How many clubs would you like to see pros use?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Away from/as well as the possibility of less hot equipment and balls would you like to see pros using fewer clubs to maybe add a bit of artistry and ask a few more questions of them?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I wonder how many they actually use in a round. With planning they would likely just take the 8 or nine thay most likely need and it would have next to no impact?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Ah, but what club does he use for his second shot into a par 5? Par 5's to these guys are like par 4's to us.

He hit a fairway wood to one last week which looked really odd. Unless they're 600 yards the timber won't leave the bag

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Who cares? For some reason 14 was the number decided upon at some stage in the past, so that'll do fine.

Robert Rock said this which is why I'm interested. I care as I think golf is everything by numbers these days and, as great as custom fitting is, there is a club for every occasion.

"If we were to drop to 13 the 5-wood would be the first club to go, which would leave a big gap between my 3-wood and 4-iron, and if we then were only allowed to carry 12 clubs then that would be really interesting. Now I would have to miss out on both my 5w/3i and my lob wedge and that would make it a very different game. If I only had a 56˚ wedge I probably wouldn't even attempt some shots but with more loft I'm OK and I'm not sure that's right. Today's short-game stars would prosper and there would be more emphasis on skill so I don't think it would be the worst move (in the professional game) if there was a limit to how much loft you could have in your wedges."

All that said, I see we both carry the Sure Out wedge (which is amazing)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Robert Rock said this which is why I'm interested. I care as I think golf is everything by numbers these days and, as great as custom fitting is, there is a club for every occasion.

"If we were to drop to 13 the 5-wood would be the first club to go, which would leave a big gap between my 3-wood and 4-iron, and if we then were only allowed to carry 12 clubs then that would be really interesting. Now I would have to miss out on both my 5w/3i and my lob wedge and that would make it a very different game. If I only had a 56˚ wedge I probably wouldn't even attempt some shots but with more loft I'm OK and I'm not sure that's right. Today's short-game stars would prosper and there would be more emphasis on skill so I don't think it would be the worst move (in the professional game) if there was a limit to how much loft you could have in your wedges."

The thing is, iron sets are probably gapped with a 14-set in mind. If it had always been 12, they might have made irons with 5 or 5.5 degree gaps instead 4 degrees, or whatever. So that would cover for one missing club, probably.

Yeah the Sure Out has been a great addition. Even if I had to go down to 12 or 13 clubs I'd probably drop one of my other wedges before I drop that one.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

That's a really interesting point.

The 14 club rule was made presumably donkeys years ago and I'd imagine the reasons bear no relation to the modern professional game. I think Jiminez has said something similar that with fewer clubs there would be more emphasis on manufacturing shots rather than having a club to do it. The legend that Seve learnt to play golf with only a 3 iron and so can to learn how to manipulate the club more.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Original question, 14.

But I wouldn't be unhappy to see the maximum number of clubs lowered. We are conditioned to thinking that each iron has 4 degrees in loft difference, if that was extended to 6 degrees we could do away with 2 clubs straight away.
They could limit the number of clubs under 20 degress to 2 max, and maybe limit the max number of clubs over 46 degrees to 2.

The net result?
Our scores would almost certainly be exactly the same and golf equipment would be cheaper (keep dreaming on that one).

I'm not sure anything would need changing in terms of loft, iff it went down to 12 say, chances are you would lose the 60 degree and 5 wood. the main set of irons would be intact.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Original question, 14.

But I wouldn't be unhappy to see the maximum number of clubs lowered. We are conditioned to thinking that each iron has 4 degrees in loft difference, if that was extended to 6 degrees we could do away with 2 clubs straight away.
They could limit the number of clubs under 20 degress to 2 max, and maybe limit the max number of clubs over 46 degrees to 2.

The net result?
Our scores would almost certainly be exactly the same and golf equipment would be cheaper (keep dreaming on that one).

Yeah, think it's the wedge end of things where it would be good to limit a bit for the pros. They can obviously fudge the lofts to make them work with the irons, I always like the idea of just having the lofts on the clubs but haven't got the brains to work out if that's a good or bad thing.

Agree on the scores, maybe even better as we'd maybe be more confident with what we have

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I'm not sure anything would need changing in terms of loft, iff it went down to 12 say, chances are you would lose the 60 degree and 5 wood. the main set of irons would be intact.

I've got five wedges (of sorts) but the only one I'd definitely keep is the Sure Out 64 which has saved me losing a dozen balls a year. The other four do pretty much the same thing ie not much