time I hope even though it was a great day all in all and holds many great memories. That doesn’t change however budget or over the top, only the two of you that matter non of the pretentiousness.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the best weddings I ever attended was a DIY job.
Wedding dress made by the brides father [a mechanic]
Reception in local community hall.
Band were a hodge podge of guests who were good musicians.
Catering done by bride/mother and family.
Glass of fizzy wine for the toast then you paid for your own drinks
Totally relaxed affair which we all really enjoyed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Erm, about 12-14 grand I think, plus a hefty bar bill because the missus kept extending the free bar (doh). We had the reception at Moor Park Golf Club, it was excellent. Sadly I've never played a round of golf there though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the best weddings I ever attended was a DIY job.
Wedding dress made by the brides father [a mechanic]
Reception in local community hall.
Band were a hodge podge of guests who were good musicians.
Catering done by bride/mother and family.
Glass of fizzy wine for the toast then you paid for your own drinks
Totally relaxed affair which we all really enjoyed.
Sounds like mine!
Except for the dress that was bought.
My dad couldn’t sew.

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Daughter married 2 weeks ago.24 guests plus b&g, photographers and registrars. 30 in total. Meal was a superb barbecue cooked by the best man and grooms father. It was a fantastic day! Total cost around 7k as we had booked the venue for the full weekend.

sunshine

Visit site
Erm, about 12-14 grand I think, plus a hefty bar bill because the missus kept extending the free bar (doh). We had the reception at Moor Park Golf Club, it was excellent. Sadly I've never played a round of golf there though.

You should have negotiated a free round. Least they could do after you have written a cheque for over £12 grand.

sunshine

Visit site
I won the monthly medal the week before my wedding, had lowest gross and nett. My handicap has risen steadily since

sunshine

Visit site
Wife was doing the negotiating sadly, it must not have come up. :LOL:

We got married on a Saturday in June so we were paying premium rates. They weren't budging on price so I tried to get them to chuck in as many extras as I could. Top of my list was a free round - it costs the venue nothing (other than opportunity cost).

sunshine

Visit site
I got married at Hanbury Manor. By the time my wife had finished blitzing my credit card it cost over £20k.

Some of the costs were worth it, like paying a bit more for a really good band. We negotiated a good guest rate at the hotel so loads of people stayed overnight which really made a big difference to the party mood, and it was good to see people at breakfast the next day, even though everyone was feeling rough :LOL:

Some of the costs were crazy (to me) like the wedding dress (wife probably still thinks it was a bargain), but it's the constant stream of superficial extras which bump up the total. For example: £150 for a pair of shoes to match the wedding dress, nobody can see them under the dress and they will never be worn again. So many companies just milk it and brides get caught up in the whole buzz of planning the special day.