How many wedges.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm a high handicap (22.5) at the moment I carry 3 wedges a 46. 50 and 56.
Would I benifit from something like a 60 deg wedge and if so what do I drop from my bag.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes but a while ago. I play well with the wedges I have but just wondered if having the extra loft would give me more options.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say you would get more options from practicing with the wedges you have.
Others will tell you to get a 60 but I think its a waste of a club.
I have never had any more than a 56 SW and I never felt I was missing anything.
So in your case, 46W for the low shots, 50 medium and 56 for high shots.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with Bob's implicit suggestion about rekindling wedge lessons and practice....but would (humbly) challenge his assertion that a high loft wedge is a waste of a club - for you! He may never have felt that he is missing anything, but he is significantly more skilled at the game than you (or me)!

The addition of a (probably low bounce) 60* (I prefer does give general players more options, particularly if the bounce is also different from the other wedges. It can also/however be a dangerous score-killer too! Practice is the key to making any wedge work well!

Btw. I settled on a 58* having found that 60* was not effective (indeed a bad choice) for conditions like those currently (a bit soggy/soft). But that also meant an adjustment further down.

How often do you use your 5-iron, particularly off the deck? Do you use hybrids for tee shots? I'd be inclined to sacrifice the 5 (I actually have!) in favour of a 'scoring' (Dave Pelz's description) club.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that bobmac and Foxholer .
very rarely use my 5iron. So could drop that will get myself off to the club pro for a lesson me thinks.
i definitely want to get my handicap down this year.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for that bobmac and Foxholer .
very rarely use my 5iron. So could drop that will get myself off to the club pro for a lesson me thinks.
i definitely want to get my handicap down this year.

Do you find much difference between your 5 wood and 18 hybrid?

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I tired tried a 60 degree then 58 degree wedge because I thought they would help around the green, they cost me more shots last year than they gained, I was tempted to keep the 58 for green side bunkers, but decided to become more comfortable with my 56 when I was short side, so I have 46 50 and 56 and this gives more than enough options. At 22 hcp I would think the 60 would loose you more shots than you gain, the only other suggestion would be that I found a lower bounce on my 56 has given me more options in opening up the face

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anything in the bag that is more lofted than a 56 goes in and out of my bag like a yo-yo.

I have never convinced myself of the necessity for having a high lofted wedge

I find a 52 a bit more versatile than a 50 so if you need to buy new in the future.....

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
What sort of conditions do you play in? Here in Scotland we get the occasional but of wind so it's better to learn how to play low shots with a less lofted club. The only time you might find the 60 useful is in greenside bunkers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 60* wedge but it’s a difficult club to master.
Most ams just don’t hit it hard enough and end up duffing or thinning it.
The loft is so high that you almost need a full swing to hit it 40yds.
When they work they are great but when they don’t it can put you in even worse trouble.
If you can handle it it’s a great club to have.