At Home course :-

157 / 132
140 / 135
214 / 208
154 / 148

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you hear the pro's speak, they do not like long par 3's. When you hear commentators speak, they do not like long par 3's. When you hear amateurs talk about it, they do not like long par 3's.

What idiot keeps producing long par 3's? Who are they for? Is it just the ego of a course club saying how long and tough it is?

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hate par 3s , but to play along ours from the whites are,

6th 162
9th 172
12th 192
14th 191 (si 17)

Because of prevailing wind direction, you can end up using the same club on 9, 12 and 14 which makes it quite dull. 14 especially is the worst hole on our course and is just a glorified link between 13 and 15 and is a tough par without a shot. We are absolutely crying out for a 120-140 yard par 3 , with adequate defences and requiring pin point accuracy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you hear the pro's speak, they do not like long par 3's. When you hear commentators speak, they do not like long par 3's. When you hear amateurs talk about it, they do not like long par 3's.

What idiot keeps producing long par 3's? Who are they for? Is it just the ego of a course club saying how long and tough it is?
I don't mind the odd 200 yard par 3, if there's one on the course and the others are shorter, say. But any longer than that and I start having to use a driver to get there, which doesn't feel like a 'proper' par 3 to me, somehow.

I feel like a par 3 should be a test of the accuracy of your shorter clubs off the tee, not just using a driver to get it up as far as possible like you would on a standard par 4.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I feel like a par 3 should be a test of the accuracy of your shorter clubs off the tee, not just using a driver to get it up as far as possible like you would on a standard par 4.

Yup. That is what the most memorable ones I have played are like. Driver, 3 wood, rescue etc all get tested on par 4 and 5's. Leave the par 3's to the shorter irons, test the accuracy with them. Long 3's are just a chore.

Visit site
From the tips @ Hindhead;

3rd; 193 yards (SI. 9)
6th; 153 yards (SI. 17)
8th; 233 yards (SI. 13)
10th; 173 yards (SI. 14)
15th; 130 yards (SI. 18)

The 3rd is the hardest par 3 i've ever played, hitting a long iron with danger everywhere - if you miss the green, you're likely looking at a 5.
The 6th is a massively elevated tee, plays about 125 yards.
8th is a joke - frequently plays into-wind, but if you're long of the flag then you're dead because the green is so severe and fast that it doesn't hold the downhill chip/putt, so people are more likely to lay-up than hit a driver.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5th: 179, SI 13. A flat hole with trees left and (pretty tame) bunkers right, it plays down and left to right wind, so a difficult target to hold for faders with a mid iron.

12th: 138, SI 14.My least favourite hole, fairly unprotected except that it plays over a copse of trees, can be anything from an AW to a 6 iron depending on the wind and whilst into is relatively easy, it's impossible to get on front half of the green if downwind (even for our ninjas).

15th: 208 (can play 230), SI 12. Usually into wind, a long green with deep bunker right and long bunker left. It's a brute, shorter hitters lay up if they have any sense.

If you play these 3 in level par you're a very happy bunny. I'd take +1 going out (as would many others). Our 2s are usually split 6 or 7 ways in a field of 100+

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They look stunning. My girlfriend's parents live no more than 10 minutes for there. If I get my clubs over I will surely be dropping you a PM ;)

It does look the part. It shows the benefit of a really good fly over video as well. The 2nd hole is the standout one for me.

I think I would be packing plenty of balls if playing there, although looking at your h/c that is less relevant for you.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
2. 171
4. 212
9. 187
11. 197
15. 161

If I could change one thing about our course, it would be to take 20 yards off the 4th and the 11th, they are just too long for a lot of players to reach with anything other than a driver.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
2. 171
4. 212
9. 187
11. 197
15. 161

If I could change one thing about our course, it would be to take 20 yards off the 4th and the 11th, they are just too long for a lot of players to reach with anything other than a driver.
A bit long overall for me. I think every course should have one 120-odd yard hole just for variety.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
It does look the part. It shows the benefit of a really good fly over video as well. The 2nd hole is the standout one for me.

I think I would be packing plenty of balls if playing there, although looking at your h/c that is less relevant for you.

The 9th is out stand out hole. although not my favourite - the green is lightening fast in the summer. 3 putt is a regular!