How long are you Par 3s?

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
4th, 121 yards
11th, 198 yards
15th, 166 yards
16th, 232 yards

The 4th is an interesting wee hole, SI 18. It's got a huge green so no excuse for not hitting it but if you come up short you've more than likely got a bunker shot up a steep bank, if you go left it's pretty deep rough, if you go long it's a tricky chip back up a bank and if you go mega long it's as often as not a lost ball. You can miss right, although still not a straightforward chip, and there are a couple of bunkers over there too.

The 11th is often into the wind, which makes it a bit of a pig as you're often going in with a 3 wood or hybrid. There's a horrible bunker short right which is an avoid at all costs affair and another couple of tricky traps to the left. Not a bad hole but definitely a toughie.

The 15th is a good length and depending on the wind can be anything from a 4 iron to a 9 iron. Plays slightly uphill to a green surrounded by bunkers short and right, thick rough behind and a massive hollow to the left that needs a strong nerve to get up and down from. Good hole.

The 16th. In my opinion the worst hole on our course. Normally into the wind and even on a calm day it's a 3 wood at best for most folks and with a following wind still a long iron. The saving grace is that there are no hazards, which makes it an easy bogey even though it's a tough par. However, it would be much better if it was 40-50 yards shorter with a smaller green with a good amount of pot bunkers around it if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't know the exact lengths, but off the white tees ours are approx:

4th - 160
7th - 150
11th - 190
16th - 180

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you hear the pro's speak, they do not like long par 3's. When you hear commentators speak, they do not like long par 3's. When you hear amateurs talk about it, they do not like long par 3's.

What idiot keeps producing long par 3's? Who are they for? Is it just the ego of a course club saying how long and tough it is?
I'm with you. I play off 15 and don't hit the ball a long way. It's pretty tedious to have to reach for a wood or a hybrid nearly every time you arrive on a par 3 tee. Somebody else on the thread said that he has fond memories of shortish but challenging par 3's - it's a pity there aren't more of them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The par 3's at my place are one of the main defences and make good scores on these and you are well on the way to a good card. Off the whites:

1st 229 yards SI10
6th 178 - SI14
8th 139 - SI18
11th 178 - SI 7
13th 186 - SI17
17th 218 SI 13

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The interesting thing at our club (SIs based upon difficulty)

154/143 SI 5
156/139 SI 7
136/131 SI 14
230/217 SI 3

Shows that par 3s should not be considered as easy holes

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The par 3's at my place are one of the main defences and make good scores on these and you are well on the way to a good card. Off the whites:

1st 229 yards SI10
6th 178 - SI14
8th 139 - SI18
11th 178 - SI 7
13th 186 - SI17
17th 218 SI 13

That seems a poor design for a course to me, must be hard for mid to high h/cs to score well, to long and not enough variation imo.

D

Deleted member 1147

That seems a poor design for a course to me, must be hard for mid to high h/cs to score well, to long and not enough variation imo.

Actually there’s a school of thought that par 3’s are comparatively easier for higher handicappers.
It’s courses with a lot of long par 4’s that adversely challenge higher handicappers.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How can you possibly make that assumption based on numbers? You have no idea how each plays and the mid-high handicappers get a shot on all but two (based on my own 14 handicap).

Well 5 par 3s ranging from 178 to 229 does seem excessive to me and would suggest there is not much variation with holes this length hence my comment about course design, I take your point about mid to high h/cs having shots on some of these holes but as you say you have to play these holes well to get a good score.

Apoligies if you thought I was running your club down, it was just a opinion.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well 5 par 3s ranging from 178 to 229 does seem excessive to me and would suggest there is not much variation with holes this length hence my comment about course design, I take your point about mid to high h/cs having shots on some of these holes but as you say you have to play these holes well to get a good score.

Apoligies if you thought I was running your club down, it was just a opinion.

No apology needed. It's definitely one of the keys to scoring. Walk off 12 points (level 2's) and you've definitely gained 2/3 points on the field. What the yardages doesn't indicate is how some play. The first plays off an elevated tee and so shorter than the yardage. The sixth is tight with OOB left and right and so it requires a good tee shot. Again for the mid/high handicapper four is never bad. The eighth is short but heavily guarded by bunkers short and to the sides and so club selection paramount. The eleventh has a tight entrance but the ball will run so a low runner will get result. The thirteenth has a false front and a dip in front and again needs to be carried to the green. Most will take four here and look to make it up elsewhere. Definitely plays harder than the SI. The last par three, again has OOB left but the ball will run and so you can pitch it short and run it in.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hole White/Yellow

6th 222 / 192yds ....... mostly over water.
8th 187 / 174yds
12th 163 / 156yds
15th 214 / 187yds
17th 107 / 93yds ........ all carry over water.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually there’s a school of thought that par 3’s are comparatively easier for higher handicappers.
It’s courses with a lot of long par 4’s that adversely challenge higher handicappers.

