How many shots inside 50 yards

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone, been away for ages, but back again :)

As part of my recent focus on getting better it has become apparent that I am hitting too many shots within 50 yards of the pin. I have only started recording this stat and the last two games I have played I have taken 54 and 52 in these rounds respectively. I had 31 putts the first week and 35 on Saturday there. Shot 93 the first week and 92 on Saturday.

What should be reasonable amount of shots for a 15 handicapper to take from inside 50 yards and how many do you take ?

Freewaytom

Visit site
as an 18 handicapper, I'm disappointed if I take more than 3 shots from within 150 yards.

I can usually look back and blame a specific bad decision on why it wen't that way too! e.g. going for pin when the centre of the green would have been the % play

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

As part of my recent focus on getting better it has become apparent that I am hitting too many shots within 50 yards of the pin. I have only started recording this stat and the last two games I have played I have taken 54 and 52 in these rounds respectively. I had 31 putts the first week and 35 on Saturday there. Shot 93 the first week and 92 on Saturday.

What should be reasonable amount of shots for a 15 handicapper to take from inside 50 yards and how many do you take ?
is that 52 and 54 shots within 50 yards including puts or just approach??

if not you must me playing a very very short course at the moment or you are missing lots of fairways and greens;)

Last edited:

sussexhacker

Visit site
I’ve not been playing long and realised during my last round quite how bad I was with this.
On one particular par 4 I remember driving it about 275 finishing the hole looking back putting down 6 and realising it had taken me 5 shots to the hole from about 100 yards.
If I want to get any better I need to seriously improve my short game

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You hitting a six iron off the tee these days?

Back to the opening question. From 50 yards I'd like to think I can get up and down 1 in 3?

I have never been a "stats" person and work off of "feel".

i don't tend to keep any stats either, just went back a counted the 6, two were from bunkers, thats not counting puts of course

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

That's interesting analysis.

I don't have a stat like that for myself, but might not be miles away from your stats.

I think it also depends on your strengths and style of play. Around my course, I tend to lay up on quite a few holes where I know there is trouble round the greens. So I'm probably reducing my number of shots from inside 50 yards and planning to get down in no worse than 3 from 75 to 125 yards.

If you are shooting 90, and take 50 shots from 50 yards and in... that suggests you are probably driving it ok, but missing a lot of greens and taking 3 to get down more often than you are taking 2.

So if that's the case, what does that lead you to believe is the best way to improve? Practice your mid irons more or practice getting up and down more?
Obviously both are important, but which is more important and where can you make the biggest / most effective gain?

For me, it would 100% be short game. 100 yards and in, and especially the short pitches and chips, laying far more of them stone dead, as well as holing a few more 6 to 15 footers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have worked hard on my pitching. That said I've regressed in recent games on the course especially in the 20-30 yard range but I haven't worked out how many shots I've taken per round. I wonder, and perhaps Bob could offer his professional advice, would you include putts or look more at GIR for example vs pitch shots taken and then look at up and down conversions

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not one who has ever kept those sort of stats but I do know my short game was better when I was a 16 handicap than when I was a 6 handicap simply because of the amount of practice I put in to the short game then.

I would always be looking to up and down for two shots then and probably did so around 50% of the time, but like many a thing at my age my memory of how good I was is probably better than I actually was.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A fair portion for me, I often favour the layup.

I don't see taking lots inside 50 as a bad thing as long as you minimise the shots outside 50. No 3 off the tee, no penalties etc.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Work on ure putting , thats easy to do. It will help bring ure numbers down. Set a target like jacko said. Aim for up n down one in three.ypu shud achieve all this within two months? Report back to me so i can bill u ?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not sure what the concern is from OP. Number of shots from 50yds in could be due to anything length of course to accuracy of approach shots or ability from bunkers.

I’d think more of about number of greens in net regulation and avg no of shots to get down from 20, 35 & 50 yds as they might be more useful stats.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What would be of more interest and something Game Golf use to give me was my approximate distance to the pin from various distances. I think that has more relevance as there is a world of difference hitting a 50 yard pitch to 20 feet and two putting every time and sticking it to 8-10 feet and given definite one putt chances.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So 20 ish shots for 15 holes still?
Seems better when analysing it to take out the putts. This weekend was 17 shots and the week before was 23 :eek: I had a lesson between the two games and some time on the practice area, so hopefully starting to go n the right direction. But still some way short of your 6 shots. It gives me an idea of what single figure guys are doing and how much improvement I need.