How many wedges and what lofts?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Same thing you do with shots that are between clubs, or less than a full 60? But with all the wedges, so you have more trajectory, bounce and roll out options for shots inside 100 yards...

To go into more detail, and answer your question more fully. I have 4 swings that I regularly use (full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4). There not really that but the feel vs real is another thread.... I know the yardages for each swing for each wedge, and theres some cross over.

A 56 3/4 swing goes 84, 1/2 goes 74, 1/4 goes 52.

A 50 goes 105, 88, 60

So I've in effect got stock swings (so as consistent and repeatable as a full swing) but because speed is slower, strike is much easier to control.

So say I have an 80 yard shot, I've now got stock options that would go slightly long ideal for front pin,forced carry etc, and stock options for just short, harder conditions, downhill etc

I also have the option if I want to push the boat out, to tweak the swings, choke down the grip, change ball position in stance, that could add or remove a couple of yards, but like I say, that would be moving out of the comfort zone...

Hope that makes sense?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've got a 45° MP20 HMB PW from the iron set. I've then got a 50°/8°, 55°/8° and 60°/10° set of Ping Glide Forged wedges from Precision Golf.
I use all of them for full shots, including the lob wedge. Half shots and the like need more practice, but I'm okay so far.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not wanting to hijack the thread but a lot of people are saying they don't hit full wedge shots, usually with 50/54/58 wedges. What do these players do when faced with an 60 or 80 yard shot (for example)? Surely this is a full 58* (possibly), do they not hit a full wedge or do they prefer to try and 'manufacture' a half shot with a 50/54? I much prefer to hit a full shot as I feel it is more consistent but interested in what others do.
At the end of the day you're hitting a "full" shot ( be that 70%,80% 90% or whatever) with a golf club.
It's no different to hitting a stock 8 iron.
Hitting a normal stock swing with a gap wedge, sand wedge or lob wedge should be a shot you can hit. Doesnt mean you have to hit it all the time but there will be occasions when a full lob wedge is the only shot open to you..if you've never practised it, you won't hit it well.
If there are no obstructions then there's any number of shots you can play but, just sometimes, there's only 1.
"Full" wedge shots should be available to any player that can successfully hit a 9 iron.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
At the end of the day you're hitting a "full" shot ( be that 70%,80% 90% or whatever) with a golf club.
It's no different to hitting a stock 8 iron.
Hitting a normal stock swing with a gap wedge, sand wedge or lob wedge should be a shot you can hit. Doesnt mean you have to hit it all the time but there will be occasions when a full lob wedge is the only shot open to you..if you've never practised it, you won't hit it well.
If there are no obstructions then there's any number of shots you can play but, just sometimes, there's only 1.
"Full" wedge shots should be available to any player that can successfully hit a 9 iron.
Had to hit several full lob wedge shots on The Torrance course at The Fairmont the other day. They'd left the pins in the same spot as Sunday's final day, and I short-sided myself A LOT! ? One even led to a birdie.

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
I think you need to know your distances to know what gaps you need to fill and also consider whether you like playing a full shot or want to bump and run it a bit more.
Some folks are also really good at manipulating 1 club to get different ball flights / shots etc - I'm not

For me, I am confident with a full-ish wedge in hand and like to fly the ball in from 60+ yds with a high ball flight. It is a shot I practise a fair bit and has a fairly high %age success rate (for me) so I carry different wedges to give me the distances I am looking for.

My (old) titleist irons have a PW at 47 deg. For me, this is = 98 yds on the course.

I carry 3 vokey wedges above this - 52,58,60

The 52 goes 82 yds and the 58 goes 61 yds on a smooth comfortable repeatable swing.

This covers me for 60, 80 and 100 yds with a confident shot which I think is a good place to be.

(The 60deg I tend to use for bunkers and hero flop shots only). If I do hit it normally, it goes about 50-55 yds so is another option, but at this distance, it starts to come into chipping (with the 52) or even putting range for me.