How much did your wedding cost?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find it unbelievable that many people spend £20K plus for a wedding that often lastsn not much longer than a few years and complain they cant afford a deposit on a house.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sixteen years ago and for absolutely everything I think it came in around 10K Well worth the money especially as my parents were there and they are no longer here and I wanted them to see their little boy finally married.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Getting married august 5th next year. It will cost approx 26k excluding honeymoon. I will only be getting married once and I want it to be a big party so I'm happy with it. Already own my house with no mortgage so it's not too bad.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How can a party be worth £26K? If you are very wealthy then I guess its just money but if not then there must be better ways than spending it rather than it all blown in a days party.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
As said earlier im in process of getting married, my mrs has been before me not. She said she wanted a small one and me also but when i think of it i want all my family n friends there and she now wants to share that with me. Also doing a loft extension first so either way ££££££££££

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's our biggest regret. We were the first of all our friends to get married, so had no idea and thought we had to put on this huge 'event' we spent about £20k and regretted spending that much ever since. That was 9 years ago.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I find it unbelievable that many people spend £20K plus for a wedding that often lastsn not much longer than a few years and complain they cant afford a deposit on a house.

@SR - nice to find something we can agree on :)

Even the rings things is mad these days

I think my wedding ring cost £50 from Zales - the Mrs ring cost £100. I think her engagement ring cost £300. And you know what - 25 yrs later we're still married.

Last edited:

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Got married earlier this summer and havent totalled it all up but around £25k I think, plus a £10k honeymoon on top. Wedding costs spilt 3 ways (both sets of parents and us) and honeymoon mostly covered by guests contributions. Worth every penny, best few weeks of my life.

rosswilliams

Club Champion
Visit site
Ours was a bit of a rush because we were moving to Dubai, and not sure re the rules about living together unmarried. It was a cheaper day but we had family at the ceremony, dinner after the some close friends for a bit of amparty at the in laws after. All in, it wouldnt have been any more than a few grand. It was perfect for all i ever wanted to do anyway. Wife would like to have a big doo if/when we move back to the UK.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wedding was about 12k in 2016 including 4K on a beautiful honeymoon (10 days) in Mexico with a few upgrades

My mate at work got married last year

At least 50k not including his honeymoon which was a 2 week round Asia trip all 5 star and first class lol prob 30k worth

Guess it’s what your willing to spend

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Total cost of wedding 11k for us.. including a 4k honeymoon as we hadn't had a holiday for 3 years to save for the house..

80 guests. Buffet and a free bar.. everyone had a laugh and enjoyed the caricaturist

lad I work with spent 12k on the engagement ring lol

oh all my costs included rings.. photos.. her dress, 4 suits for the groomsmen and a kilt for the best man

and the most amazing half batman half normal wedding cake lol

Just realised I’d already posted on this

The above post about the honeymoon is same lad who spent the 12k on engagement ring

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
When we got married in 2012, it seemed that the going rate for everything was roughly £1,000. i.e. £1,000 for a photographer, £1,000 for the cake, £1,000 for the band etc. Obviously this is a generalisation, and the scope of prices on offer is huge.

I'd guess there wouldn't have been much change from £10,000 - although we did do a few things ourselves such as making all the invitations, name cards. Also we just had all the guys wear their own kilts, rather than hiring 6 of the same kilt for everyone. And a neighbour, who is a funeral director, let us use their cars for the afternoon.

Wife and her parents were pretty much calling the shots and I wouldn't change anything, but it seems daft to think of it now and how much was spent, when we are 7 years down the line with 2 kids and at the time we didn't even own a house and now there are a dozen things we'd want to do if we were spending that kind of money today.

U

User62651

Think we were about £14k for the day all in in 2004, with a sensible head on I dare say we could have put that money to reduce a mortgage or whatever but Mrs and me wanted a traditional wedding with church service, vintage cars, ballroom, good standard outside catering, an event co-ordinator etc so why not, very memorable day and still fresh in the mind 15 years on. Think we had about 130 people and then another 50 or so just for evening dance/ceilidh on top. Is a lot of cash but we got some help from both parents. Gave guests a free bar which went down well.

There is certainly a hefty mark up around wedding goods and services but there are so many separate elements to pay for so you're likely going to get burned.

Life is short, spending some money on a one off special day for the spouse, family and friends is not a bad thing. You should be in it for the long haul though, wouldn't want to be doing it repeatedly.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
About $800 included wedding chapel, pastor, flours, limo, hotel

Got married in Vegas, spent the rest of the money we would have spent on the wedding on a 3 week tour of USA

Memories us and the kids will never forget, our personal preference to spending the money on the service, worked for us but not for everyone

D

Deleted member 18588

It was so long ago that I genuinely haven't got a Scooby.

Wife's parents picked up a large part of the total (the tradition in those days) with a significant contribution from my parents.

Two night stay in country hotel for the honeymoon, which we paid for. We were also going to pay for the wedding photographer but spent most of that on something for the house so only paid him for his time and the proofs.

47 years later we are still very happily married and have never been bothered by the lack of "photographic evidence ".

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
First time was that far back I haven't got a clue. Second time; probably £150.

Not sure how much the next one will cost. But the current one is still a keeper.

Wolf

Visit site
We're getti g married in August this year, quite lucky that my other half's dad is paying for the venue, which includes 8 rooms for us an close family guests, the whole day, night, DJ and wedding breakfast plus a breakfast next day for the over night guests. That all in will be around 14k, then factor in my MiL and Mrs Step dad are buying her dress that's about 1k, I've just paid for suits for me, my best man, FiL, Dad and my boys that was another 1k, bridesmaid dresses etc.

All in all the actual day total costs will come to about 20k, that's with us doi g some bits ourself to its pretty much 5he going rate these days and doesn't account for our Honeymoon which is 14 days in Mauritius so with that added in its a grand total of around 25k and that's with just family invited not friends etc it's a bloody expensive thing to do but we only plan on doing it once.