How long did it take before you broke...

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
100?

I have been playing for about 14 months now and still haven’t broke 100! I have been close on a number of occasions now but one hole always seems to mess-up my card.

for example below is today’s score card

13 (lost two off the tee and stuck in a bunker for 3 shots)

frustrating :mad:

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To be honest it took me about a year - but I am only now really consistently breaking 100 after 2 years.

But another note I never really practiced much in the first year I am now out 3 times a week.

My main problem is a wicked slice on several tee boxes - these generally materialise from nowhere. As per another post yesterday my game started -

Par (4)
Eagle (2)
11 - :eek: 5 from the tee - par 5 SI 2
7 - :eek: Drove the water - then thinned a SW into quarry.
Bogie (4)
Bogie (5)
Bogie (5)
9 - :eek: 5 off the tee. Par 5 SI 14.
Par (3)

In the end I had 39 points with 4 dings - this is absolutely typical of my golf at the moment. Loads of steady bogies and then the odd bo11ox made from the tee.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As you said frustrating - I know I have the ability to play to high teens - but I just cant seem to get the driving going, however, it is much improoved now with the G10 and a few more lessons.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

took me just over 1 year to break 100, doing it a lot more now but not all the time. Keep going and you will get there.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
100, about 6 months
90, about 12 months
80, about 2 1/2 years
70, about 5 years

Have only broken 70 3 times, a 68 at my previous home course par 70 is still my only round under par to date, both other sub 70's came at a local par 67 course.

mikest

Club Champion
www.middlesbroughgolfclub.co.uk
think when I started playing at about 9-10 it took me around a year, I broke 80 when I was 13 year old and then broke 70 at about 16, I'n now 28 and I haven't done it since! I've had quite a few 72's and a 71 but I changed courses a few years ago and its much more of a test than my junior course (Wilton).I suppose its also down to playing so much as a kid and also the lack of fear when I was a junior. These days I play a bit more conservatively.

Mickey I have a friend who has been playing the same amount of time as you roughyl and he's golf daft but has only broke 100 once in that time. he has however made an awful lot of progress in that time and the difference is staggering although all he is bothered about is that 100 figure. Just concentrate on practicing your short game and be consistent in everything you do and the scores will come down naturally I promise.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't break 100 until I went for "real lessons" (not the starter 6 I had from a dodgy pro).

90......2 years or so (with crazy practice) 80......less than 6 months after.....(all in the short game)

Haven't actually played to less than 80 since 1997....

level5s

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the same problem but with breaking 90. I can rack up a handful of pars and another of bogeys but then have a few doubles and always at one 7 or higher on the card. just keep exploding.
out tomorrow and hopefully things will be different. looking for things to click but i guess we are all looking for that to happen.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been playing since oct, broke 100 about february broke 90 about april and recoreded best round of 83 last month. Dont think it will be too long before i break 80. As dave said, Its all in the short game.

I spent 2 and a half hours today with my 7 iron and Pw shooting to a putting green to flags at 15 and 40 ft. By the end of it, I was leaving all 15 of the balls within easy putting distance. I intend to practice like this once a week! And hope I break 80 soon enough!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My first score was 142 (you may get to here more about this in months to come) but I was down to single figures within about 4 years. Think I was 14 when I first broke par and was low single figures from 16-18 when I stopped playing for a while.

I now normally play between 80 and 88 in friendlies although I can still hit the high 90's in a medal!! Haven't hit 100+ for over 10 years

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been playing now for 18 months. I broke the 100 for the first time in about 9 months but still don't do it consistently even though I've since broken 90 - once.

The really frustrating thing about golf is that there are no standards by which you can measure your progress. By this I mean that you cannot say 'I have been playing 6 months therefore I should be doing that and after 9 months this'. It just does not work that way and you will only exacerbate the situation if you do think that way.

My mate, who is much better than me (for the moment!) took 2 years to break the 100, now plays off 11 after 20 years. Another took 14 months, then after a further two years plays off 5. We're all different but it will come.

Relax, worrying about the score is stopping you playing your best.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It took me about 18months to break 100, i then shot rounds of 98, 99, 95, 98, 98 in a row and have been back over 100 ever since with all sorts going wrong in the last 6months.

It does however look like i'm now going in the right direction, have been only just over 100 in the last few rounds and last night i shot 43 on the front 9 but it was too dark for the back nine, i was striking the ball lovely so was gutted i couldnt carry on.

B

birdieman

Have never scored worse than 99 in any comp - junior or senior. 1st ever card was a 95.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
100 - 2 months
90 - 5 months
80 - 10

Best score 78 par 70 sss65, short course of 5250 though. I started playing last August and down to 17.5hcp, but I did play a little as a kid.