And as a high handicapper, I'd absolutely second that. My scoring average on par 3s is pretty good (a lot better than on par 4s or par 5s for sure), and whenever I get the chance to play a pure par 3 course, even one with relatively long par 3s, I normally play quite a bit better than my handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Design is often based upon the land rather than what a designer would like.

The par 3s on our 9 hole course are situated where it would not be possible to have a hole of any other par and they are designed to make the most use of the available land.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, but look at the lengths :D. They look similar holes but my choice was a heck of a lot shorter :whoo:

Tbf my view on Par 3s is that they test out your accuracy. Not just with short game but with you're long game too! The reason people don't like long par 3s is either: 1) they can't hit a long iron/hybrid or wood or 2) they can't reach. But it doesn't mean its a bad hole for being long.
But perhaps one thing you need to look at is course management compared to your handicap and length of the hole - for example if you're off 18 your GIR is hitting the green in 2 shots not 1.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tbf my view on Par 3s is that they test out your accuracy. Not just with short game but with you're long game too! The reason people don't like long par 3s is either: 1) they can't hit a long iron/hybrid or wood or 2) they can't reach. But it doesn't mean its a bad hole for being long.
But perhaps one thing you need to look at is course management compared to your handicap and length of the hole - for example if you're off 18 your GIR is hitting the green in 2 shots not 1.

I think your long game is tested on all of the other holes so it would be nice if par 3's were testing your irons in the territory of PW, 9, 8, 7. Clearly, this is GM forum so 200yds is merely a flick of an 8 for most, but for normal golfers 200yds is in the realms of 5 wood, 3 wood or driver. Not much difference to a par 4 then as far as the tee shot goes, yawn. My opinion only of course.

I understand your point about high h/c using their shot on a par 3 but that takes a lot of fun out of it. Golfers want to go for the green on a par 3, not have to lay up or accept they will only hit the green 1 in 3 times. We want to see the ball soaring into the air, waiting for the drop, will it stay on the green, will it go into a bunker, holy cow was that back spin. You don't get any of that with a drilled wood to a long par 3. On one of the long par 3's on your drone shot it also looked as though anything short, left or right was pretty stuffed. It was a reach the green or else hole. That is fine for a short hole but for a long one, that is a killer.

I'm not asking for all par 3's to be 100 yards, although if you have ever played at The Hirsel then you will know how much fun that can be if the design of the hole is good, but a mix would be good. Let's have at least 2 below 150 yds, perhaps even 140yds.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I think your long game is tested on all of the other holes so it would be nice if par 3's were testing your irons in the territory of PW, 9, 8, 7. Clearly, this is GM forum so 200yds is merely a flick of an 8 for most, but for normal golfers 200yds is in the realms of 5 wood, 3 wood or driver. Not much difference to a par 4 then as far as the tee shot goes, yawn. My opinion only of course.

I understand your point about high h/c using their shot on a par 3 but that takes a lot of fun out of it. Golfers want to go for the green on a par 3, not have to lay up or accept they will only hit the green 1 in 3 times. We want to see the ball soaring into the air, waiting for the drop, will it stay on the green, will it go into a bunker, holy cow was that back spin. You don't get any of that with a drilled wood to a long par 3. On one of the long par 3's on your drone shot it also looked as though anything short, left or right was pretty stuffed. It was a reach the green or else hole. That is fine for a short hole but for a long one, that is a killer.

I'm not asking for all par 3's to be 100 yards, although if you have ever played at The Hirsel then you will know how much fun that can be if the design of the hole is good, but a mix would be good. Let's have at least 2 below 150 yds, perhaps even 140yds.

Yeah I take you're point on board. but its preferences really - and in the terms of realism - would a mid to high handicapper ever see the ball soar into the air and get backspin - probably not. Also if the high handicapper's used there shots more wisely - they'd score better and evidently enjoy their round better. IMO.

To be fair - the game has so many different skill levels of people playing. As you say your long irons are tested on Par 4's wit 180-200 yards to the green. Mine isn't, on a 300-400 yard par 4 I'll 9 times out of 10 have a PW in my hand. So my long irons are tested on the Par 5s and Par 3s.
Its just the various of skills levels that we have in golf - which is why its the greatest game ever to played! no 2 rounds are the same! Its amazing and why I love it!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its horses for courses. That's the beauty of this game.

I am not a huge fan of every par 3 being a slog. Obviously because I am not a strong ball striker. I also feel my chances of making birdie or heaven forbid a hole in one, decrease the further I am from the hole.

I enjoy the challenge of the odd long par 3. There is a certain satisfaction one can gleam from making par and thinking you have got a shot up on the field with that one.

Our local links has a lovely little par 3 of only 93 yards. I look forward to playing it every time. Always feels like a good chance of a bird but its quite easy to make a complete hash of it.

[video=youtube;RqRlyWj1A6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqRlyWj1A6s[/video]

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Whites to middle

#1 - 200 yards
#2 - 223 yards
#3 - 133 yards
#4 - 134 yards (up hill)
#5 - 165 yards (down hill)

2 on the front 9 are very difficult, 3 on the back down are straight forward