How long are you Par 3s?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I take you're point on board. but its preferences really - and in the terms of realism - would a mid to high handicapper ever see the ball soar into the air and get backspin - probably not.

100% about preferences :thup:, which is why everyone's opinion is valid. It is an individual thing.

Would a mid to high handicapper ever see the ball soar into the air and get backspin?

Yes to the former, no to the latter. You can always hope though :D

[SUB][/SUB]

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Four on our course (you can click on the hotlink for the hole overview)
From the whites
No. 4 150 yards. Straightforward enough but surrounded by bunkers.
No. 7 200 or 217 yards dependant upon the tee
No. 11 220 yards. Definitely our most controversial hole on the course. 220 yards uphill with trees all down the right
No. 13 124 yards. Short but strong winds and surrounded by hazards make it trickier than you'd think.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh yes, that's why I use the term 'controversial' :D.
The video doesn't really show how much higher the green is from the tee.

Absolute monster! Number 13 looks amazing. That is my kind of par 3!

I enjoy a par 3 where you have to think about wind, slope, side of the green (slopes on the green or the miss area). A par 3 may be a full 8 iron or a well flighted punched 6 iron. Those are the types of decisions I want to make on a par 3. The par 3's where I am just deciding how far it is to the green is not enough for me. I want to dissect the hole and really think about it.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh yes, that's why I use the term 'controversial' :D.
The video doesn't really show how much higher the green is from the tee.

Yeah in the preview photo you get a sense of it. Walk off with a 4 and breath a sigh of relief I'd imagine.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I enjoy a par 3 where you have to think about wind, slope, side of the green (slopes on the green or the miss area). A par 3 may be a full 8 iron or a well flighted punched 6 iron. Those are the types of decisions I want to make on a par 3. The par 3's where I am just deciding how far it is to the green is not enough for me. I want to dissect the hole and really think about it.

Agree completely

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suppose Links courses have the advantage of the wind being just as much of a factor as the length.

our 4th Si 18 is 160, which can be 9 iron or wedge, with an easterly 2 iron or even 3 wood on occasion.

6th the same 185 off the white plays closer to 200 in the prevailing westerly, with an easterly, 8 or 9 iron.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Four on our course (you can click on the hotlink for the hole overview)
From the whites
No. 4 150 yards. Straightforward enough but surrounded by bunkers.
No. 7 200 or 217 yards dependant upon the tee
No. 11 220 yards. Definitely our most controversial hole on the course. 220 yards uphill with trees all down the right
No. 13 124 yards. Short but strong winds and surrounded by hazards make it trickier than you'd think.

That's a serious looking par 3. It'd be a par 4 on some courses!

11? Piece of cake :):)

5 wood on to front edge of green then get the putter out. (And walk off with a five :( ) But the 13th is killer - that slope short right is a swine to play off

Played the course for first time last summer - thought it was a great layout but dare say it can get a bit bleak in winter?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
100% about preferences :thup:, which is why everyone's opinion is valid. It is an individual thing.

Would a mid to high handicapper ever see the ball soar into the air and get backspin?

Yes to the former, no to the latter. You can always hope though :D

I would disagree with the point about backspin. It very much depends on the type of ball played . What I often see is that high handicapped golfers do not play premium brand high spin golf balls because they probably lose too many.

Right from the get go I probably hit the ball too high and playing with something like a Dunlop 65 or Slazenger B51 I used to get too much backspin.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

I much prefer that too. A thinking mans Par 3

Yeah in the preview photo you get a sense of it. Walk off with a 4 and breath a sigh of relief I'd imagine.
Absolutely!